Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

3-Month Xbox warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-01, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3-Month Xbox warranty?

I heard from a friend that the xbox only comes with a 3 month warranty. Would anyone that actually bought the unit please confirm or deny this. If it is just 3 months, that's awlfully pathetic and says alot about MS belief that the system will last over time.
Old 11-16-01, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the standard warranty for most electronics.

The PS2 was 90 days as well.
Old 11-17-01, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The PS2 is also 90 days and believe me I know many who wished they bought an extended warranty. You need at least a year.
Old 11-17-01, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is the reason that I would really like to get a GC at BB instead of WM. I replaced a few PSX in my day and it would suck to have a GC crap out on me and be stuck. Almost all consumer electronics products do only come with a 90 day manufacturers warranty. The warranty that Sony or Nintendo or most manufacturer for that part only covers you against manufacturers defects, which does not include you playing it for 10 hours in a row.
Old 11-17-01, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

wowsers. My N64 was for a year. I'll see tonight what the GC is, but Nintendo tends to stand behind their product... hmm
Old 11-17-01, 09:34 PM

I don't know what the specifics are, but those saying that 90 days is industry standard are absolutely correct. I used a platinum card to pay, thus doubling the manufacturer's warranty. I wouldn't be surprised if your "1 Year Warranty for Nintendo" was 1 year parts, 90 days labor. That's another thing to do. What you don't realize is that you end up paying out your behind to get the labor done.
Old 11-18-01, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by mmeadows
What you don't realize is that you end up paying out your behind to get the labor done.
OUCH!
Old 11-20-01, 02:17 PM

You can buy an XBox extended (2 year) warranty for another $50.
Old 11-20-01, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They just don't build 'em like they used to. My old 8-bit NES lasted for years; even after it took it apart to see what was inside.

It'd be nice if they gave a 1-yr warranty, but the bottomline is what matters and I guess they figure you'll shell out another $300 for a system if your current one dies.
Old 11-20-01, 02:35 PM

Here is what I said about warranties in another thread...

Check with the place you're purchasing from or your credit card. Chances are that one of the two either offers buyer protection (that would be credit card - example: my platinum card doubles the manufacturer's warranty up to 3 years) or an extended service plan (that would be the retailer - usually around $10 per $100 of price).

I wouldn't buy anything from a manufactuer in the form of an extended warranty. From working in retail selling computers and other forms of hardware, I can tell you that the markup is 387% on a $1,400 computer. I would imagine the markup to be more than that for an XBox. Look at it this way:

$50 = 1/6 of a system. Do you think that you have a 1:6 chance of your XBox breaking? I doubt it. Maybe 1:100, or even 1:50, both of which are very low. This of course is assuming that it wouldn't break inside the already existing warranty.

As you can see... unless you're not paying for it, the extended warranty just isn't worth it.