Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Games that make you go "They don't make 'em like that any more..."

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-01, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been in a bit of a work-shy mood lately, so I decided to have a crack at some old SNES games via the magic of emulation... and for the last couple of days I've been pretty much solidly playing the rather excellent Chrono Trigger. Now, there's "only" about 30 hours or so of game time from start to finish if you know what you're doing, but it's still one of the coolest games ever, IMO...

Even though it's slightly crappy looking (by modern standards, at least) and the gameplay verges towrds the repetetive at times, it's still got absolutely loads to the actual game, there's all sorts of tangents you can go off on and complete that aren't essential to the core of the game... Plus, the whole premise behind it is disticntly cool, and unlike most time travel type games, it actually uses the concept to introduce some pretty nifty gameplay features into it...

On top of that, there's not really an "end" as such, even after you complete it, there's still stuff that you can do, and even if you DO play through and complete all the sub quests, that only unlocks the mode whereby you can play through again, but complete the game earlier on... and there's a ridiculous number of different ending based on how precisely you play the game... basically enough to keep you playing long, long after you "finish" the game...

Just one of those games that you can;t get enough of, and it just makes you wonder why there don;t seem to be any real great games these days... I don;t think I'll still be playing any of the games I've currently got in 5 years' time
Old 05-26-01, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Sid Meier's Pirates!

Starflight
Old 05-26-01, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Star Control 2
Snatcher

Never have found any games to compare to those two. I still enjoy replaying them.
Old 05-26-01, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Pac-Man
Frogger
Half-Life
Myst
Old 05-27-01, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

goldeneye. but you really already said the ultimate, chrono trigger. i think that might be the best game ever made...
Old 05-27-01, 02:39 PM

Ancient Art of War Series (old computer games)

There were at least three in the series covering land, sea and air.

[Edited by BubbaX on 05-27-01 at 06:10 PM]
Old 05-27-01, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sid Meiers' Civilisation and Civ2
Old 05-27-01, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rock N Roll Racing
Super Smash TV
Secret of Mana (though they still try to make them like that)
Super Metroid (A frickin FPS Metroid is coming! Barf!)
Old 05-27-01, 05:13 PM
Banned

Strider for Sega Genesis
Old 05-27-01, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DrJag
goldeneye. but you really already said the ultimate, chrono trigger. i think that might be the best game ever made...
If you liked Goldeneye, try "Deus Ex". Some things are similar, and the gameplay and story are incredible.
Old 05-27-01, 09:19 PM

Final Fantasy Tactics

Oh I know there are still sRPGs being churned out, even some come to the States, but I haven't found one that possessed the charm, depth, and general interest level that can be found within Final Fantasy Tactics. Definitely one of those unsung heroes during the craze of polygonal RPGs for the PSX.
Old 05-27-01, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Feneant
Sid Meiers' Civilisation and Civ2
Alpha Centauri is a pretty good sequel to this. Civ 3 is being headed by Sid Meier again, so it should be something to look forward to.
Old 05-27-01, 11:20 PM
Banned

goldeneye
Old 05-28-01, 12:00 AM

Won't that Bond game from EA (Agent under Fire or something like that...) be similar to Goldeneye? I was looking at some screens and it seemed heavily influenced by Goldeneye. And the sequel to Perfect Dark will be out on the GC as well.
Old 05-28-01, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Half-Life, for sure. I don't think there will be anything like it for a while.

And Rainbox Six. Most tense game, EVER.
Old 05-28-01, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by CKMorpheus

Not sure if you're joking or not, but how on earth can you say something like that about a game that's only a year or so old? That's like critics wetting their pants and saying "This is the best film of the year!!!" on the 3rd of January...
Old 05-28-01, 02:23 AM

I know this series has been beatin to death. But the game that I remember the most is Final Fantasy III for SNES. Perhaps it was just because I was younger but that game left an impression that no other RPG seems to come anywhere close to. What made it great was the story. I loved everysingle character in that game(except the hidden ones) and can still clearly remember all their roles and backstories, something I can't say about too many RPG's. I love how ff3 never really had a singular hero but instead was lead by a group of characters. Each one had their own interesting backstory which led them to join the group. ahhh, I think i'll have to pick up final fantasy anthology and play it through again to make sure it's still good.
Old 05-28-01, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd go with Sid Meiers Pirates also. Back when I had a C-64, I played this game non stop, then got into it again on the Genesis. This game was just incredibly ahead of its time when it was first release. A perfect blend of action, strategy, rpg, and storytelling - simple yet complex. The pirate-esque games that have come out since then have still not measured up to the original.
Old 05-28-01, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim
Originally posted by CKMorpheus

Not sure if you're joking or not, but how on earth can you say something like that about a game that's only a year or so old? That's like critics wetting their pants and saying "This is the best film of the year!!!" on the 3rd of January...
Half-Life AND Rainbow Six were both 1998 games. Approx. Three and a half years ago. They are not games that were just released last year. They are still played online (Half-Life beating out Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Rainbow Six, and Tribes 1 & 2 put together) and have stood the test of time.

They are still being used as the benchmarks for all other games in the First Person Shooter and Strategy genres. Deus Ex almost beat out Half-Life, but it is still holding out. A fast paced, well written story. Good voice acting. Excellent graphics. Amazing, atmospheric sound. Nothing can come close, or has come close yet.

I say, "They don't make 'em like that anymore..." because they don't. They are mimics, there are clones, but there will never, ever be anything that will rival Half-Life for a long time.
Old 05-28-01, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to go hardcore 'old school' here, but I think I had more fun playing Donkey Kong than I've had playing any other game since. I will admit that it was my first game that I really got into though...
Old 05-28-01, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Mario Kart for snes.
Old 05-29-01, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I would also like to put my vote in for pirates, anyone know where to get this gem for the computer? Wouldn't a internet version of this game rock? There could be an add on where other people could run towns and would have to defend against the pirates, and an armada of you and all your friends, I would pay huge sums of cash for a game like that... Also getting really obscure but river city ransom for the nintendo, beat the crap out of people to get money to buy sushi get stronger and kick more a$$.

ShadowHawk
Old 05-29-01, 11:36 AM
Banned

Sewer Shark
Old 05-29-01, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

King's Quest V, Civilization, and Master of Orion all give me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. There have been better games in all genres made by now, but they are still classics in my opinion.

-Matt
Old 05-29-01, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most of the oldschool Sierra/LucasArts Adventure games.

Space Quest, Police Quest, Kings Quest, Hero's Quest (renamed Quest for Glory), etc series from Sierra.

Maniac Mansion 1 & 2 , Sam and Max, Indiana Jones, etc.

Great fun

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.