Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

NCAA Football 2002 tips needed!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-31-01, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there are several NCAA Football 2002 threads out there, but this one is specifically for tips. Quick background--I'm an ex-Dreamcaster and I'm very familiar with the NFL 2K line of games. I just picked up a PS2 about a week ago, so I've never played Madden 2001.

I'm finding a couple of things in particular very tough to adjust to, probably because of my familiarity with NFL 2K/2K1.

1. Making good cuts. I'm used to making all sorts of cuts in the NFL 2K series, but with the inertia-based motion system or whatever you want to call it in these EA games, I'm finding myself basically just flat-out running into defenders. Any tips on how to improve here?

2. Pass completions. Granted, I don't have Drew Brees anymore, but I'm playing my beloved Purdue Boilermakers who still have a pretty decent quarterback and good receivers. You wouldn't think so watching me play. In 2 full games, both against the evil Indiana University I made JUST TWO COMPLETIONS. This is ridiculous. Any tips here?

Thanks guys...
Old 07-31-01, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just 2 completions? I think it just may be purdue unless you run hard paterns and you keep getting blitzed at. I play with the gators and we have a sweet QB and WR's so it is easy to pass. I throw for about 300 yards a game....as for running, if you push the r1/L1 buttons it does a juke and you can fake out a DB or safety sometimes.
Old 07-31-01, 05:56 PM

This is my first Madden-esque game... and I'm having problems when I try to pass, sometimes all the receivers (button symbols) are gray/transparent/unavailable but one of the receivers has a downward facing triangle (sideways start button) looking thing superimposed.... I can't throw, and I can't run very fast, so I always get sacked... and once it starts it happens during every pass play... did I push some button inadvertently? I didn't see anything about this in the manual.
Old 07-31-01, 11:50 PM

Go Boilers!!!. I may be going to IU but I still love my Purdue Boilermakers. I think you just ned to wrm up to the playing controls because Hance(#4) is doing wonderfully for me. And to Trugator, I hope you are using my man Rex Grossman. I saw him play here whenfor two years for Bloomington South. Man he could light it up in high school, I can't imagine what he is doing now.
Old 08-01-01, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ShawnMercury
This is my first Madden-esque game... and I'm having problems when I try to pass, sometimes all the receivers (button symbols) are gray/transparent/unavailable but one of the receivers has a downward facing triangle (sideways start button) looking thing superimposed.... I can't throw, and I can't run very fast, so I always get sacked... and once it starts it happens during every pass play... did I push some button inadvertently? I didn't see anything about this in the manual.
If this happens to you, turn off the analog control buttons by pressing the analog button.

You will have to then control your players with the D-pad, but you won't have this problem anymore.

This used to happen to me all the time on Madden 2001, but as soon as you turn off the analog sticks, you will get a normal passing menu

hope this helps
Old 08-01-01, 01:19 PM

Re: NCAA Football 2002 tips needed!

Originally posted by DavePack
I know there are several NCAA Football 2002 threads out there, but this one is specifically for tips. Quick background--I'm an ex-Dreamcaster and I'm very familiar with the NFL 2K line of games. I just picked up a PS2 about a week ago, so I've never played Madden 2001.

I'm finding a couple of things in particular very tough to adjust to, probably because of my familiarity with NFL 2K/2K1.

1. Making good cuts. I'm used to making all sorts of cuts in the NFL 2K series, but with the inertia-based motion system or whatever you want to call it in these EA games, I'm finding myself basically just flat-out running into defenders. Any tips on how to improve here?

2. Pass completions. Granted, I don't have Drew Brees anymore, but I'm playing my beloved Purdue Boilermakers who still have a pretty decent quarterback and good receivers. You wouldn't think so watching me play. In 2 full games, both against the evil Indiana University I made JUST TWO COMPLETIONS. This is ridiculous. Any tips here?

Thanks guys...
Well, IMO, it is caused by your unfamiliarity with EA football game. Just practice it. May be it is also because of your strategy.

I want something challenging. So, I start with "Kent State" in All-American mode with no AI changing. Finished 9-3 first season with #12 in passing offense and #32 in rushing offense (starting QB had 54 overall rating with 60-something WRs).
Old 08-02-01, 09:11 AM

Yeah, I agree--I think it was just unfamiliarity with EA's games. I'm doing much better now. One thing that was really screwing me up was not figuring out why it wasn't using my loaded profile for campus challenge cards. It was driving me nuts--it would always give them to "NEWUSER" instead of me. I finally realized I needed to select User Options before my game started and select the profile to use at that point.

Still having problems with just about all options other than the power option. The defensive line always blows through on the options where I choose to pass before I can barely get my receiver icons up, but I'm getting better.

Overall opinion of someone who's played both the 2K and Madden series--they are BOTH great football games (it's a great time to be a videogamer!) but I do prefer the more "tight" feel of the 2K games. I think the "inertia" type thing incorporated into Madden, while maybe a more realistic representation, just isn't lending itself as well to a football videogame. I also feel like jukes and stiff arms do zilch, but maybe my timing is off or something. Still, great game!
Old 08-02-01, 09:55 PM

Re: Re: NCAA Football 2002 tips needed!

Originally posted by ssrioon

Well, IMO, it is caused by your unfamiliarity with EA football game. Just practice it. May be it is also because of your strategy.

I want something challenging. So, I start with "Kent State" in All-American mode with no AI changing. Finished 9-3 first season with #12 in passing offense and #32 in rushing offense (starting QB had 54 overall rating with 60-something WRs).
I am doing the same type of thing as you. I started a dynast as Buffalo. I figure I will try to apply for jobs at the end of the year until I get to the school I want to play as
Old 08-03-01, 09:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: NCAA Football 2002 tips needed!

Originally posted by Applejack

I am doing the same type of thing as you. I started a dynast as Buffalo. I figure I will try to apply for jobs at the end of the year until I get to the school I want to play as
Glad to see someone feels and does the same way.

By the way, after the end of the first season, I finished 9-3 with the Kent (losses to West Virginia, Marshall, and ECU). I saved the game, resigned, and tried to find another job (didn't want to change yet, just want to check it out). However, there seemed to be no good jobs out there for me. I believe I can apply to the job in which its prestige (the # of star) matches my prestige.

Okay, fine. Just my first season with a small school. No one in big schools may want me. Now, I've finished second season with the record of 12-1 including the winnings over Virginia Tech and Miami in Orange Bowl (and Loss to Ohio State). I also won MAC Championship. And finished #3 in both polls. BUT my prestige is still only ONE star. May be I just don't know how it works.

Anyway, I didn't try to find a job after the second season. (How could I? Four of my players are in All-American list. My DT had 15 sacks in regular season games (11 matches). And then I recruited two 5-star blue-chippers including #2 runner back.)

And, by the way, I love this game. My team was ranked #10 preseason. Beat then-#15 Texas A&M in the first game at College Station, 38-0. I thought I could beat any team. And, you know what? Just in the second game, I was beaten by unranked Syracuse 28-29. Man, again, I love this game. You can beat ranked teams, but when you are ranked, you can also be beaten by an unranked team.
Old 08-03-01, 05:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: NCAA Football 2002 tips needed!

Originally posted by ssrioon

Glad to see someone feels and does the same way.

By the way, after the end of the first season, I finished 9-3 with the Kent (losses to West Virginia, Marshall, and ECU). I saved the game, resigned, and tried to find another job (didn't want to change yet, just want to check it out). However, there seemed to be no good jobs out there for me. I believe I can apply to the job in which its prestige (the # of star) matches my prestige.

Okay, fine. Just my first season with a small school. No one in big schools may want me. Now, I've finished second season with the record of 12-1 including the winnings over Virginia Tech and Miami in Orange Bowl (and Loss to Ohio State). I also won MAC Championship. And finished #3 in both polls. BUT my prestige is still only ONE star. May be I just don't know how it works.

Anyway, I didn't try to find a job after the second season. (How could I? Four of my players are in All-American list. My DT had 15 sacks in regular season games (11 matches). And then I recruited two 5-star blue-chippers including #2 runner back.)

And, by the way, I love this game. My team was ranked #10 preseason. Beat then-#15 Texas A&M in the first game at College Station, 38-0. I thought I could beat any team. And, you know what? Just in the second game, I was beaten by unranked Syracuse 28-29. Man, again, I love this game. You can beat ranked teams, but when you are ranked, you can also be beaten by an unranked team.
I noticed in my first game as Buffalo, the stands were almost completely empty...

As you get to be a decent or good team, do the stands fillup more, do you get TV coverage or anything special at all?