Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is the XBOX fading?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-01, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the XBOX fading?

I sense that the XBOX has lost whatever momentum it had. Do other feel the same way. A few months ago there was this "buzz" about it. There was also much more talk about how awesome it was going to be. Now, it feels as if it's dying while PS2 and GAMECUBE are picking up momentum.

Anybody else feel this as well? I just trying to get a sense of trends and what others are thinking right now.
Old 07-29-01, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I do not think so. I will pick one up along with the game cube. Going to be an expensive month. Need to find a job.
Old 07-29-01, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Is the XBOX fading?

Originally posted by ricwhite
I sense that the XBOX has lost whatever momentum it had. Do other feel the same way. A few months ago there was this "buzz" about it. There was also much more talk about how awesome it was going to be. Now, it feels as if it's dying while PS2 and GAMECUBE are picking up momentum.

Anybody else feel this as well? I just trying to get a sense of trends and what others are thinking right now.
I think it lost some wow factor at E3. I also think that if they release it as a stable console on time with some great games it will revive interest quickly.

Just not sure if they will do it.

also remember the advertising hasn't begun to hit yet. they are going to spend a bunch to push this so i am sure even if it is not stable some will buy it due to advertising alone.
Old 07-29-01, 03:07 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It had a poor showing at E3 compared to the other systems and thus the gaming press was dissapointed with it and aren't generating as much hype. This is why it appears to have faded out. I still think it will be successful, but will be last in the next-gen wars. Gamecube and PS2 will slug it out for the top spot, while X-box will remain a distant third. At any rate I hope all three systems are successful, even though I'm only getting the Gamecube due to time/money constraints. 3 successfull systems=high rate of competition=more quality games, which means every gamer wins out regardless of which of the systems they own.
Old 07-29-01, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think Xbox lost alot of its induztry and media buzz because of a poor showing at E3.

You also have to consider that PS2 is finally gaining firm ground. So it's no doubt taking its share of the spotlight right now. With Gamecube coming out at the same time as Xbox i wouldnt' be surprised if nintendo saturated all the attention and left Xbox feeling a little lonely.
Old 07-30-01, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
ok, enough of the E3 junk. we all know it had a no so filling showing at E3.. but then again, this is the first attempt at a new market for micro soft... thus they will be a little rusty in trying to generate buzz when in their market. the name MICROSOFT itself generates the buzz for it.

in any case. the games look very nice. and the stats so far look good. the only problem. they are the new kids on the block. i remember when a certain sega and Nintendo were slugging it out and a new kid came around named sony and surprised everyone with a very weak game line up.

given also the factor that PS2 is scaring customers away in several ways even with them having a weak line of games out currently (better games to follow) its not like PS2 has much good stuff now or did it at opening, the name itself sold it.

Expect XBOX to start off slow and gain the speed. it has the power.
Old 07-30-01, 08:21 AM

It was Xbox's lackluster showing at E3 that changed my mind. I was set to pass on the PS2 and go straight to Xbox until that happened. No way I can afford to take the chance of plunking down that much cash on an iffy system. I thought for sure that Xbox would blow away everyone at E3, not the other way around. While I hope it does well (competition is a GOOD thing), and well enough that perhaps I pick it up after it's been out long enough to have a price drop, I decided to go with PS2 (just bought about a week ago) and NGC in the fall.

By the way, I should mention that I was NOT at E3 to form these opinions, but I do read a lot of vg-related web sites each day, and the general consensus seemed to be that Xbox definitely underwhelmed.

It will be a most interesting fall, but even with the impressive lineup that Xbox hopes to have, I just can't see them having a strong launch against a $100 cheaper Nintendo system with an even more impressive (IMO) lineup of launch games...
Old 07-30-01, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
How many people attended E3? Babbages stoped taking pre-orders when they reached the 500,000 mark.

I think the X-Box will sell fairly well, I'm fairly sure the GameCube will sell spectacularly considering it comes in at $100 less.

If the X-Box can offer true HDTV resolution in their games they've got one sale right here.
Old 07-30-01, 09:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by DavePack
It was Xbox's lackluster showing at E3 that changed my mind. . .I thought for sure that Xbox would blow away everyone at E3, not the other way around. . . I decided to go with PS2 (just bought about a week ago) and NGC in the fall.

We're in almost the same position as you. Microsoft itself built the expectations for E3. They were bragging so much about their system that would "revolutionize" the gaming industry. So everyone was expecting XBOX to "wow" the world at E3. Instead, it was GAMECUBE and PS2 which stole the show. Microsoft's XBOX was a letdown.

I, also, have followed the professional asssessments of E3. They all seem to agree that XBOX was a disappointment. My household has now switched our thinking. We recently bought a PS2 and are really enjoying it. It looks like quality games will come in abundance in the near future. We have also started talking about getting the GAMECUBE instead of an XBOX for Christmas.

Unless Microsoft does something incredible in the next 3 months, it will be PS2 and GAMECUBE for our family. I think I'll have to wait at least a year or two for XBOX to show it's true colors. If it survives and becomes a true contender in the market, then I'm sure it will be something we will have. But as it stands right now, XBOX is too much of a risk to spend the kind of money it would take to purchase one.
Old 07-30-01, 10:59 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
ok, enough of the E3 junk. we all know it had a no so filling showing at E3.. but then again, this is the first attempt at a new market for micro soft... thus they will be a little rusty in trying to generate buzz when in their market. the name MICROSOFT itself generates the buzz for it.
I agree that people make to much of the poor E3 showing, but this thread was asking why the hype for X-box has faded. The poor E3 showing is the main reason for this. The most hype comes from the gaming press. They were dissappointed with it and have been giving it no publicity or negative publicity since E3. In otherwords the E3 showing has no relevence to whether X-Box will be successful, but it is the answer to the question in this thread, so the "enough of the E3 junk" comment is irrelevent in this thread.
Old 07-30-01, 08:20 PM

agreed. i was one of those who went into E3 with an open mind. and, as a pedestrian non-professional videogamer or reviewer, i came away simply thinking that the x-box looks stinko. maybe the games were all in early development, but some seemed to have at least chunks pretty near complete and all underwhelmed. i spent more time in the ps2, gamecube and even the gameboy advance areas.
Old 07-30-01, 08:25 PM

I keep on wondering if they are going to push it back, I mean after all they claim they were going to spend 500 million on marketing it, you'd thing the hype machine would have started already if they were going to release it on november the 8th
Old 07-31-01, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Microsoft built expectations up to a level then blew it by not living up to them. they also really did nothing exciting at E3- Nintendo gave away a bunch of GBA units and Microsoft gave us all a bag

sad.
Old 07-31-01, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The wwf video and pics for the X-Box in enough for me to buy it. Not that it matters I buy everything
Old 07-31-01, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
07:51 ET Xbox Impact : Lehman expects the highly anticipated Xbox game system to help boost traffic and sales at both Best Buy (BBY) and Circuit City (CC). Sees Xbox, combined with other hardware/software, potentially adding 1.0% to same-store sales in Q3 and Q4 for BBY and 0.5%-1.0% to CC... Xbox is scheduled to launch Nov. 8.

From Briefing.com.

This is rather humorous. Will there be enough stock? Will there be games?

Stock Analysts crack me up sometimes!
Old 07-31-01, 01:07 PM

I've heard that their initial offering in terms of units will not be much above what PS2 did last fall. This in itself has started to sway my earlier enthusiasm for it. PS2 launch part deux is something NOBODY wants to see again.

I'm now on a wait-and-see mode w/xbox. They now have to convince me that they can deliver on good games and also make enough of the damn consoles!

I'm also not buying into GCube, but it's more because they focus on the younger crowd. It's not a bad thing for Nintendo to do, it's just I'm not into Mario, Pokemon, etc.

So my PC and me will remain best of friends for awhile longer.