Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Deus Ex looks fun, I wish I could play it.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-01, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a search as this isn’t exactly the most current game but I couldn’t find anything on the subject.
I just got a deal on Deus Ex at Target and one of the drawbacks is that there is no manual. Well, I go to customize my keyboard and mouse controls (just like most third persons I’ve played let you) and everything seems straight forward. It’s spelled out on the settings screen how to go about it so I’m thinking, “hey, I don’t need a manual”.
I got around some minor glitches like don’t forget number lock and check all your settings before you click OK just in case you’ve duplicated commands.
Here’s the rub. Every time I go back to the game, it has forgotten the settings I just put in, remembered some, replaced others with new random settings and so forth. I tried going back and forth to fine tune the damn thing about 7 times before I just gave up. Setting these controls was like playing a Rubik’s Cube, every time I corrected the ones I wanted, different ones would randomly be altered.

My question is: Has anyone gone through this, does it make sense? Is clicking on OK after you’ve set the controls not the correct way to save your settings? Did I buy a defective copy??? (This would suck, as Target tried their best to not accept my defective Simpson’s DVD like rabid badgers and the thought of dealing with their return department again just makes me incredibly weary.)

If there is a trick to this aspect of the game, any info would be keenly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-24-01, 02:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got this game when it came out a while back, and I never had any problems like the ones you're mentioning. I guess you bought the jewel case version? If you're interested, www.compuexpert.com has a sale right now for the retail box version for $9.99, if you sign up for their 48 Hour Madness e-mails, which I highly recommend.

Deus Ex is an outstanding game... bear with any problems. It is worth it.

Denton good!
Old 10-24-01, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never had an issue with the controls, and I've never heard of anyone having a problem like that with Deus Ex. Dunno what the problem is unless you just have a corrupted install.

Tuan Jim
Old 10-24-01, 03:09 PM

Just write protect the .ini settings file.
Old 10-24-01, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't recall there being any trick to changing the control mappings. My friend gave me his disc without the manuals so I was in the same boat as you are. Maybe you can edit the .ini file manually?
Old 10-24-01, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hunh, don't remember this problem. Have you tried saving a game after changing the settings, then loading it later? Some games attach prefs to a save; don't recall what Deus Ex does.
Old 10-25-01, 02:07 AM

Deus Ex is actually first person, but in the controls section you should be able to erase every single binding for every button and command. Do that, and then assign stuff manually. Install the latest patch if you haven't and if you have a joystick or any other kind of game controller, take it out.
Old 10-25-01, 01:01 PM
Banned

Thanks all y’all! I’m gonna uninstall/re-install, mess with the ini files, download the patch and see how that goes.
RudeBoie, do you mean actually unplug the joystick from the tower? It’s a Saitek and has it’s own little software file. Do I have to get rid of that? The reason I ask is because this might be the problem as some of those mystery commands that kept popping up were joystick commands. I didn’t think of the significance of that ‘til you mentioned it.
I guess I’ll do it if I have to, but I like my joystick being primed for action.
Old 10-26-01, 03:39 AM

Kudama, see if you can uninstall the Saitek software and then power down. Then, unplug the joystick. It'll suck to unplug the stick, but at least if it works, you'll have found the reason why. Plus once you're playing Deus Ex, I GUARANTEE you won't even remember your joystick for a few weeks. Good Luck!
Old 10-26-01, 03:01 PM
Banned

If it comes down to that, I'll do it! Arigato.