Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here played Baldur's Gate 2?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone here played Baldur's Gate 2?

Old 05-31-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So http://www.compuexpert.com had an excellent deal for Baldur's Gate 2 for $14.90 (check out the 48-hour madness deals and sign up for the newsletter if you haven't already). I figured what the heck, I'll give this game a try. I usually like RPG's, but I'm mostly into the console-type RPG's like Final Fantasy and what not and this game looks like it may be a little more complex than that (OK, a LOT more complex).

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this game.
Old 05-31-01, 01:35 PM

this is a vey huge game. mush bigger than Final fantasy 7,8 or 9.

this is a turn base game, not many people like it. it is using D&D(2nd edition) rules, you may not like it coz it really need a lot of sleepless night to play. Thing is very slow, it is not a fast hype rpg game.

BTW, I like it. I have IWD, BG2 and heart of winter.
Old 05-31-01, 02:18 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn.. sold out now.

I have been wanting this game, but everywhere I look, its still $40-50 bucks.
$15 would have been sweet.
Old 05-31-01, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved all these games, although i have to admit that i never finished any of them (BG, BG2, Planescape Torment). They were enormous games, but if you enjoy the D&D universe as much as i do you will seriously dig them.
Old 05-31-01, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ninelives
...this is a turn base game, not many people like it...
Uh, not quite. It's one of the most universally lauded games in recent memory. I can't think of a single bad thing mentioned in any of the reviews I read, and for good reason; it is quite simply the best computer "true" RPG game (FF games and the like are really "RPG lite") currently available.

And, incidentally, it's not a turn based game. Real-time, though you can (should) pause to make decisions.
Old 05-31-01, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went over some of the D&D rules since I believe that is the rules the game follows. Seems like the standard stuff. Also, every review I've read of the game is positive. It sounds like I would get my $14.90 worth.

Also, sign up for the 48-hour madness newsletter or whatever it's called at http://www.compuexpert.com . It's well worth it.
Old 06-01-01, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by MWoody
Originally posted by ninelives
...this is a turn base game, not many people like it...
Uh, not quite. It's one of the most universally lauded games in recent memory. I can't think of a single bad thing mentioned in any of the reviews I read, and for good reason; it is quite simply the best computer "true" RPG game (FF games and the like are really "RPG lite") currently available.

And, incidentally, it's not a turn based game. Real-time, though you can (should) pause to make decisions.
yup, that's what i actually meant. For example if you are fighting a beholder, you need to press the space bar for pause. Then you will cast all kind of spells on yourself for protection. One by one, take one step at a time.

Actually D&D (paper and pen) is turn base.