Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sony says the game is over for Microsoft

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-01, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a little piece that some people may find interesting. Sony Computer Entertainment's president has said that Microsoft's game is over and there's evidentally a few other people who think so too. Here is the story

http://news.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pag...te=IXLZHNNP94C
Old 05-24-01, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something tells me that the Sony guy may be a little biased.
Old 05-24-01, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Mr Kutaragi said that US retailers were also pessimistic about Xbox. "Retailers told me that on a dollar base, they expect 70 per cent of their sales will come from PlayStation. The remaining 30 per cent will come from Nintendo and Xbox but almost all of that will be from Nintendo."
Biased? Naaaaah.

I still don't see much to brag about with the PS2, personally.

Old 05-24-01, 01:11 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The lack of games and "rough" graphics hasn't hurt the PS2 so far. What a joke.
Old 05-24-01, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
If you were at E3, and you just saw the XBOX from an outside view, they didn't have much playable. But if you went into the little screening room. they showed A LOT of kick ass stuff coming for the system. You have to remember that all they had there was what was still being programed. it is there first real E3 showing, and frankly Sega was WORSE then Microsoft on this one. Sega had the worse booth. Playstations area wasn't anything nice either. they had the same game spread out a bit to much. i didn't think they had much coming out. if you ask someone to name a couple of titles.. i'm sure they would tell you MGS2, FFX and Tony Hawk 3, devil may cry. Other then that PS2 comes up a little short.

Xbox didn't have much games displayed, what they did show of games to come and of games in the works was awsome. the graphics were twice as good as PS2. if you compared SMACKDOWN 3 (ps2) to WAR IS RAW(xbox) You would realize that XBOX was running on a very powerful engine. plain and simple. this is Total crap for Playstation. Ooh, i hear they will come out tomorrow and say that Nintendo has no game either

from what i remember, it seems like Playstation doesn't know anything about the game industry anymore. Look at the release of PS2. not enough to fullfill demand.. Ooh a fake shortage problem and the game titles on PS2 was simply terrible. Hell, it still is. there is not much of anything decent coming to PS2 for some time now. plain and simply, my "dead system" DC is beating the crap out of my PS2 play wise.

Sony screwed up with the PS2. they made it to hard to program for, which really killed a lot of third party support. they are bearly learning how to program the system. so it will take some time intill second generation of games even comes out.

Now for XBOX, it is the easiest thing to program for. since well, it is using a CPU type of program unit. third party support can easily churn out a game with ease. the only problem is XBOX needs to get them to jump on it. Which it will. just give it some time. November is some time from now.

This is total Sony marketing, making the brain dead Playstation worshippers go against another system. Hell they could never beat the support for a Nintendo system, so why should they try to when they can easily pick off the other little guy right?

Old 05-24-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Hell they could never beat the support for a Nintendo system, so why should they try to when they can easily pick off the other little guy right?

The fact that you even CONSIDER Microsoft to be the "little guy" makes me quesy.

And where are the "kick-ass" games you were talking about? RAW IS WAR (not WAR is RAW) was glitchy and unfinished, NFL Fever just plain bit, Halo becomes less and less impressive everytime as the developers keep on stripping features form the game, and Sega's Gun Valkyrie was just plain uncontrollable. That leaves, well, Munch's Odyssee and Dead or Alive 3, two games that actually lived up to the hype.
Old 05-24-01, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well plain and simple. Microsoft is the little guy here in the game console field.

Sony wants to pick them off. Hell you heard storys of EB and others getting pretty much told not to display much of anything of XBOX "or else!"

Dead Or Alive 3 looked beyond great
Tony Hawk 2x was a big winner
Silent hill 2 wil be making its way to XBOX,
Project K-X
Jet Set Radio looked amazing
Penzer dragon
HALO, sure it had odd frame rates at E3, but then again, its still in production. not the finished product!
Mad Dash racing was a fun idea and very well balanced (unlike super deformed bomba crap episode racing )
Blood wake was simply great and fun to play

Microsoft is the easiest of the two competitions that Sony has in front of them. they know they can't touch Nintendo because of the low price, the same size, and the great games they already have backing them up.
Old 05-24-01, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally my money for the rest of the year is going to the GBA and maybe the Gamecube. Let Sony and Microsoft duke it out for a year and then I will decide which one of them to support. I am much more hyped by what Nintendo has coming than either of those two.
Old 05-24-01, 03:14 PM

"Retailers told me that on a dollar base, they expect 70 per cent of their sales will come from PlayStation. The remaining 30 per cent will come from Nintendo and Xbox but almost all of that will be from Nintendo."

WHAT HAS THIS GUY BEEN SMOKING?? Does he REALLY think that Nintendo is gonna make that low a profit? It's almost a sure thing this guy's been paid. "ALMOST" all of it will come from Nintendo. Not only is Sony practicing wishful thinking with Nintendo, but their doing it with Microsoft too. Granted, Microsft is the new kid on the block, and their probably going to get knocked around, but I really don't think that their going to go under THAT badly. As for the Nintendo comment, the guy HAD to be on crack, thinking that Sony would rake in all that profit. Also, notice how Sony didn't DARE slam around Nintendo, my guess is their afraid of what'll happen to them, should they start slamming a compnie with as much power as Nintendo has. Lastly, who are these 'retailers'? No names mentioned; give me a break, if anything, Sony should be worried; bullieing around the stores with not allowing Bleemcast and X-box advertisements.

[Edited by Chaos on 05-24-01 at 01:16 PM]
Old 05-24-01, 03:33 PM

Well plain and simple. Microsoft is the little guy here in the game console field.

Sony wants to pick them off. Hell you heard storys of EB and others getting pretty much told not to display much of anything of XBOX "or else!"

Microsoft is the easiest of the two competitions that Sony has in front of them. they know they can't touch Nintendo because of the low price, the same size, and the great games they already have backing them up.
They are NOT the "little guy" in the console field. The "Little guy" was Indrema - and now that's dead. Microsoft is gonna pour $500 million on X-Box advertisement - more than Sony, Sega & Nintendo's marketing budget COMBINED. That isn't *little* - that's more than the GDP of many 3rd-world countries! Plus, they also control most of the world's software via their OS. The word "little" is as inappropriate as it gets. Bill Gates alone is richer than anyone in Sony or Nintendo.

For a conpany as rich and with as much resources as Microsoft, they SHOULD have been able to trump everyone at E3. The fact that all they did was make themselves look bad is a very, very sad statement.

You said Sony can't touch Nintendo because of "low price, the same size, and the great games they already have backing them up" - and that's exactly it. The X-Box has none of those qualities. If they did, they wouldn't have been such an easy pick. And that's not Sony's fault, it's Microsoft's. Blaming every little thing on Sony is just irresponsible - Microsoft alone is responsible, ultimately, for their own failures.

[Edited by Grimfarrow on 05-24-01 at 01:36 PM]
Old 05-24-01, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...C4447124E2A%7D

I posted this in the game cube post but from a stock side nitendo is doing just fine.

Old 05-24-01, 03:46 PM
Banned

Playstation 2 will die once the XBoX is released. End of story. It deserves to anyway for not living up to all the damn hype it got and for killing a superior system... the Dreamcast
Old 05-24-01, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by THX 1138
Playstation 2 will die once the XBoX is released.
You do know many units PS2 sold right? Sure, they had a shortage, but it was still a ridiculously high amount (10 million plus is said here http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...705845,00.html) A lot of people aren't going to touch XBox until they are established. By then, PS2 will start to roll out their lineup of games.

Please don't this thread into a console war. One great thing about this forum is we've had next to no problem with this. I agree that this article is biased and XBox is definitely going to compete. Nintendo will compete (IMO, they will be stronger than XBox because of their experience and support). DC is "dead", but it still is the best system out right now. It should be fun, for all video game fans.
Old 05-24-01, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Grimfarrow

They are NOT the "little guy" in the console field. The "Little guy" was Indrema - and now that's dead. Microsoft is gonna pour $500 million on X-Box advertisement - more than Sony, Sega & Nintendo's marketing budget COMBINED. That isn't *little* - that's more than the GDP of many 3rd-world countries! Plus, they also control most of the world's software via their OS. The word "little" is as inappropriate as it gets. Bill Gates alone is richer than anyone in Sony or Nintendo.

For a conpany as rich and with as much resources as Microsoft, they SHOULD have been able to trump everyone at E3. The fact that all they did was make themselves look bad is a very, very sad statement.

You said Sony can't touch Nintendo because of "low price, the same size, and the great games they already have backing them up" - and that's exactly it. The X-Box has none of those qualities. If they did, they wouldn't have been such an easy pick. And that's not Sony's fault, it's Microsoft's. Blaming every little thing on Sony is just irresponsible - Microsoft alone is responsible, ultimately, for their own failures.

[Edited by Grimfarrow on 05-24-01 at 01:36 PM]
The point is that Microsoft is the new kid in town. and from what i remember of the old days, the two major companies fought it out, but the new commer was the one to win. Remember.. Back when Nintendo and Sega had at each other... Sony defied the odds, and came in and kicked some ass. they are just to cocky now a days. this is a propagander so XBOX could get flanked a little. who is a worker at SONY, to critic on a different system? that was the stupidity in this. PS2 didn't come out with any great line up, and almost a year later, they are bearly getting some good stuff coming out. When PS2 was being announced, they showed NOTHING in the sense of things to come out when released. XBOX atleast is showing that it has plenty of support to keep it alive for the time being.
Old 05-24-01, 05:21 PM
Cool New Member

I'm rooting for x-box, for one reason, in the long run it will force the Japanese companies to focus on America as a prority and not a secondary market.

There is one thing that most people fail to mention in these "console war" discutions; Microsoft will force X-box to dominate, by any means possible. They have never been the best at OSs or Programs, what microsoft is good at is buisness. They will buy competitors, they will steal programers, they will pay 3rd party development houses, they will use every underhanded trick in the book to be number one, thats what they do, they are the pinical American company. They are ready to loose hundreds of millions to gain ground, and they have the bank to do it. God bless America!
Old 05-24-01, 05:33 PM

The point is that Microsoft is the new kid in town.
Jsut because they are NEW does not mean they are GOOD. You're assuming that just because Microsoft is new, it then must win sympathy points. A company as large and as powerful Microsoft does not deserve sympathy. They should be viewed objectively by their performance instead.

And on that front, they aren't performing well at all.

and from what i remember of the old days, the two major companies fought it out, but the new commer was the one to win. Remember.. Back when Nintendo and Sega had at each other... Sony defied the odds, and came in and kicked some ass. they are just to cocky now a days.
Your view of the "old days" and my view of the "old days" are very different. To me, the "old days" are the days of the Atari 2600s and the Colecovisions. I have been following this industry for a long, long time. And what you hypothesize is far from the truth.

US companies used to be the leaders in gaming consoles (Atari, Mattel, Colecovision) However, after the console market crash back in 1984, the US companies went bankrupt, one after another. Then Nintendo, the first of the Japanese companies, came in for the kill. In 1986, Sega brought out the Sega Master System. It did phenomenally in Europe but went nowhere in Japan and the US. Meanwhile, the PC-Engine came out by NEC is 1987 and became quite popular in Japan, especially the later CD-ROM incarnation of it called the PC-Engine Duo. But the machine's US/Europe incarnation, the TurboGrafx, went nowhere. Sega brought out the Genesis in 1988 and grabbed a significant US and Europe support - but not in its native Japan.

I could go one, but my point is that the video game industry has to be viewed globally, and not only the US. And like I said before, the only way for the machine to be #1 is to be successful in all three territories - Japan, US, and Europe. Sony had that. Nintendo had that. Microsoft won't.

this is a propagander so XBOX could get flanked a little. who is a worker at SONY, to critic on a different system? that was the stupidity in this.
I'm sorry, the English above is too muddled. Could you paraphrase it?

PS2 didn't come out with any great line up, and almost a year later, they are bearly getting some good stuff coming out. When PS2 was being announced, they showed NOTHING in the sense of things to come out when released. XBOX atleast is showing that it has plenty of support to keep it alive for the time being.
That's because there was no competition (no, Dremcast was mismanaged by Sega since the start - just like the Saturn). By the time X-Box is out, it has to contend with both the PS2 and Gamecube - it *better* have a good lineup!
Old 05-24-01, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
Dremcast was mismanaged by Sega since the start - just like the Saturn.
I'm curious as to how the Dreamcast was mismanaged. Now as far as the Saturn goes, I will agree that Sega made the console too difficult to program (just like PS2). However, I disagree about the mismanagement of the Dreamcast. Of course thats my opinion.
Old 05-24-01, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Absolute Zero

I'm curious as to how the Dreamcast was mismanaged. Now as far as the Saturn goes, I will agree that Sega made the console too difficult to program (just like PS2). However, I disagree about the mismanagement of the Dreamcast. Of course thats my opinion.
Everyone would agree that the Dreamcast is a good console with an extensive library. And the machine came out WAY before the Playstation 2 even started being hyped, so the argument that the PS2 killed the Dreamcast is silly - with such a lead, the fact that the Dreamcast still never took much of a market share seems to suggest something is wrong with Sega's marketing and/or management.
Old 05-24-01, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll agree that PS2 did not kill the dreamcast. I would however attribute the ease of game piracy early on in the system's life to the downfall of the Dreamcast. The lack of need for a mod-chip made it much easier for DC owners to get games. This, I would say, probably had a more significant impact on the system. Back to main point at hand, PS2 DID NOT kill the dreamcast. Although a factor, other factors were greater cause.
Old 05-24-01, 08:44 PM

What a crappy article. To say that combined, nintendo and microsoft will only account for 30% of the market share, is ridiculous. And the man intereviewed is more than biased. I put NO stock in this article.
Old 05-24-01, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Absolute Zero
I'll agree that PS2 did not kill the dreamcast. I would however attribute the ease of game piracy early on in the system's life to the downfall of the Dreamcast. The lack of need for a mod-chip made it much easier for DC owners to get games. This, I would say, probably had a more significant impact on the system. Back to main point at hand, PS2 DID NOT kill the dreamcast. Although a factor, other factors were greater cause.
this is why i feel the xbox will fail. copies running on emulators on pc's will kill the xbox. i hope nintendo does ok. the ps2 will have around 20 million units in the market by the time xbox starts moving. also they will be cheaper than the xbox.

it is pretty easy to pick the winner right now. if microsoft dropped the price to 199 or 149 then they would be able to compete. not at 299. at that price they lose the console war because sony is dropping their price.

Old 05-24-01, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hey Grimfarrow, Get off that high horse of yours will you?

Look the point of the matter is, Sony's line up when it was working on PS1 look terrible. they didn't have there work together, and the launch titles were limited to around 3-4 decent games. PS2 on the other hand has had a terrible game line up so far. I admit it will gain popularity once MGS2 comes out. Aswell as other games such as SC2, FFX, etc. but there is not much out there that the PS2 can really brag about.

What killed the DC was many factors, The hype of a new Playstation game system coming out made people hold off. the hype for the PS2 started a long time before anything was really even set in stone. this is one major factor that struck the Sega system. The next factor was Sega's history. the fact that 32x, Sega Cd, sega master system and sega saturn all went under without much support showed the public that Sega wasn't really supporting there machine. Sega Saturn wasn't a bad machine. the major killing point on that sucker was the fact that U.S didn't get much of any games. Sega didn't import many games, but it has plenty good games to its libary. PS2 was infact one of the major factors though.
Sega did seem to support DC, but its track record didn't help it bring in many consumers. Now that it is at a lower price. many are grabbing them. kinda ironic i would say.

As for Nintendo. Its been stated, Playstation wont dare touch them. for the factor that well, there is some history of friendship there since sony was working on the Nintendo SNES CD intill it branched into its own system, PSX. besides that, Nintendo has a totally different game plan. it targets Kids and enjoys doing that without any fail. they bearly started doing the whole Adult targeting with Konkers. Nintendo doesn't need the Mature titles and edge that Play station uses in order to attract the customers.

As for the "game history" I was just saying that in a sarcastic manner. Like stated before. we don't need A System wars. I am not say PS2 is a peice of crap. it is not. If the power it has is used in the right manner, it could be something that is just non stop fun. but for right now, it has very little titles that attract me. I own a PS2, and i must say that the DC gets more play time. Bouncer was a HUGE let down. it was suppose to be a turning point in PS2's title libary that will get the ball rolling, all it did was get me bored of the cut scenes and the loading time just to fight 4 people and then move on to yet another load screen, FMV, and load screen. PS2 should stop trying to smash the competition with these mind games with the consumers by putting these pointless articles out, and just work on there system in order to get more titles rolling. That was the thing about PSX that made it so powerful. each week there was atleast 3 titles coming out. One had to tickle your fancy for the moment. and it in turn expanded the libary beyond anyone's imagenation. Which put them on the map. they didn't have much games that were actually all that great, but because they bombarded the public with so much. anyone could really take a pick at something and enjoy it for the moment.

Xbox needs to show the public that it has plenty to work on. they have the power to do some wild stuff. they just have to jump at the chance. get some exculsive titles and get that balling rolling. lets see how they do.
Old 05-24-01, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
All of a sudden we have turned into "usenet"

I think its too early to tell. Many people thought Sony was crazy when they entered the market and they ended up dominating it. It will take a year to see what kind of software Microsoft releases. Sony finally has a good lineup of titles coming, so if Microsoft starts too slow they will have trouble. Gamecube and Game Boy Advance will survive just fine in their nitch, but Gamecube will still probably be number two.

Factors against Xbox are price (A console really doesn't start to get big market penetration until its under $200)

Software (Their machine is powerful, but their software is weak to this point)

Time will tell though. PSX had many of these problems when it launched.

BTW Sega did everything right with the Dreamcast. What killed the console was their mistakes of the past. Their reputation was already ruined by the 32X and Saturn. No one wanted to take a chance. Plus everyone was already hyping the PS2 when the DC launched so many people just waited because they wanted to have the latest thing. Believe or not most people think the hardware is more important than the games. They are of course morons.
Old 05-24-01, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Darkside... You are indeed the Voice of reason in the game industry.

It is very early to tell. but from the point of view right now, no one has truely doomed themselves. PSX had the same problems when they were starting up the PSX. no one really saw it as something they would want. but Nintendo and Sega were to busy with each other to see it was coming up and rose to the top.
Old 05-25-01, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Chaos
"Retailers told me that on a dollar base, they expect 70 per cent of their sales will come from PlayStation. The remaining 30 per cent will come from Nintendo and Xbox but almost all of that will be from Nintendo."
WHAT HAS THIS GUY BEEN SMOKING?? Does he REALLY think that Nintendo is gonna make that low a profit? It's almost a sure thing this guy's been paid. "ALMOST" all of it will come from Nintendo. Not only is Sony practicing wishful thinking with Nintendo, but their doing it with Microsoft too. Granted, Microsft is the new kid on the block, and their probably going to get knocked around, but I really don't think that their going to go under THAT badly. As for the Nintendo comment, the guy HAD to be on crack, thinking that Sony would rake in all that profit. Also, notice how Sony didn't DARE slam around Nintendo, my guess is their afraid of what'll happen to them, should they start slamming a compnie with as much power as Nintendo has. Lastly, who are these 'retailers'? No names mentioned; give me a break, if anything, Sony should be worried; bullieing around the stores with not allowing Bleemcast and X-box advertisements.

[Edited by Chaos on 05-24-01 at 01:16 PM]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.