Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Mom+Pop Video game stores, Customer Loyalty?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-01, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I refuse to purchase a game from EB or Funcoland in my area, because we have a great little 2 store chain that specializes in video games. I'm on pretty good terms with the manager of the one closest to me, and he has always done things right by me.
When the Dreamcast launched, I went to him.
-I bought all my software from him, passing up some minor deals along the way.
-I bought all the hardware from him too.

When the PS2 launched, I went to him
-Bought the system and all my games from him(not including the TRU sale )
-Buy all the peripherals from him as well.

The XBOX comes out, I have no interest in it, so I don't go to him.

But 5 months ago, I reserved a Nintendo GameCube in Jet Black color from him. He said there'd be no problem since I've always been a good customer.

Fast forward to today
I went over to the store and started talking to him. I asked him "Hey, am I guaranteed a Cube? or do I need to go to Wal Mart?" I figured this was all but a formality..he said "Well, our Cube shipments got cut, as Nintendo wants to get more units to the bigger stores like BB and Wal Mart, so I can't guarantee you'll get one. You're sort of near the bottom of the "might get" list. "
So, I sort of got pissed and said " Maybe I'll go to Best Buy and just wait in line, they seem to appreciate my loyalty on DVD Tuesday". And he's like "Are you gonna hold a grudge against us if we can't get you one? You're still gonne come here for the games right?" so I say "Well, if I buy a system at Best Buy, I'm gonna get the initial games at Best Buy too, since they gave me a system", and then I walked out.

For people who shop at/work at mom and pop stores, don't you think you should reward the loyal customers first? I shop there every Friday, and I'm on a first name basis with the owner and manager. But I guess I'm just pissed cuase now I have to wait in line for a Cube.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-16-01, 04:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only reason to solicit a smaller shop, besides supporting the community, is that they recognize you and see that you are loyal, and act accordingly. If these guys don't want to give a loyal customer a system, f-em. Especially since you reserved it 5 months ago.
Old 11-16-01, 05:08 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You deserve everything you get, Drunk Boy.

Just kidding. You know that I think you got screwed.

Loyalty good!
Old 11-16-01, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Static Cling
You deserve everything you get, Drunk Boy.

Just kidding. You know that I think you got screwed.

Loyalty good!
Thanks Frankie I always agreed with you. You need to get of that awful master though.
Old 11-16-01, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thunderball, you have every right to be pissed.

In a time when the masses support the big corporate chain stores, people like you who support a mom & pop shop are great. Maybe that guy woke up on the wrong side of the bed, or his old lady ain't giving him any, but there is no excuse for him NOT to GUARANTEE you that cube, especially since you put your name in FIVE months ago and you are such a loyal customer to them

I had this little comic book shop I used to go to. They would hold me comics, and other collectibles/toys they thought I would like. I mean I would go there weekly and drop $50 or so, and that adds up, ya know? It started getting to the point where they would hold me things I did not want and that were grosely overpriced and get pissy when I would not buy them.

I go in there a few years ago on Christmas Eve Eve to give those bast*rds cookies that my mom baked, and he says "Hey look what I held for you!" I said "Sorry, I just got that as a gift from someone for Xmas, I don't need it" And this was NOTHING I had asked him to save me. Well, he is livid.. he says sure go shop at the big book stores and do all your shopping with the big chains stores, and don't start whining when I go out of business. He take my cookies throws them in the backroom, and at that, I just left

I have been done with the "smaller stores" ever since. It's a shame, but when some of these small places get popular and develop a good reputation it goes to their heads, and they act like that...
Old 11-16-01, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes I agree that wasn't very cool of him to do that to you. Especially since your a regular at his store. Since I live in a big franchise area, there are rarely any local game stores. I don't even think there is one here (at least that I know of, the local video rental store however is awesome and is non franchise). But if you reserved it 5 months ago, know this guy really well, and shop there every week he should have the decency to show his customer appreciation to you. If you don't get the service you want, you shouldn't be feel obligated to shop there, thats that. Don't feel bad about turning your back on them, they did it to you first.

On a more positive note, I hear other stores are getting lots of GC's so there's a good chance you'll get one even if you don't wait 5 hours in line
Old 11-16-01, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Outlaw

On a more positive note, I hear other stores are getting lots of GC's so there's a good chance you'll get one even if you don't wait 5 hours in line

yeah, but everyone I Hear is talking about the Cube, they don't give a rat's ass about the XBOX.
Old 11-16-01, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The more important thing here is you are probably not the only person that knows this guy, and shops there all the time, and at some of the stores around here they have been take orders since last x-mas how do you know there isn't like 30 people who asked for one ahead of you. If he took a bunch of preorders after you, and they are getting one before that is different, but if the list is bigger before you I don't think you have any reason to complain. When I used to run a chain store regulars would always get mad if I didn't hold a new game for them even though they didn't preorder one or asked like the day before. So I don't think we have the whole story to judge.
Old 11-16-01, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Spicollidriver1
The more important thing here is you are probably not the only person that knows this guy, and shops there all the time, and at some of the stores around here they have been take orders since last x-mas how do you know there isn't like 30 people who asked for one ahead of you. If he took a bunch of preorders after you, and they are getting one before that is different, but if the list is bigger before you I don't think you have any reason to complain. When I used to run a chain store regulars would always get mad if I didn't hold a new game for them even though they didn't preorder one or asked like the day before. So I don't think we have the whole story to judge.

Understood, but I think what ticked me off the most were the following two comments

"There are a lot of great customers near the bottom of the list, the problem is, after the PS2 launch, all the once in awhile customers came in to reserve one of these for XMAS gifts, so there really isn't much to do"

"I spoke to "the owner"(name removed), and he said that we wont' hold a grudge against you if you decide to go elsewhere.
Old 11-17-01, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I see, thats cool then I'm glad it worked out for you Sounds like a nice guy.
Old 11-17-01, 06:04 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i generally don't have much store loyalty, i have more loyalty to my wallet