NFL2K2 to be relaesed on PS2

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-14-01, 09:59 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the screenshots I have seen it looks like madden has better graphics. I have never played the NFK2K series games and I remember quite a debate last year about which is better. I have Madden 2001 but not 2002. I was thinking of holding off and waiting 'till Nov. to get NFL2K2. Anyone here who has played both games and can give a comparison (and not something like Madden sucks or NFL2K sucks).

Thanks,

DAC
Old 09-14-01, 10:50 AM

I owned a Dreamcast from day 1 and owned both NFL2K and NFL2K1. Those games were both incredible. Graphically, I thought 2K1 wasn't as sharp as 2K, but the improvements in AI and gameplay, which IMO are more important than graphics any day, more than made up for it. Once Sega decided to abandon the hardware market, I decided to sell my system and games and put my money toward a PS2. I have no bias or preference to any one company--I'm a gamer, and if it's fun, I'll play it.

I purchased NCAA Football 2002 for the PS2; now, I realize it's not Madden, but from what I understand, it's basically the Madden engine with a few tweaks here and there.

I found the momentum-based physics to be very frustrating at first, and longed for the days of NFL2K1. However, it has grown on me, and I think I actually prefer the momentum-based approach vs. the more instantaneous feel of NFL2K1. But it's a SLIGHT preference. I DO prefer the jukes and spin moves in 2K1 over NCAA; it seems like jukes and spins do very little in EA's game, whereas in 2K1, you could really get off some great fakes and shake some tackles with them.

I also prefer pass defense in 2K1. I feel like I'm lucky to bat a ball away in NCAA. I think this is where the momentum-based physics can really burn you.

I prefer 2K1's AI over NCAA. I can't tell you how many times I've given up a 3rd and long pass, even though I went into a Dime formation (with just about every Dime coverage you can choose). It's kinda like, if the computer is going to get the 3rd down, it's going to do it, no matter how you set up your defense. It can get frustrating.

And, as has widely been reported, the EA football games can't even come close to competing with 2K1's commentary, but that's not a big factor for me.

So in the end, BOTH games are excellent. I feel that Visual Concepts' incredible Sega efforts finally forced EA to innovate and create something that could compete. Both games have their pluses and minuses, and I think it really comes down to what aspects of the game are most important to you. I would strongly suggest to all "Maddenites" out there to check out NFL2K2; as someone very familiar with Visual Concepts' sports offerings, I for one can't wait to see what they've done with their first PS2 offering.

I think it's a win-win either way.
Old 09-14-01, 11:14 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

NFL2k2 is the better choice.
Old 09-14-01, 03:38 PM
DAC

Thanks for the replies fellas.
Old 09-15-01, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Does anyone have a release date for these titles. I think I will get it for DC but I will check out the PS2 version.
Old 09-15-01, 06:48 PM

NFL2K2 should be a great game on PS2. Now EA has to make Madden even better.
Old 09-15-01, 07:27 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure it's coming to the Gamecube too, but I'm not positive. I know NFL2Kx will be there eventually just not sure if it'll be this year or next.

I greatly prefer the NFL2k series to Madden. It just plays better IMO.
Old 09-15-01, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the faster gameplay of NFL2K as well. As far as I know its coming to Cube, PS2, and Xbox. Don't know if they will do a GBA version though.
Old 09-17-01, 11:55 AM
DAC

Originally posted by BigDaddy
Does anyone have a release date for these titles. I think I will get it for DC but I will check out the PS2 version.
The Dreamcast version comes out This week, 9-19-01. Not sure on the PS2 version though.
Pre-order the PS2 version.
Amazon.com says released 11-2-01 $49.99
EBGames.com ships 10-23-01 $49.99
Buy.com says released 10-31-01 $47.99
Old 09-17-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Well then DC for me at least right now.
Old 09-17-01, 06:28 PM
Suspended

I was never a big football fan, but I loved the first 2 games on the DC.. I liked 2k1 the most cuz of the internet play. I have Madden 2002 for PS2 now, and frankly I don't like it that much. the NFL2K series seemed more fun to me.