Reload this Page >

Has anyone played C&C Tiberian Sun?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-07-01, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call me behind the times, but I love this game! I bought it when it first came out (first and only PC game I've ever bought) and I never really played it too much because I didn't have the time...over the past couple weeks, I loaded it onto my new PC and I love it!

I know it's a little dated...but I can't help it...I never played any game like it before....

I've tried researching some other games in its genre like C&C Red Alert 2 and others...any recommendations?

Also, one last question...I've found some internet sites that have these modification files that you can use to modify the game...if I download these and use them, are they irreversible....or will the modification be there forever?

Sorry...I don't really play PC games too much...thanks for your help!
Old 08-07-01, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That game was the worst game ever. Even to all C&C hardcore agreed.

But you must play Red Alert 2, it's best one out there. Also, you should check out StarCraft, too.
Old 08-07-01, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by McHawkson
That game was the worst game ever. Even to all C&C hardcore agreed.

But you must play Red Alert 2, it's best one out there. Also, you should check out StarCraft, too.
Yeah, I heard that Tiberian Sun didn't really live up to the hype from the C&C faithful...I like it, though! Red Alert 2 must be really good if it's that much better than Tiberian Sun...

I think I looked at Starcraft, too. How about Black and White? I heard that was pretty good, too.
Old 08-07-01, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
How about Black and White? I heard that was pretty good, too.
I haven't tried it yet. From what I heard, it was best and I hope you have powerful computer to run it.
Old 08-07-01, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by McHawkson

I haven't tried it yet. From what I heard, it was best and I hope you have powerful computer to run it.
Pentium IV with 1.4 Ghz processor and 60 GB HD. Only 256 MB of SDRAM (or SRAM or whatever), though. I just bought the damn thing, so I hope it's good enough...
Old 08-07-01, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's good enough. Enjoy it.
Old 08-08-01, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
If you are looking for inexpensive games that are still behind the times (-wink), you need to play either Dune 2 or Dune 2000. They are the same game with Dune 2000 being updated some. Same engine as C&C. One of my all time favorites. Another cheapo is X-Com: UFO Defense, which is turn based, but still great.

You can also pick up Fallout and Fallout 2 for $9.99 at Walmart, etc. and it is also a great stategy game.

MUST GO PLAY DUNE 2 AGAIN!!!
Old 08-08-01, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will recommend (in this order):
C&C Red Alert 2
StarCraft
WarCraft 2
Old 08-08-01, 04:21 PM

I run RA2 on my old PIII 800 with 128MB RAM and it works fine. It looks great on the 19" monitor with 1024X768 res.
Old 08-08-01, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tiberian Sun is/was an aweful aweful game.
I wasted 50 bucks on it.
Starcraft & Homeworld Cataclysm are 2 old games you definitely should consider.
Old 08-08-01, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Geez, I'm probably gonna absolutely love these other games if you guys say that Tiberian Sun sucks compared to them....

Can anyone answer my question about the modifications from my first post? Thanks....
Old 08-08-01, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tiberian Sun is the shi*tiest of the whole series. I cannot put into word how much I wish this vile game never befouled my hard drive. I HATE IT! I can't believe I spent 50 dollars on it! And to make it worse, I lost the receipt so I couldn't return it! Was I some kind of retard, picking Tiberian Sun over Final Fantasy VIII?

But anyway, Red Alert 2 is SO much better than this. And Starcraft is absolutely the pinnacle of the 2D RTS gaming world, especially with the Brood War expansion, which is 100 times better than any other expansion - and on a singular comparison with TS, Brood War by itself is still better than TS

About TS mods, they usually install modified mix files on your hard drive - nothing that an uninstall - reinstall wouldn't fix. Though I would suggest just uninstalling it

Last edited by RolloTomasi; 08-08-01 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-08-01, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, now that it seems like I'm the only person who actually likes this game, I'm curious to know why everybody thinks it's so awful....would I be able to answer that question myself by playing Red Alert 2 or Starcraft or is somebody able to express in words why they think Tiberian Sun sucks so much?
Old 08-08-01, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The graphics are bland and in some parts downright ugly, especially the miniscule units which look superimposed in front of a JPEG.

The game's units/buildings are exceedingly unbalanced - tanks are basically worthless. The GDI/NOD strategems lack the finesse and interlocking paper-rock-scissors offered by Starcraft's three races.

The storyline, while not really the important part of a strategy game, is so cheesy and pointless it doesn't really even impact the game at all.

The online component is very, very, very, badly done.

There's little customization inherent in the TS engine. Compare the paltry offerings of the TS online groups with the thousands of Starcraft mods, ranging from RPGS to tactical warfare to sports to monstrous strategic campaigns.

Truth be told, TS does not exceedingly suck, but my ardent hate for the game is based on two reasons - this game had been hyped up for THREE YEARS by Westwood, and it was already at its onset inferior to a game released a year before. And of course, the fact that I couldn't return it and get Final Fantasy VIII

Now, you might not be willing to enter the realm of 3D RTS, which are always harder to learn than their 2D brethren. So let m make a case for Starcraft. Starcraft succeeds in all the areas where Tiberian Sun fails. What is it, $20 for the game and the exp. pack now? It's a worthwhile investment. Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings is also very well made, though I tired of it after about 6 months (I played Starcraft for three years )

I'm not really into 3DRTS, so I suppose you'll have to get recommendations from others, though I hear Homeworld: Cataclysm is quite good.
Old 08-09-01, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Age of Empires II is one of the best real-time strategy games out there, bar none. Plus you can learn a bit of history while you're at it.
Old 08-09-01, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't say I hated Tiberian Sun, but I was definately disappointed. Being a BIG C&C fan I found myself playing through it again a few months ago to remind myself what it was like. I think the number one thing that bothered me was the abundance of "puzzle" missions, the missions where you have two infantry and a medic and you have to take on the enemy base or something. I much prefer the "building" missions where you must construct your base and army, Red Alert 2 brought that back in a big way.

Definately check out the other C&C games that are out there. You may want to start with the first one. After Red Alert 2, the rest seem a little disappointing.
Old 08-09-01, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, I guess I'm gonna have to go buy C&C Red Alert 2, Starcraft, and Age of Empires II....

Sheesh, you guys are gonna make me go broke.
Old 08-09-01, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget Homeworld Cataclysm.
The graphics in this game is truly amazing.
Lots of times I found myself just watching the action since it plays out just like a movie.
Old 08-09-01, 05:47 PM

Don't worry, you can find SC for like $5-10 used and AOE2 for $10-15 used, so it isn't that costly. If you like RTS games, I suggest you keep an eye out for Battle Realms, which will be coming out soon.

As for Fallout and Fallout 2, those are RPGs.

EDIT: Just for the sake of arguement, I thought the Brood Wars expansion for Starcraft was horrible. The single player campaign was fun, but the new units just threw the balance and pace of the game off-kilter.
Old 08-10-01, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As far as RTS goes I can't recommend AOE2 with the Age of Conqueres expansion enough. Probably the only game to sit on my hard drive a full year and be played continuously - it was so well balanced and games can be quick or long and drawn out depending how you play. Ah, might have to reinstall it just thinking about it - my Spanish Conquistadors haven't stormed any villages lately
Old 08-12-01, 10:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Deathmatch

Like all other C&C... they are really cool to play Vs. someone else instead the computer
Old 08-14-01, 09:04 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Total Annihilation. Yes, I know it's outdated compared to Red Alert 2, which I love btw. But it was certainly good for it's time and worth a look IMO. I've seen it and the expansion disc at Wal-Marts and the mall game stores for $10. That game also had a lot of expanded vehicles and maps available online.

Chris