Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I Got My Gameboy Advance Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I Got My Gameboy Advance Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-01, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's right! I have the Game Boy Advance!!!

My local video game shop ordered in a bunch from Japan(and yes they do play USA games!!!!)

I love it! I paid $210, got the system, Mario and Rockman(Megaman). Megaman is useless as it's all in Japanese..and I don't speak it...but Mario is GREAT!!!

They've ordered Fire Pro Wrestling and F-Zero for me as well!

I love my GBA!
Old 04-20-01, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You lucky dog. I'm waiting for the U.S. release.

You might want to check out gamefaqs.com, they might have a translation for the Megaman game.
Old 04-20-01, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
we've had them at my store since the launch. the system is tight as hell except for 2 things.

1) the screen is even harder to see than the gb color.
2) it feels small and flimsy in my hands, and the buttons feel too small.

overall, nothing major, but i can't wait for the us release.
Old 04-20-01, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even with a tranlation it wouldn't help
Old 04-20-01, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if you have a Neo Geo Pocket but if you do how would you compare it?
Old 04-20-01, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deftones17
we've had them at my store since the launch. the system is tight as hell except for 2 things.

1) the screen is even harder to see than the gb color.
2) it feels small and flimsy in my hands, and the buttons feel too small.

overall, nothing major, but i can't wait for the us release.
Yeah, that's what I thought too, it just feels cheap. And way to small... but I like it!

And I never had a NGPC...so i don't know about comparing.
Old 04-20-01, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been playing Super Mario ALL NIGHt!(I'm DLing from Napster I need something to do )

I forgot how truly great this gae was....it's basicallyjust SMB2 with some added level areas and some boss voices..
Old 04-21-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll bump this up. I want to gloat for another day.

Old 04-21-01, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The screen is even harder to see? What a rip! I have great vision, etc. and I hat the gbc screen. Too many light reflections. Worm light just glares off the plastic. I may reconsider getting one once I see them.

Sega Game Gear is still #1 for me. Just wish it had new games.
Old 04-22-01, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kvrdave
The screen is even harder to see? What a rip! I have great vision, etc. and I hat the gbc screen. Too many light reflections. Worm light just glares off the plastic. I may reconsider getting one once I see them.

Sega Game Gear is still #1 for me. Just wish it had new games.
Yes the screen is TOUGH to see. Reflections galore and if you hold your finger above the screen, you get this huge shadow and you can't see anything...I thought the thing had a COLOR TV SCREEN! I can watch TV in the dark, why can't I play GBA in the dark!

As for Game Gear, Majestic is rereleasing it, with some new titles....www.gamepro.com
Old 04-22-01, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Thunderball

Yes the screen is TOUGH to see. Reflections galore and if you hold your finger above the screen, you get this huge shadow and you can't see anything...I thought the thing had a COLOR TV SCREEN! I can watch TV in the dark, why can't I play GBA in the dark!

That's because it does not have a back light. If it did, not only would it cost more probably, but more importantly it would eat up batteries even faster.
Old 04-25-01, 12:00 PM

According to the developers -- and I would take this as a grain of salt, as with anything straight from Nintendo (though I presume they seriously considered a backlight) -- adding a back-lit screen not only decreases battery life when turned on, but even if the backlit screen is disabled, it increases screen reflectivity in bright light (sunlight, etc.) due to the extra "lit" layer. (even when off) So in sunlight you'd probably have to just find some shade and turn on the backlighting anyway.

Don't quote me on this.

~Steve
Old 04-25-01, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Steve Y
According to the developers -- and I would take this as a grain of salt, as with anything straight from Nintendo (though I presume they seriously considered a backlight) -- adding a back-lit screen not only decreases battery life when turned on, but even if the backlit screen is disabled, it increases screen reflectivity in bright light (sunlight, etc.) due to the extra "lit" layer. (even when off) So in sunlight you'd probably have to just find some shade and turn on the backlighting anyway.

Don't quote me on this.

~Steve
Old 04-25-01, 01:22 PM

Old 04-25-01, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Steve Y

Don't quote me on this.

~Steve
That's true. Just go into any a/v store. They got the TV's set to maximum brightness in order to overpower the brightness of the overhead lights. Otherwise the TV's would look washed out and difficult to see.
Old 04-25-01, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Thunderball

As for Game Gear, Majestic is rereleasing it, with some new titles....www.gamepro.com
Do you have a link, I went to gamepro and couldn't find anything, even with the search.