Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually played Rogue Leader?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-01, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve seen the screenshots for this game and think they’re fanfokkintastic. If Rogue Leader has good control and motion to match, I will be buying the system just for that game (all others can be bonus).
Has anyone seen this game in action? If so how does it compare to Colony Wars just for comparison sake?
Old 11-05-01, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Flay

The graphics are quite spectacular and the gameplay is very solid.
If Flay is saying this, then it must be true.
Old 11-05-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you goto any Target, they should have their GameCube demo unit now up. The disc playing in the GameCube has a playable demo of Rogue Leader. I played it for a while, hoping it would be good, since I had read so many good htings about it. But I just couldn't get into it. I just do not have good feelings towards the starwars games...so I am definetly biased. But I really played this one with an open mind, didn't help.
Old 11-05-01, 04:28 PM

I have not play RL yet, but I'am holding the game in my hands as I type this. I pre-order the game thru Lucas Arts and they sent me a RL magnet as a gift. I plan to play the game on friday at the CUBE CLUB in NY.
Old 11-05-01, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SirPablo
If you goto any Target, they should have their GameCube demo unit now up. The disc playing in the GameCube has a playable demo of Rogue Leader. I played it for a while, hoping it would be good, since I had read so many good htings about it. But I just couldn't get into it. I just do not have good feelings towards the starwars games...so I am definetly biased. But I really played this one with an open mind, didn't help.
I played Rogue Leader both at the Philly Cube Club and at a Target demo kiosk. I have to say that the hardware you play on can affect the experience. The tiny monitor at the Target display isn't really conducive to the "movie" feel of the game. I had a much better time playing on the nice big flat-screen monitors at the Cube Club.

I'm not saying this to take away from your opinion, just to point out that playing at the Target kiosks isn't exactly playing under optimal conditions.

With that said, I really like the game. It's nothing revolutionary, but it does offer some nice improvements over Rogue Squadron. First of all, your wingmen can actually do helpful things in this game, unlike in the original. You can give them commands using the D-pad. The targeting computer is also kinda cool. Basically, if you liked the control and gameplay of the original game, you'll probably like this one too. The big improvements in this game are, of course, the incredible visuals and sounds. All in all, I found it to be quite a lot of fun.
Old 11-07-01, 12:54 PM
Banned

Thanks, all. I went to Target and checked it out. Well, it did that thing I hate. Every time you roll your ship, it rolls to an extreme pitch and then rights itself as soon as you let go of the roll button. I much prefer the Colony Wars style control where your ships attitude is adjustable to any degree and keeps its position in 3D space unless you further adjust (or are hit). This whole spacecraft are airplanes with gyroscopes in them deal just doesn’t float my boat as much as true 3D vehicular combat.
Plus in CW, you can fly off in any direction you want (jeopardizing the mission of course) giving you the illusion of freedom within an immense reality. In RL, I didn’t get very far before they played a little third person sequence showing me being corralled back to where I belonged in the game. Waaah.
It’s kind of a shame that they haven’t married the Star Wars licensed designs with a space game as well done as CW and with graphics this nice. I love the targeting computer and really want to see some of those scenes with photo realistic fire trailing off injured ships. I will probably get this one day, It’s just that I’m not in as big of a hurry at this point.
Old 11-07-01, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I picked up my copy of RL2 from eb today, but alas, no cube to play it on yet... I knew I should have imported a cube, they finally found a working mod for it.