Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Something I Didn't Expect When Buying a GC

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-01, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Something I Didn't Expect When Buying a GC

I was at Wal-Mart. They came out and gave tickets for people waiting. I thought 'yay' I will be able to get one here. When they're about to let everyone in, the manager informed us that they only have 67 TOTAL GAMES STOCKED! So not only did they limit one console per customer, but one game per customer. Are games really going to be scarce?

That really sucks. I ended up getting Waverace. It was either that or some sports game crap. Now I have to go over to Best Buy tomorrow morning and pick up Tony Hawk 3 or Rogue Squadren. I'm kind of torn on what to get.
Old 11-18-01, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember, there was a real shortage of games on N64 for a while. The advantage of proprietary media for Nintendo is that they make more money off of it. But the disadvantage is that it can only be produced in a limited number of places. CDs and DVDs can be pressed in a lot of places. I suspect that only one or two Japanese factories are equipped for Gamecube discs.
Old 11-18-01, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Something I Didn't Expect When Buying a GC

Originally posted by troystiffler
Now I have to go over to Best Buy tomorrow morning and pick up Tony Hawk 3 or Rogue Squadren. I'm kind of torn on what to get.
Best Buy will not put a cap on the number of games you buy. In fact, they encourage it.
Their ad states: "Buy any 2 GC games and get $10 off or any 3 GC games to get $30 off".

From reviews, both of the games you're questioning are worth purchasing. I'm a THPS 3 type myself. Can't wait to get it on the XBOX.
Old 11-18-01, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went to Best Buy this morning. They still had 3 Gamecubes left for people who didn't wait in line. But no Tony Hawk 3. What's up with that?

I picked up Rogue Squadren and Luigi's Mansion.
Old 11-18-01, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by troystiffler
I picked up Rogue Squadren and Luigi's Mansion.
Did they honor the $10 off?
Old 11-18-01, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Centurion
Did they honor the $10 off?
Yup. I was going to buy the Pro BMX game and get 15 off, but I decided three games would be enough for a while.
Old 11-19-01, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ScandalUMD

But the disadvantage is that it can only be produced in a limited number of places. CDs and DVDs can be pressed in a lot of places. I suspect that only one or two Japanese factories are equipped for Gamecube discs.
How "proprietary" are 8 cm DVD's, though? From the rec.video.dvd FAQ:

"There are two physical sizes: 12 cm (4.7 inches) and 8 cm (3.1 inches), both 1.2 mm thick, made of two 0.6mm substrates glued together."

Do they need special plants to press 8 cm CD's? Doubtful, so why should DVD's be any different?
Old 11-19-01, 09:06 AM

I walked into my local Wal-Mart last night around 9pm and they had 3 Gamecubes on the shelf, and only the Star Wars game stocked. I was surprised to see systems left that late in the night on launch day.

Mike
Old 11-19-01, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama

How "proprietary" are 8 cm DVD's, though? From the rec.video.dvd FAQ:

"There are two physical sizes: 12 cm (4.7 inches) and 8 cm (3.1 inches), both 1.2 mm thick, made of two 0.6mm substrates glued together."

Do they need special plants to press 8 cm CD's? Doubtful, so why should DVD's be any different?
If I remember right it's Matsushita's encryption that is really proprietary, but to be honest I don't think there are too many plants making the 8 cm DVDs.
Old 11-19-01, 09:55 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by darkside

If I remember right it's Matsushita's encryption that is really proprietary, but to be honest I don't think there are too many plants making the 8 cm DVDs.

Yet
Old 11-19-01, 10:33 AM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Aghama

You don't need special Plants per say but the Dies that go into the molding machines need to be made, and the aluminum coating machines need to be different sizes also, even the screen printing machines have to be different, but take PS1 games as an example, when we were printing cd's we were printing PS2 games right along side of the cd's the only difference was the black die that went into the molding machine at the same time as the plastic. We also had a DVD production line so I imagine you could make PS2 games on there as well.