Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is Funcoland the AntiChrist?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-01, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Funcoland the AntiChrist?

I remember liking them once. Maybe that was when they were a brand new store, and had reasonable deals on used stuff.

But everytime I go there now, either A: Their prices are RIDICULOUS for used AND new hardware/software, B: They don't pay sh!t for the game the buy from you.

Usually it's both.

When I went in to check out prices for used N64 games, they had Goldeneye listed for like 10 dollars cheaper than I could have gotten it for, new at any other store (after Nintendo dropped the price down to 29.99). Preposterous.

Any other thoughts on Funcoland?
Old 10-19-01, 12:36 PM

Not necessarily Funcoland in particular, but I did notice going to a couple of used game stores that the price for a SNES controller was really high. Funcoland wanted $20 for a used one and Gameland wanted $15 for a used one. I didn't realize these were in such demand.
Old 10-19-01, 01:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

Absolutely.

Like you I once remember liking Funcoland, maybe 10 years ago or so. I remember them having all the systems setup and not behind locked glass cases, and being really easy to have them throw a new game in there and being able to play it before you buy it.

I asked them if that's still possible recently, the guy sounded pretty doubtful and said "maybe we can make that happen if you really want it". Umm Whatever dude.
Old 10-19-01, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember when even EB used to rock, when it was Games & Gadgets.
Old 10-19-01, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes they are the Anti-Christ ! At least the one in my area. I've heard from other people that in their area its pretty good but not where I live, I avoid it at all costs! The last time I went there they also had that thing where they could put games in to try out so I thought that was pretty cool, the thing was that the guy who was working was so lazy I asked him if I could try out one of the games(can't remember which one) he kept saying "sure no problem", then "I'll get to it" (I was seriously going to buy it if I had the chance to try it out first).

Well I waited for about 10 minutes and he kept doing whatever he was doing with the paper list. I asked him again, same response. Then I told him "Well if you don't care about treating your customers right by ignoring them then I guess you won't care if I buy the game I was going to get at another store." So I left and got it at Best Buy. That place is gone now though, they've changed the name to GameSpot??? I might try going back if its a different store (mayyybe). It really depends on the people that work there but I do agree their prices are outrageous.
Old 10-19-01, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Absolutely.

I asked them if that's still possible recently, the guy sounded pretty doubtful and said "maybe we can make that happen if you really want it". Umm Whatever dude.

SOOOOO typical of lazy, fat, good for nothing customer service clerks. Why are they so useless???

It would be worth paying them a few more dollars PER HOUR, to hire, nice, reasonable, good, worth while, helpful staff. I am at the point where I won't even ask questions at some stores because they are filled with idiots who are good for nothing trash!

and, yes Funcoland is well overpriced!
Old 10-19-01, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, my experience with video game store clerks is usually pretty negative. Laziness is the biggest thing. I have no problem asking for something to be done. If they take their sweet time, I also have no problem saying, "Well, since you are having such difficulty getting off your ass, and since I don't want to inconvenience you, I'll just go somewhere else."

I'll also try to say this when a manager is nearby (IF a manager is even in the store).

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 10-19-01 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-19-01, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know if they pos tthe prices they buy games for online? I have 4 ps2 games and would like to trade them in to get Devil May Cry/GTA3 but not if they are going to give me $5 per game!
Old 10-19-01, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I agree 100%. They are the suckiest of the suck that sucks suck!

In other words: THEY ARE SUCK!!!
Old 10-20-01, 02:50 AM

Workers are a reflection of their bosses. I find that Funcoland's are usually the worst stores in terms customer service. They do serve a good use in the gaming community. Hard to find any other local places that sell used NES/SNES/Genesis/etc games for mostly reasonable prices. Controllers at $3-4 is damn good too. However, I wish they'd clean something once a while. If I ever buy anything used from them, I ALWAYS make to sure to clean it thorougly with rubbing alchohol. Goodness, some of the things they sell would do so much better if they just would do some Quality Checks.
Old 10-20-01, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
support your local mom and pop shops!!!!
Old 10-20-01, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
They are SUCKEKEKEKEKE

local one took out the hands on game testing systems. so it's pure buisness. and man the buy amount is very whack. not to mention the whole trade in process. it seems they want something for nothing all the time. not worth it.
Old 10-20-01, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I miss Captron - The World Of Nintendo!
Old 10-20-01, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deftones17
I do. There are two shops that I frequent, and one of them always has horrible service. The other one is pretty good, but has a smaller selection. Generally, I go to the second one.
Old 10-20-01, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deftones17
Oh I do..

I only use one store, and I'm extremely happy with them.

$47.99($49.99 if you didn't rserve) for new PS2 games if you reserve them, as opposed to EB's crazy $54.99 tag. Screw that.

I work right next to a Funcoland, and only ever had one experience with them.....

I just bought a Saturn(about a year ago) to play NiGHTS again. I walked into Funcoland, and was looking thru at their small wall of Saturn cases. I saw they had Burning Rangers and Panzer II, so I took the cases to the counter and they were like "oh, hahaha, we don't actually have these games...those are just empty cases for display". WTF! Why display something you don't have. GRRRR
Old 10-21-01, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Burnt Alive
I miss Captron - The World Of Nintendo!
I worked there for 2 years. I started working there around the SNES Street Fighter II days all the way to SNES Killer Instinct. I had a fat lazy boss who was worthless, but since I loved games so much I think I did a good job. Ahh... memories.
Old 10-21-01, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
At first, I thought that maybe this should be in the Store Forum ... but do we really need to be bashing a store this badly just b/c their prices are too high?