Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New to gaming. . . .again.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-01, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to gaming. . . .again.

For the longest time I just pop my head in here now and then but today I bought my PS2 so I really have a need for this place again.

Sam's Club had a damn_good deal on the GT3 bundle so I took snagged one. I'm not really a racing fan, my wife digs those games far more than I do, but it's a very impressive game.

I want to make sure that I spend my $$ wisely on games. When my boss let me borrow his PS2 I rented stuff like The Bouncer cause I had heard it was such a short game that I knew better than to buy it.

So what can I play for hours on end and not really get tired of for some time? I can get into racing as long as it's realistic. Love RPG and fighting games. Oh...and I hate sports so no hockey or football. I already ordered Final Fantasy X & XI and can't wait. ( even though I'll have to )

How about Devil May Cry? Played it in the stores and it looked great. I always hate when people post threads like this and ask people to choose games or movies for them but I'll admit that we all need help at times. Thanks guys.
Old 10-04-01, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One other thing

Do those Dex Drive things for PSX work for for PS2s?

I saw the local Wal-Mart had em for about 9.99 and thought it might be nice for my friend to get so we can e-mail saves.

Thanks again.
Old 10-04-01, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

the game I am currently on is Silient Hill 2.... I think its an awesome game if you like survival/horror type games.
Old 10-04-01, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by MasterofDVD
One other thing

Do those Dex Drive things for PSX work for for PS2s?

I saw the local Wal-Mart had em for about 9.99 and thought it might be nice for my friend to get so we can e-mail saves.

Thanks again.
I dunno about those... I use the SharkPort for that kinda thing... works great for me
Old 10-04-01, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mljones99

I dunno about those... I use the SharkPort for that kinda thing... works great for me
I was just reading about those. Searching for a deal on one now.

edited to add: well...forget that. I don't really feel like hauling the PC out to my home theatre every time I want to save a game to my PC. Oh well. I can certainly live without.

As for Silent Hill 2 I like that kind of game but that game has me freaked. The first one was bad enough I can't imagine the second.

Last edited by MasterofDVD; 10-04-01 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-04-01, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by MasterofDVD

I was just reading about those. Searching for a deal on one now.

edited to add: well...forget that. I don't really feel like hauling the PC out to my home theatre every time I want to save a game to my PC. Oh well. I can certainly live without.

As for Silent Hill 2 I like that kind of game but that game has me freaked. The first one was bad enough I can't imagine the second.

Why do you have to haul your PC? Just take the PS2 to your computer. don't need a controller or anything, just the PS2 and the power cord, and memory card if you are dealing with save games. Just be sure you download the latest software version of the software off the website... makes things a breeze compared to the version on the disc that comes with it.
Old 10-05-01, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DexDrive does not work with the PS2. The Sharkport is the successor to the DexDrive. As for games that you can spend hours and hours on, that's a tough call. Many of the PS2 games take 15 hours or less to beat. Honestly, I don't mind that, but most people seem to mind. Here are some games I can recommend for you:

Madden 2002 - if you like football, this will give you hours and hours of gameplay

Devil May Cry - it's only about 15 hours long, but this is a revolutionary step for Capcom when compared to Resident Evil

ICO - it's about 5 hours long but is a great game. You should try the demo in the Jampack ($7.99) before buying this in case it turns you off. This to me is the sleeper hit of the year.

Spy Hunter - yep, this game is pretty good for an update. The demo turned me off, but then the reviews came in and I got it

Silent Hill 2 - about 15 hours long. I'm not super high on this game, but it is still a cream of the crop game.

The ones above are all recent games. If you're looking for an RPG, you have to wait for FFX, there's no real great RPG for the PS2 yet.

You bought your PS2 at a great time...lots of AAA games are out or coming out. Maybe you should go to your local video store and rent a few games that you may be interested in before you shell out $50 on games. Devil May Cry comes out October 17th just FYI.
Old 10-05-01, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just went out and rented Onimusha and Star Wars Starfighter.

Been looking at both for some time now. Almost snagged Silent Hill 2 as well but I'll get it my next trip in.

I darn sure I'm gonna grab Devil May Cry. All the previews I read last night are great.

I'm gonna live in rentals mainly for the next few months till FFX comes out. I want it to have my full attention.

thanks all
Old 10-13-01, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I must of been either really tired during my last post of just in a hurry to try out my new toy.

I've gotta say that unlike other gaming systems I've had I'm not glued to this thing 24/7. And that's a good thing. I do enjoy it but it's not taking over my life yet. That'll happen with FFX.

The games I rented were good but I'm glad they were rentals. Would of been a waste to buy them and they were certainly games I thought I wanted for some time now.

Bought Crazy Taxi cause my wife loves the game and I try to keep her happy with the new toys I buy. She has her own seperate DVD and video game collections. ( cause I don't need My Best Friend's Wedding and Crash Bandicoot near my stuff )

Certainly a better DVD player than I thought it would be. Not as great as my other player but a fairly good back up.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 10-13-01, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you love rpg's, the most recent one to come out is Okage: Shadow King. It's been getting decent reviews. It's a quirky humorous rpg if you're into that kind of thing.

An older rpg with fairly strong reviews is Dark Cloud.

If you like fighting games, there arent that many new ones. The old ones are of course Tekken Tag Tournament and DOA2: Hardcore. I personally prefer TTT, I dont like the DOA series that much.

Definitely get DMC. I rented Spy Hunter and it's great for a rental imho. Ico, as mentioned, is great. I beat that in one rental; I suggest you rent it.

Some future games to definitely look out for: Metal Gear Solid 2, Jak and Daxter(from Naughty Dog, creator of the Crash series), Grand Theft Auto III, Ace Combat 4, and OO7: Agent Under Fire. Have fun.
Old 10-13-01, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really want Tekken Tag Tournament or DOA2: Hardcore but can't figure out which to get. A buddy has TTT and I'm gonna borrow it to see.

I didn't care for MGS that much but I am really thinking about getting Sons Of Liberty just cause it looks amazing. Again it may just be a rental at first.

Plus I got my free Demo Disc today and it's got a few things on it that I wanted to try out so I'm gonna check that out now.
Old 10-13-01, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been living on rentals too since the PS2 launch. Its hard to decide between Tekken Tag or DOA though. Of the two I've probably played Tekken more though.

I'd recommend Silent hill 2 for a good puzzle type/horror game. I've been playing it this weekend and its been really freaking me out, some of this stuff in the first few hours is really, really, disturbing, not just scary but just plain sick, but its pretty cool overall so far, thats the point of the game anyway.

Klonoa 2 is a great game for a rent, its fun, looks beautiful, and I love the voice acting in it. I'd also recommend ICO too, I think its the best game yet, a blast to play through. SSX and GT3 are really fun racing games. Thats all I can think of right now,there isn't too much out there right now but soon a ton of killer games will be out like DMC, FFX, and MGS so the best is yet to come. Where did you get your free Demo Disc from?