Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Why aren't more games Co-Op?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-01, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why aren't more games Co-Op?

A friend of mine and I were talking about this today. Sure there are multiplayer games, but they are mostly deathmatch (goldeneye, ooga booga, quake) but why are't more games co-op? Is this extreamly hard to do? I know it's possible cause I've seen it done (Spawn for DC or Twisted Metal 2 for PSX) I think all games (or most games at least) should have a co-op mode. A good example is Army Men, I was playing that today and it took me forever to get past the first level. Also if you think about it, most games that do have a co-op become popular, like Gauntlet Legends (N64 and DC). So basicly my questions is... Why aren't more games Co-Op? Is it too hard to do, or are they just not thinking to put them in?
Old 09-29-01, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

crap, I'm sorry this isn't a bump I accidently posted a reply to my message instead of starting a new thread :}
Old 09-29-01, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to love Co-op games.

Doom was classic Co-op, but i think the main reason why they make more single player games is basiclly, because most games are only played by one person. unless its a fighting game, usually people just really don't focus on multiplayer games. also add to the fact that the split screen mode shrinks down the size that you can actually see on your screen, it really does effect game play if not done right.

the PS2 version of Half-life will have a Co-op feature.
Old 09-29-01, 01:10 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Co-op is a great way to play. I loved going through Perfect Dark with my best bud.

Halo for the XBox will have co-op. I am calling my bud over on the 15th to blast our way through that one.
Old 09-29-01, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Co-op is great. Perfect Dark had some of the best console co-op play ever. 2 players through the whole game, or 4 players against the bot challenges. My friends and I had a heck of a time playing the latter.
Old 09-29-01, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Most PC strategy games mostly all have a 'co-op' mode, but it basically means that you just ally against the computer. It's too bad that other games like shooters and RPG's mostly don't have co-op because I find it the best way to play. Having a lot of players against AI is a lot more fun than playing against AI and a few players to boot.

Can you imagine playing games like Soldiers of Fortune or Mechwarrior games in Co-op mode? That would be so sweet, having someone to watch your back and all.

I think this is one of the reasons why MMORPG's are so big on the pc, people want to play co-op where they know they'll have others to rely on.
Old 09-29-01, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Feneant
Most PC strategy games mostly all have a 'co-op' mode, but it basically means that you just ally against the computer. It's too bad that other games like shooters and RPG's mostly don't have co-op because I find it the best way to play. Having a lot of players against AI is a lot more fun than playing against AI and a few players to boot.

Can you imagine playing games like Soldiers of Fortune or Mechwarrior games in Co-op mode? That would be so sweet, having someone to watch your back and all.

I think this is one of the reasons why MMORPG's are so big on the pc, people want to play co-op where they know they'll have others to rely on.

This is exactly my point, people love co-op, are the manufactures just not seeing that?
Old 09-29-01, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Joxer

This is exactly my point, people love co-op, are the manufactures just not seeing that?
Honestly, I think it's because they just don't care, they make a game playable and release it these days without giving much thought to anything but releasing a working game and pocketing the money. It's pretty stupid though if you Look at it this way, most popular RPG's are by far the multiplayers ones (even if you have to pay to play) and in first person shooters, the most populars are once again either the multiplayer ones or the mods that are added to them.
Old 09-29-01, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sierra's SWAT 3 is all about co-op. It's your team of humans versus the computer AI and the AI is VERY GOOD. It's good to the point where it's hard to win unless everyone really works as a team.
Old 09-29-01, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
There are mods for Halflife that'll make it coop. Sven Coop springs to mind. I know there's a link to it at Planet Halflife or Fileplanet. I think the main reason there aren't too many coop modes for PC is that most people prefer playing online against people instead of with people. I might have the wrong idea though. Part of the problem is with the new technology coming out, it's tougher to do it in some games. Max Payne would be funky co-op, but I'm not sure how bullet time would work. I've only played the demo so I'm not sure how they worked it out for MP. Deus Ex is another one that could be really good in co-op, but the whole thing is so stinking big (massive memory hog), that I don't know how well things would work filewise. Conceptually it would be nice as would Giants -- several people work together as meks, or sea reapers or something vs. more enemies.

btw, nobody mentioned Diablo 2. That works really nicely in co-op.

Tuan Jim
Old 09-29-01, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You want Co-op RPG?? wait intill the next installment of Final fantasy.

thats all i got to say about that one.
Old 09-29-01, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I miss those old school side scroller like Double Dragon, Streets of Rage and the Peacekeepers. You and your buddy just walking through the streets kicking ass and eating the roasted chicken that always seemed to be laying on the ground
Old 09-29-01, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tsohg
You and your buddy just walking through the streets kicking ass and eating the roasted chicken that always seemed to be laying on the ground
Old 09-29-01, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"The Elf is hungry"
Old 09-30-01, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Warrior needs food, badly..."
Old 09-30-01, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Red wizard is about to die"

"ugh ugh"

I loved Contra and super C for this reason. My buddy and I would play it over and over (of course we used the secret to start with 30 lives). We also loved battletoads cause you could play deathmatches during it.
Old 09-30-01, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe this is on topic... Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off friendly fire in co-op mode in Twisted Metal: Black?