Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Civ III (Sequal to the best game ever) now on pre-order!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Civilization series
One word, brilliant.
72.97%
Good game.
13.51%
Average game.
2.70%
No good, overrated.
10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-01, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon.com now has Civilization III for pre-order, there are 2 versions, a regular and a Limited Edition coming out.

At Amazon.
Reg. $44.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...674719-1074314

At EBonline.
Reg. $49.99
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categorie...p?pf_id=202330

Limited Edition. $64.99
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categorie...p?pf_id=207765

Forgot to say, the street date is 10/14/01.

I can not wait for this game! Loved every other one.

Last edited by ZZdoo; 07-31-01 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-01-01, 07:37 AM

SWEET! I can't believe it's coming out so soon though. I hope it does not get delayed much.

No other game has taken me away from my normal life like Civ II did. So I guess now that Civ III is on the way I better get a good divorce lawyer
Old 08-01-01, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally I can get it. I can't wait.
Old 08-01-01, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by ^^WR2^^
SWEET! I can't believe it's coming out so soon though. I hope it does not get delayed much.

No other game has taken me away from my normal life like Civ II did. So I guess now that Civ III is on the way I better get a good divorce lawyer
I feel the same way. Back in the days of Civ 1, I used to stay up till 4-5am playing, then get up early and skip school to keep playing. Its a very addictive game, I havent come across another game that had that same extreme effect.
Old 08-01-01, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally, a TRUE sequel for Civ 2. The Call To Power sequels were just a disgrace. Civ 3 should be great since Sid Meier is in charge of the project. BTW, anyone know what the Limited Edition consists of?
Old 08-01-01, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Civilization = Electronic Crack.

I never got the chance to play Civ I, but I started with the original Civilization II. I must have sunk 150 hours in the first two weeks! And then came Alpha Centauri...

I am so hyped up about this game. Sid Meier knows what he's doing.
Old 08-01-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Civ were such killer games - although i really enjoyed Alpha Centauri as well. One question though, what else is in the Limited Edition of Civ 3 - i looked at the url posted above and couldn't quite figure out what made the limited edition different other than an extra 15 bucks
Old 08-01-01, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FIRAXIS SPEAKS ON LE

(31 July 2001, 12:24 EST) First contact with Firaxis Games regarding confirmation and details of the recently surfaced "Limited Edition" of Civilization III has been made. The company's Communications Manager, Kelley Gilmore, informed us this morning that plans for "LE" are real and are going ahead. As for what is to be included in it exactly, only a general overview is presently available.

We're still working out the final details, but it'll come in a very nice tin with the game, manual, a "Making of Civ III" CD and some other cool stuff, Gilmore said.

Keep your browsers pointed here for more information as it becomes available. -DanQ
Old 08-01-01, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just hope Fireaxis doesn't try to turn it into some crappy Sim City ripoff, I can't recall them making one good game. As for Civ2, easily the best strategy game ever.
Old 08-01-01, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by RJainMJ
Finally, a TRUE sequel for Civ 2. The Call To Power sequels were just a disgrace. Civ 3 should be great since Sid Meier is in charge of the project. BTW, anyone know what the Limited Edition consists of?
I dont even think Call To Power was even touched by Sid Meiers. The Civ games Sid did where Civ I, Civ II, Alpha Centuari (And maybe the Aliencrossfire addon, not sure). All great games and now comes Civ III from the man himself. Gotta start stocking up on caffine products.
Old 08-01-01, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Feneant
I just hope Fireaxis doesn't try to turn it into some crappy Sim City ripoff, I can't recall them making one good game. As for Civ2, easily the best strategy game ever.
I think you are confusing Maxis (The company that did all the sim games) with Firaxis (Sid Meiers own company).
Old 08-01-01, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IIRC, there was some question over copyright ownership when Sid Meier left the company responsible for his Civ games. So, while he went off to do Alpha Centauri, other people took his series and ran it into the ground with "Civilization: Call to Power." Luckily for us, a coupla years and a court case later, Sid owns the rights again. Hence, "Civ: Call to Power" is now simply "Call to Power," and we get a true sequel to Civ 2.
Old 08-01-01, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ZZdoo

I dont even think Call To Power was even touched by Sid Meiers. The Civ games Sid did where Civ I, Civ II, Alpha Centuari (And maybe the Aliencrossfire addon, not sure). All great games and now comes Civ III from the man himself. Gotta start stocking up on caffine products.
Nope, neither of them were. Which is probably why they sucked. Alpha Centauri was great.
Old 08-01-01, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Feneant
Just to clarify: Maxis - creator of most of the Sim games including Sim City, The Sims, SimsVille, etc. (and yes, they definitely HAVE created many good games! )

Firaxis - creator of Alpha Centauri and its add on Alien Crossfire
Old 08-01-01, 04:54 PM

The Civ gods have finally smiled upon me. I thought they had forsaken me with that peice of vomit Civ 2: Call to Power.
Old 08-01-01, 07:52 PM
Cool New Member

If you guys like Civ, you should check out Europa Universalis. Purchased it recently and have become hooked. Only covers 1492-1792 AD but there are tons of add-ons available at their website. Helluva lot more complex than Civ but worth the time once you've figured out how the game works.

I can't wait til Civ3 comes out! I'm excited how they've changed the diplomacy and resources. Resources are only available from certain cities and you can block the enemy from building certain products by seizing his specific supply source.

Don't forget Sid Meier's Colonization and Civil War simulations. Until I purchased Europa, I would still go back occasionally and play Colonization. One of the best game designers ever.
Old 08-01-01, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Directors Cut
Don't forget Sid Meier's Colonization and Civil War simulations. Until I purchased Europa, I would still go back occasionally and play Colonization. One of the best game designers ever.
Sid did Colonization?
Old 08-01-01, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For any of you thinking about purchasing Europa Universalis: Be aware that there is a "sequel" coming out in a few months. It uses basically the same engine, but there are a lot more features and an improved manual. I'll be sure to buy this game too

www.europa-universalis.com
Old 08-02-01, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I feel the same way. Back in the days of Civ 1, I used to stay up till 4-5am playing, then get up early and skip school to keep playing. Its a very addictive game, I havent come across another game that had that same extreme effect.
totally agree here ... civ 1 and 2 were the best ... never really got into all that other stuff

BUT - xmiuyx is right

anyone know what the difference is b/n the LE and the std. one?
Old 08-02-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think you are confusing Maxis (The company that did all the sim games) with Firaxis (Sid Meiers own company).

Whew!
Old 08-06-01, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, whatever. I'm waiting for Master of Orion III.
Old 08-20-01, 11:16 PM

The street date for Civ 3 Limited Edition has been changed to Oct 1st, and the regular Edition will still be coming out Oct 14th.
Old 08-21-01, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Yeah, whatever. I'm waiting for Master of Orion III.
Whoo-hoo! Another person who loves the MOO series. I still have MOO2 on my 'puter... whenever I get tired of all these games with all flash and no substance, I go back to MOO2 and Civ2
Old 08-21-01, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
is there a good PC game price search engine? I'm ready to pre-order Civ3, but don't want to just blindly plunk my money on Amazon...
Old 08-22-01, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sign up for Compuexpert's 48-hour madness e-mail, and wait. They'll undoubtedly have the best price around. I mean, they're currently selling Fallout Tactics for $19.90!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.