DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   X-Box as DVD player? Get um' now (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/157445-x-box-dvd-player-get-um-now.html)

Zinc 11-08-01 10:43 PM

X-Box as DVD player? Get um' now

Looking for an X-Box?

EbGames.com has bundles up for sale, shipping on 19th of Nov.!!

It is a DVD related post, and only a "deal" when compared with eBay, but maybe it will help someone who wants a holiday gift (or a new toy). -z

Centurion 11-08-01 10:51 PM

That's 4 days too late for some. :)

Rhelic 11-09-01 09:18 AM

Anybody who uses a PS2 or Xbox as their DVD player should be ashmed... go get a Toshiba SD1700 for $129 (look hard enuf and ye shall find).

Centurion 11-09-01 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Rhelic
Anybody who uses a PS2 or Xbox as their DVD player should be ashmed... go get a Toshiba SD1700 for $129 (look hard enuf and ye shall find).
Will this model play this great flick called 'Halo'? ;)

KoalSlaw 11-09-01 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Centurion
Will this model play this great flick called 'Halo'? ;)
No, but sega just announced Shenmue 2 is a Toshiba SD1700 exclusive title :lol:

goatweed 11-09-01 01:26 PM

I agree with your statement, however not many people are aware that the X-Box will offer progressive-scan playback - which the Tosh1700 will not. Not that I'm saying someone should buy this in lieu of a decent prog player, but there might be people out there who want the progressive capability and don't want to shell out another $200+ for a player after dropping $300 for the X-Box - just my two cents. I'm thinking of getting one myself - but for gaming, not movie watching.

mhantula 11-09-01 02:31 PM

I thought you had to shell out like $30 more to get a remote that allows you to watch DVD movies on xbox. Knowing Gates, the remote probably allows you to watch only 50 movies before its licence expires and you have to get a new one.

Eric F 11-09-01 02:44 PM

Not much of a bargain for what you get @ $330.

I might have shelled out the extra $30 if they had progressive output like they were saying, but at the last minute MS decided they didn't want to pay the liscensing fees, so they yanked it.

I'm hoping someone hacks it, because there's no reason it shouldn't do progressive output.

no_creativity 11-09-01 04:03 PM

dvddude,

I'm 99% sure that while Xbox has progressive output capabilities for games, it will not function as a progressive scan DVD player. I think that's what Eric F was getting at...

Centurion 11-09-01 07:04 PM

Originally posted by no_creativity
dvddude,

I'm 99% sure that while Xbox has progressive output capabilities for games, it will not function as a progressive scan DVD player. I think that's what Eric F was getting at...

You are both absolutely correct. I too don't see why it can't output DVD movies in progressive scan without some kind of software hack.

goatweed 11-09-01 07:27 PM

I'm 99% sure that while Xbox has progressive output capabilities for games, it will not function as a progressive scan DVD player
My bad, I hadn't heard that they scrapped this perk at the last minute. The last atricle I read was discussing it, saying that despite being a gaming console, it was what made it "stand out" a little better than the other consoles.

Either way, if the games rock on it, I'd like to buy one - but much like I do with any M$ product, I want to hear reviews from people who have had it and ran it through the mill before I go and buy one.

JaxComet 11-10-01 07:29 PM

I dunno.......

Game systems are for playing games. DVD players are for playing DVDs.......

RudeBoie 11-10-01 10:01 PM

Porgressive was scrapped because of licesning fees.

Michael Corvin 11-10-01 11:15 PM

1.) The Xbox Technical Support Rep told me that resolution on the Xbox is controlled by the Xbox HARDWARE and that the XBox can render ANY GAME AT ANY RESOLUTION UP TO 1080i. It has absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GAMES...

2.) HALO SUPPORTS 16:9 Widescreen play. PERIOD!

3.) The Xbox actually has PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD capabilities BUILT-INTO the system, but that the progressive scan function is turned OFF... and that there is nothing official currently regarding any future possibilities of being able to turn the Progressive Scan on, but THE HARDWARE IS THERE!!!

Neil Bruce 11-11-01 12:06 AM

Michael, that first point you made is pretty rediculous. Of course the software determines the resolution. Just as with any computer, game performance takes a hit the higher the resolution goes. Sure, the support rep was technically correct that the XBox CAN render games up to 1080i, but each game has to be specifically programmed to support that resolution. I haven't heard of a single XBox game that does go to full HDTV, in fact, the only HDTV game I've played lately is Rogue Leader for the Nintendo Gamecube, which I have running at 480p on a very nice widescreen rig. I've been playing games at 16:9 since last Christmas with SSX on the PS2 (Gran Turismo 3 is ungodly at 16:9).

Halo supports 16:9 mode, but as every review we have so far has said, it runs locked at 30fps. That would be a hardware limitation. The version I played at E3 was incredibly jerky and no where near a constant 30fps, so it's nice to see that they've improved it.

The Xbox has a video chip and main processor just like every PC, and it's up to the developer to decide whether or not to run their games at 1080i. If they do, they're going to have to limit the number of graphical effects and other game-building concerns in order to do so, which will mean for the vast majority of consumers without 1080i hardware the game they run through regular composite cables doesn't look as pretty as it could if it were optimised to run at a standard resolution. The XBox doesn't have some magical setting which allows it to run any game regardless of code at any resolution.

The only thing that MS has been consistent about concerning the XBox is misleading statements. No developer has come within a mile of their "theoretical" 125M Polys/sec, they've cut their once-promised progressive function, and now encouraging retailers to bundle the system with three games, most often without a choice. Not only that, but every bundle includes a forced memory card purchase that MS once claimed would be unnecessary due to the included 10GB (no wait, I mean 8GB now) HDD.

I don't see the attraction to the XBox, and having played it extensively, I really don't think it's going to catch on. In many respects the Gamecube outdoes it. Of course, the XBox has its relative strengths as well, but it is by no means the runaway technological marvel that it was promised to be. It's roughly on par with the competition, and anyone considering buying it shouldn't be misled into thinking it's a world beater, or that it's going to get even the lion's share of AAA games. MS has the toughest fight of it's corporate life on its hands, and as with all things MS, I'm taking a wait and see approach.

I already have several DVD players, and so far, there's nothing on the XBox that makes me want to hold its controller for long periods of time. Just going to wait for the inevitable PC version of Halo that will actually support a mouse and keyboard, and include online multiplayer, as nothing else that's coming out in the next 12 months for XBox is remotely interesting to me. Of course, that's just my opinion, and if people are happy with the XBox games, then I'm happy for them.

Deke Rivers 11-11-01 07:45 AM

Originally posted by Rhelic
Why is that? Although I had a DVD Player 2 years before I bought a PS2 several of my friends have used the PS2 as an introduction to the DVD world..They dont have any problems playing DVDs on them either..in fact I read more posts about people saying this "dvd wont play on my Toshiba " and "this dvd locks up on my Toshiba" on this forum more than PS2 users

JaxComet 11-11-01 08:34 AM

Originally posted by Deke Rivers

Why is that? Although I had a DVD Player 2 years before I bought a PS2 several of my friends have used the PS2 as an introduction to the DVD world..They dont have any problems playing DVDs on them either..in fact I read more posts about people saying this "dvd wont play on my Toshiba " and "this dvd locks up on my Toshiba" on this forum more than PS2 users

My Toshiba (SD-6200) has never failed to play any DVD.....

young 11-11-01 09:09 AM

i didn't realize there could be DVD player snobs.

i've got three dvd players (two more if you count my dvd-roms in my computer and laptop). toshiba, multi-regional AND my PS2. it works fine. its called convergence. you might as well say your cd player should be separate from an mp3 player from a dvd player.

the PS2 isn't the greatest in terms of DVD features, etc. but it suffices for a quick movie and i could easily see it as my only player (although i agree that since regular DVD players are only $100, you might as well get a dedicated player).

re the xbox, i think its alright for the $30 remote/dvd capability. i bought the PS2 remote and that cost $20 and if you really don't care about using the console as an all-purpose entertainment system, than, it saves you some costs.

as for dvds and locking up, the toshiba 6200 may not (yet) have any problems but the older toshi's do. as well as other manufacturers. so do PS2s (check IGN's PS2/DVD glitch list).

huzefa 11-11-01 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Neil Bruce
Not only that, but every bundle includes a forced memory card purchase that MS once claimed would be unnecessary due to the included 10GB (no wait, I mean 8GB now) HDD.

I've seen some places list this as a 6GB harddrive, and others as a 8GB harddrive. Which is it?

Anthony Soprano 11-11-01 09:43 AM

Just my personal opinion, but video game consoles are video game consoles and dvd players are dvd players.

John Sinnott 11-11-01 10:07 AM

And what DVD Bargin does this thread apply too....it's gone on so long, I've forgotten.

-Videophile

jw2299 11-11-01 10:54 AM

Originally posted by young
i didn't realize there could be DVD player snobs. ...

Haven't been here long 'eh? ;)

Seriously, I've never seen a movie played on a PS2. What's so wrong with it?

young 11-11-01 02:36 PM

its so weird that people would make it an issue that a console can play dvds. :rolleyes:

anyway, nothing's really wrong w/ watching dvds on the PS2 except that the PS2's fan is relatively loud. you can't see time on it. using the gamepad for controls kind of sucks. its not progressive.

btw, i use my dvd player as a cd player too (retired my cd changer a while ago).

beebs 11-11-01 03:18 PM

My DVD player can beat up your PS2 or Xbox anytime... name the place! :)

Trying to prove that one DVD player or Game Console is better or worse than another is pointless. The opinions and comments fly back and forth will ultimately prove more about those casting them about than which is a better DVD or Game platform.

I must admit, for once, there are some good points made here.

1. DVD player ability in game consoles (or computers for that matter) are great introduction to the medium.

2. There is nothing wrong with using a PS2, Xbox, or Computer DVD-ROM as your primary player as long as it works for you... who else matters?

-Beebs

huzefa 11-11-01 06:07 PM

You are all wrong!! Haha! Only MEGASTATION is best! Neighbors flee, will beat all who stand, MEGASTATION power!!!

Centurion 11-11-01 06:18 PM

Originally posted by huzefa
You are all wrong!! Haha! Only MEGASTATION is best! Neighbors flee, will beat all who stand, MEGASTATION power!!!
In my best Dr. Evil voice:
"Rrrrriiiiigghhtttttttt" :confused:

Michael Corvin 11-12-01 01:35 AM

Actual Bargain

Buy either system at Best Buy(other retailers do the same thing) and sign up for their charge card and get an instant 10% off. That is like getting a game for free.

x-box, 3 games and a controller = around $500
- 10% discount ($50)
$450
-------

So you could get the same thing above with a total of 4 games for $500, instead of 3.

Same with the gamecube.

-corvin

vwbeetlvr 11-12-01 02:18 AM

Re: Actual Bargain

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Buy either system at Best Buy(other retailers do the same thing) and sign up for their charge card and get an instant 10% off. That is like getting a game for free.

x-box, 3 games and a controller = around $500
- 10% discount ($50)
$450
-------

So you could get the same thing above with a total of 4 games for $500, instead of 3.

Same with the gamecube.

-corvin

uhh, no. The 10% off coupon is over. It was over today. Second, it does not work on video game hardware. Third, it does not work on video game software, fourth, it's only on 1 ITEM. PLEASE get your facts straight before you get other people's hopes up. Anyway, best buy IS OFFERING a $20 savings if you buy 3 games and a $20 saving if you buy 3 accessories. NO MIXING.

huzefa 11-12-01 08:12 AM

Re: Re: Actual Bargain

Originally posted by vwbeetlvr

uhh, no. The 10% off coupon is over. It was over today. Second, it does not work on video game hardware. Third, it does not work on video game software, fourth, it's only on 1 ITEM. PLEASE get your facts straight before you get other people's hopes up. Anyway, best buy IS OFFERING a $20 savings if you buy 3 games and a $20 saving if you buy 3 accessories. NO MIXING.

Actually he is talking about the 10% discount offered when you sign up for a bestbuy credit card, which is not really a coupon. It's more of a promotion, I guess, to get u to take credit with them. Anyway, you sign up, and automatically get 10% off your first order over $300. This is just off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it is. The discount applies to anything in the order, as long as the total is over $300. Warranties excluded, of course.

Zinc 11-12-01 08:39 AM

You had also better get to BB nice and early.

While not the insanity that marked last year's PS2 release, the usual M$ incompetance means that they are producing about 1/2 the promised consoles between now and X-Mas. It is a fair bet these will sell out and eBay will be the land of last resort before the holidays (which is where my X-Box will end up after I have spend some quality time with Dead or Alive 3 - I will be keeping a GameCube instead, a better "game focused" system with a proven level of quality and exclusive titles, and while M$ seems willing to throw a bunch of money at the X-Box, they have a lot to learn when it comes to actually delivering a quality product in a competitive area).

....also, while they "promise" to be shipping out consoles weekly, a few of my peeps that work at major retailers are saying that they are told of X-Box shipments on the 15th, mid-dec. and then January.

Michael Corvin 11-12-01 09:39 AM

vwbeetlvr,
I suppose I'm gonna post an actual bargain and get flamed for it. No one else was putting in a bargain. Learn how to read. "sign up for a charge card" is plainly stated in my post. I also stated that other stores do it as well, but I'm not going to spell it out for you, until I have my system in hand.

huzefa got it right.

-corvin

Neush 11-13-01 12:46 PM

....also, while they "promise" to be shipping out consoles weekly, a few of my peeps that work at major retailers are saying that they are told of X-Box shipments on the 15th, mid-dec. and then January.
This is wrong. I know for a fact that MS will have 500,000 units on store shelves the day it's released (this number includes those that were preordered) and that they will be shipping 100,000 units a week until mid February. Those stores that will only be receiving the incremental supply that you mentioned have to wait because they're selling bundled units, not the barebones standard shipping version.

Michael T Hudson 11-13-01 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
1.) The Xbox Technical Support Rep told me that resolution on the Xbox is controlled by the Xbox HARDWARE and that the XBox can render ANY GAME AT ANY RESOLUTION UP TO 1080i. It has absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GAMES...

2.) HALO SUPPORTS 16:9 Widescreen play. PERIOD!

3.) The Xbox actually has PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD capabilities BUILT-INTO the system, but that the progressive scan function is turned OFF... and that there is nothing official currently regarding any future possibilities of being able to turn the Progressive Scan on, but THE HARDWARE IS THERE!!!

This guy at the homethear forum has Halo on his Xbox running progressive but can find a 16:9 mode. :(

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000471.html

jpolce 11-13-01 08:59 PM

Originally posted by huzefa

I've seen some places list this as a 6GB harddrive, and others as a 8GB harddrive. Which is it?

it was originally a 10 gig HD but downgraded to 8GB

jw2299 11-13-01 10:41 PM

Still no one has stated why it's a crime against dvd nature to watch a movie on a ps2. What is it really? I don't know, I'm asking. I've never seen a movie on one. Is the picture and sound worse? Is it because the ps2 doesn't have the features that a regular dvd player has such as camera angles and "on the fly" subtitles? What makes it so bad?

Neush 11-13-01 10:50 PM

It's not "bad". Some people are extreme audio/videophiles and they look down on convergence products like PS2 for playing DVD, preferring in lieu a standalone player. These people are usually either a.)snobs or b.)people with more money than you and I. Personally I don't think you're going to be able to expect the same quality of DVD playback on a PS2 that you get from a good standalone player. For one thing it's not progressive and it doesn't include component inputs (to the best of my knowledge anyway). However, having said that are you really buying a PS2 as a standalone DVD player? Personally I'd buy it for the gaming and consider any ancillary value as a bonus. I've seen DVD's on a PS2 and while they don't stand up to a progressive player in terms of quality they certainly don't look bad and it's still exponentially better than VHS. So basically don't listen to people who tell you PS2 sucks for DVD. It's got a purpose and it fills a very importent niche, ie. cheap integrated entertainment. If you've got $700-1200 to blow on a progressive standalone.. do it, if not grab your girl pop some corn kick back and enjoy a fine flick on your PS2... I said NOW! :)

MasterofDVD 11-13-01 11:13 PM

I used my PS2 as a DVD player the first day just cause I wanted to see how it did. It was as good/bad as I figured it would be.

I'd much rather use my DVD player and leave the games to the PS2. You get what you pay for.....and I paid for the PS2 for games. It not as good as my Sony DVD player that cost 2 times as much so I simply don't use it as a player.

A PS2 is good if that's what you have fo movies but I wouldn't use it on a daily basis due to the other stuff I have. Just like I don't use my DVD-ROM for movies cause I think the quality is $hitty.

To each his own.

Michael T Hudson 11-14-01 07:24 AM

The PS2 does have an option for component video. To tell the truth I have only watched movies on it when I travel. It does the job.

Otto 11-14-01 08:59 AM

The only thing I'd have to say is that I wouldn't let the fact that one console plays DVD's or not sway me when making a console buying decision. I buy a console because of gaming, not because this one just happens to play DVD's too. With damn_good DVD players out for under $100, there's no reason to use the DVD capabilities of any console as a factor in deciding what to buy.

At the same time, if you happen to get one that can do it, there's nothing wrong with using it either. I just don't think it's a reason to buy a console, that's all.

jw2299 11-14-01 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Neush
...Personally I'd buy it for the gaming and consider any ancillary value as a bonus. ...
That's what I think to. If you don't already have a dvd player, and you want a ps2 for the games, why not watch movies on it too?