Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you HATE Most about the VIDEO GAMING INDUSTRY ?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What do you HATE Most about the VIDEO GAMING INDUSTRY ?

Old 04-27-01, 05:43 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
for me it is the price of the games

i hate the fact that i have to resort to piracy but i just can't afford the $100 aust games cost!

If there were priced the same as dvds then i would buy originals, i know it's a vicious circle but i aint the one whose gonna step outta it and lose money !

Old 04-27-01, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, it would probably be the delays. It's frustrating when you're all set to buy a game or system only to find out it won't be out for another six months.
Old 04-27-01, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mezzanine
For me, it would probably be the delays. It's frustrating when you're all set to buy a game or system only to find out it won't be out for another six months.
Same here. I'm waiting for Duke Nukem Forever (it has been 2 years!!!!!!!!).
Old 04-27-01, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Video games have been way overpriced since the cartridge days when piracy was almost a non factor. I also wish they were cheaper, but when you look at how many millions of dollars its taking to make FFX you can kind of understand it in some cases. My biggest complaint is with quality. I can live with paying full price for a quality game, but 9 times out of 10 the games are never worth more than 10 or 20 bucks. I always buy at EB so I can return the crappy games. I just wish more companies put the care that Nintendo does into the final product.
Old 04-27-01, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
For me its the lack of system support.

there are some great systems like saturn which got no love here in the states. even though the imports just kick so much ass
Old 04-27-01, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The thing that has alway killed me was back in the days when all games were on floppy, all the companies said that the reason the games cost so much was because of all of the people copying them. The funny thing was that when CD's came out, and no one could copy, the prices stayed the same. Now that we can copy CD's, they say the priced are so high because of the copying...
Old 04-27-01, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

that we gotta wait for a ll of japan to play em first before we see em
Old 04-27-01, 10:50 PM

We don't get some of the good titles that come out in Japan and they get all the cool merchandise and special editions of games.
Old 04-28-01, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally posted by qbert
that we gotta wait for a ll of japan to play em first before we see em

Also, the really interesting games in Japan aren't released here...

Before I get a bunch of posts telling me it's because the US market has different tastes...I know this, but some of us here DO LIKE other stuff.
Old 04-28-01, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The idiotic consumers who'll lap up any old garbage like the Tomb Raider series, ten new identical football games every year, excreable games that look pretty and have a nice advertising campaign, appaling games that have a brand-name license, stuff like that. It's people like these that discourage games companies from actually making an effort; why should a games firm bother making the effort in producing a genuinely original and good game, when they can just churn out any old piece of crap, tag some famous brand or other on, and chuck loads of money at the advertisers...
Old 04-28-01, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim
The idiotic consumers who'll lap up any old garbage like the Tomb Raider series, ten new identical football games every year, excreable games that look pretty and have a nice advertising campaign, appaling games that have a brand-name license, stuff like that. It's people like these that discourage games companies from actually making an effort; why should a games firm bother making the effort in producing a genuinely original and good game, when they can just churn out any old piece of crap, tag some famous brand or other on, and chuck loads of money at the advertisers...

YES YES YES!!!!!

This is soooo true!!!

Old 04-28-01, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I also hate the fact that I'm at the mercy of the KIDS who rule the industry.

Because of this, games makers have to CENSOR games

[Edited by Giantrobo on 04-28-01 at 07:22 AM]
Old 04-28-01, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it annoys me how many games are released with major problems, that aren't fixed for weeks without the patch. if things like this happen on console games, then they're just unfixable. remeber how annoying it was when you couldn't get 100% in Gran Turismo 2? that's just carelessness. if I really thought about it, I could come up with a huge list of games that were released with major errors - what ever happened to quality control?
Old 04-28-01, 10:15 AM

3 things: First the Prices. They are high.

Second is Sony. I'm not saying this because I prefer Sega or Nintendo. I'm saying this because during the life of the original PLaystation Sony used the tactic of removing quality control (something Sega and Nintendo enforce, for the most part) and allowing companies to flood the market with **** games. I owned a PLaystation and during that time I never had more than 10 games because there weren't that many worth owning. Just about everything on the system was total crap, except for a few outstanding games.

The third thing I hate are what are known as casual gamers. These people are the reasons systems like the Dreamcast die young. Look at the Dreamcast and the mostly quality games it has (thanks to quality control). It is dying because casual gamers look at the PS2 and say "Oooh, prettier graphics," and then buy that instead. They care nothing for the games themselves or how they play (which is where Sony's flooding the market with crap works to their advantage), they just want what looks better.
Old 04-28-01, 11:51 AM

Not really going to comment on what my thoughts on the industry is, but I did want to comment on a couple issues.

First pricing. Pricing is not too high. Most of you just don't realize what is factored into the cost of developing a game these days. Heck you even ignore the fact that prices have gone down in the last five years, not up. Those that think game prices are too high are simply ignorant of the factors involved and have ignored the fact that prices have gone down.

Second issue is what games get released where. You think a lot of stuff in Japan is cool that doesn't get released here, but you can also bet there is hundreds of more crap that the Japanese get that you should be glad you don't know of. Complaining about what Americans like and don't like is stupid when you don't see that they get the same shovelware in Japan too. There are also games that get released here that don't get released over there and the same principle applies. We do get a majority of the games that are worth porting and the ones that don't that are still good, usually are niche titles that really wouldn't do well over here. Disappointing that I can't play it in English, so I play it in Japanese. But in the end, I understand why it won't get released here
Old 04-28-01, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I actually hate the fact that companies milk old games or won't release them again. Chrono Trigger is finally coming out on the PSX, but Squaresoft (and other companies) out to come out with more and bett compilation cds.
Old 04-28-01, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now this is a problem mostly with pc games - releasing games that are basically still in beta mode. Black and White is the perfect example. A wonderful game that is actually a lot of fun to play - but it has to be the absolute buggiest piece of software i have ever installed. Some of the bugs in it are so glaringly obvious that there is no way they could have played through the whole game in beta more than once and not noticed them. It's ridiculous.
Old 04-28-01, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are mulit-million dollar movies, right? But we don't see DVDs costing $50, do we?
Old 04-28-01, 02:47 PM

I would say the following:

1) Delays. While I don't mind waiting for a better quality game in the end, it does get frustrating sometimes. I think some companies plan better than others, too. Nintendo is especially bad with delays.

2) Lack of innovation. I'm an old-school gamer; I'm 31 and have been into video gaming since I got my Atari 2600 back in the late 70's. I've played a lot of games over the years, and I get really sick of the shovelware, knock-offs, rehashes, etc. that companies try to pass off to us. EA, once a great developer of sports games, seemed to throw innovation out the window years ago. As a result, I haven't bought an EA Sports game in years. Oh, some will tout Madden 2001 on the PS2, but I've played it at a friend's house, and I'll keep the great playability of NFL2K instead. Some games are so horrid that you wonder how a company could release it in the first place. You know the people involved with that project have got to be saying, "Jeez, this game *really* sucks hard", but they don't care. Out the door it goes. Acclaim comes to mind when I think of this.

In fact, it was a consistent diet of this crap that led me to fall out of gaming about a year or two after I bought the PSX (which I bought on launch day). I credit the game Driver for single-handedly getting me interested in games again.
Old 04-28-01, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Kevin H
There are mulit-million dollar movies, right? But we don't see DVDs costing $50, do we?
Movies have many different things that earn them money; cinema takings, video rental incomes, merchandising sales, product placements, licensing, soundtrack sales, yadda yadda yadda, and retail VHS and DVD make up a relatively small entry in the "Income" column of a film's accounts. Video games have one revenue source, and that's aimed at a fairly small sector of the public as well. Comparing the two and concluding that video games are overpriced is ludicrous, the markets are completely different.
Old 04-28-01, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The switch to 3D games. 95% of games' difficulty levels now are based solely on how crappy the camera/hit detections are. That's why im anxiously awaiting the GBA, so we can get some REAL games again.

[Edited by DVDKrayzie on 04-28-01 at 02:17 PM]
Old 04-28-01, 07:47 PM

Kevin: You forget that movies also get released in theaters and take in quite a bit of money before it ever hits DVD. Then there are pay per view, network deals, merchandising, video rentals, etc. There is quite a bit of other sources of revenue outside of DVD for movies. Yet even factoring that, the average MSRP of a DVD is $29.99 which is just $10 less than the average retail price of a video game. Factor in the simple fact that video games have to pay a substantial higher royalty fee over what DVD companies have to do, and that games offer longer entertainment value than a 2 hour movie, and the price difference doesn't seem so bad now does it?
Old 04-28-01, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
The switch to 3D games. 95% of games' difficulty levels now are based solely on how crappy the camera/hit detections are. That's why im anxiously awaiting the GBA, so we can get some REAL games again.
Dammit! I was all gearing up to say this but then you snuck it in at the bottom.

Yes, the "It can do 3D, so it should do 3D" attitude annoys me occasionally. I think games like Super Smash Bros. are acceptable (2D gameplay, faux-3D environment), but I really dislike a lot of the 3D stuff out now, unless they're 3D isometric RPGs.

-Matt
Old 04-29-01, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Matthew

Yes, the "It can do 3D, so it should do 3D" attitude annoys me occasionally. I think games like Super Smash Bros. are acceptable (2D gameplay, faux-3D environment), but I really dislike a lot of the 3D stuff out now, unless they're 3D isometric RPGs.

-Matt
besides RPGs (but gameplay isnt a factor with that genre really), Mario, Zelda, Metal Gear...hmm thats about it really made a good transition to 3D. Great franchises were ruined when they thought they needed 3D (Gex, Earthworm Jim, CASTLEVANIA--i think that one hurts the most, hell even Mortal Kombat was a lot more fun in 2D) Especially fighters...Tekken, DOA, Soul Caliber....bah...its nice eye candy but its all just PPK KPP garbage that no one really even plays competitively because it's way too simple. Give me street fighter anyday!

[Edited by DVDKrayzie on 04-29-01 at 01:26 AM]
Old 04-29-01, 09:57 AM

I have to slightly disagree with the 3D thing. I prefer 2D games as a personal opinion, but there are good 3D games. SSOUL CALIBUR (which was listed as a bad 3D fighter along with DOA2 and Tekken) is an excellent 3D fighter. It takes into account weapon length and all that and puts it into a fully 3D field and is nicely realistic in that respect. Even the DOA series is nicely done, especially with the counter system. However, I have to agree that the TEKKEN series is crap.

Other good 3D games not listed would be SONIC ADVENTURE, BURNING RANGERS (though I'm sure few people got to play the US version), the TONY HAWK games, and some others (not MANY others).

Yes, it is annoying how companies think, "It does 3D so the games have to be 3D," but there are still companies that do it right in 3D.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.