Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Good MYSTERY Games?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-01, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My girlfriend has decided that she wants to get into PC games, so when we were in CompUSA last week, she actually bought "Nance Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion". Well, at least she likes it, but now she wants to know what other mystery games are out there, perhaps for adults? I'm not really a gamer, so I couldn't come up with much: grim fandango, myst, riven, Black Dahlia. Anything anyone would recommend--game shouldn't be too overly complicated, and should not be at all action-packed. Thanks!
Old 04-16-01, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't know if they can still be found, but the Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes from EA was excellent. There was also a sequel called the Rose Tattoo. Broken Sword 1&2 are kind of mystery solving games. I also enjoyed Clue Chronicles: Fatal Illusion which is about as close to the Nancy Drew games as I can think of. BTW there are also a couple of new Nancy Drew mysteries for the PC.
Old 04-16-01, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you tried Clue for the Sega Genesis?
Old 04-16-01, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Gabriel Knight series is your best bet. All of them are excellent, especially the first, which IMO remains the best game I've ever played.
Old 04-16-01, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Day of the Tentacle
Old 04-17-01, 09:19 PM
Banned

try myst, seventh guest, blair witch project on ebay for real cheap prices.
Old 04-18-01, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I second the Gabriel Knight series.
Old 04-18-01, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by Avid Fan
The only mystery that are inherent within the three games you mentioned above is why people actually bought such horrible games.
Old 04-18-01, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
The only mystery that are inherent within the three games you mentioned above is why people actually bought such horrible games.
Hey, c'mon, Myst and Blair Witch sucked donkey, but 7th guest was pretty damn good. Still listen to the soundtrack occasionally; no game since has topped it in atmosphere music.
Old 04-18-01, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why don't you just drop the mystery games and play NFL2K1 for the DC?
Old 04-18-01, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MWoody
Hey, c'mon, Myst and Blair Witch sucked donkey, but 7th guest was pretty damn good. Still listen to the soundtrack occasionally; no game since has topped it in atmosphere music.
I can see why you wouldn't like Myst (although I loved it) and haven't played enough of Blair Witch to make an opinion although it does seem like a resident evil knock-off to me. However, the 7th Guest was awesome. I loved the story, the atmosphere, the music, the animation, and the puzzles were pretty cool. I wish they made more games like this
Old 04-18-01, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Both Myst and 7th Guest are solid puzzle solving type adventure games. If you like that genre of games there are few titles as good as those. Why people must constantly bash a groundbreaking game like Myst I will never understand. You might as well say that Super Mario Bros or The Legend of Zelda sucked as well.
Old 04-18-01, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Back on topic, try the Tex Murphy games for another good mystery selection. Under a Killing Moon was the first CD-Rom game and is great. The Pandora Directive is also a must buy. Those two were great examples of an interactive mystery game. The last Murphy game made was Overseer and while its not as good as the previous two titles it is worth picking up if you liked the series. If you are really a fan Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum can probably still be found, but those were on disc and were more of the text type adventures. I loved this series of games, but when Microsoft bought out Access software they killed the series. They only wanted Access for the Links golf program.

[Edited by darkside on 04-18-01 at 01:46 PM]
Old 04-18-01, 04:48 PM
Banned

well these were the only ones I knew so I was trying to be helpful unlike your third person personal attack. . I personally think that blair witch is cool. Have you ever played it. Pretty good for $5 on ebay don't ya think?
Old 04-18-01, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Jamezuva

I can see why you wouldn't like Myst (although I loved it) and haven't played enough of Blair Witch to make an opinion although it does seem like a resident evil knock-off to me. However, the 7th Guest was awesome. I loved the story, the atmosphere, the music, the animation, and the puzzles were pretty cool. I wish they made more games like this
Therein lies the problem - the 7th Guest was pure eye candy. None of the puzzles are even remotely related to the storyline, and they are contrived as can be (I'll be glad if I don't see another chess-board puzzle again in my life). Heck, if you take all the fancy multimedia away, would you have even bought it? All that would be left is a bunch of dull puzzle games.

Old 04-18-01, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by darkside
Both Myst and 7th Guest are solid puzzle solving type adventure games. If you like that genre of games there are few titles as good as those. Why people must constantly bash a groundbreaking game like Myst I will never understand. You might as well say that Super Mario Bros or The Legend of Zelda sucked as well.
If you call clicking on static postcards a "game", then you may as well draw tic-tac-toe on walls instead and save yourself $29.

Old 04-18-01, 05:28 PM

well these were the only ones I knew so I was trying to be helpful unlike your third person personal attack. . I personally think that blair witch is cool. Have you ever played it. Pretty good for $5 on ebay don't ya think?
How is my statement a personal attack? I wasn't referring to *you* - I was referring to how people bought these horrible titles. Just like sometimes I buy rotten apples, it has nothing to do with the buyer itself - it's a comment on the games.

Of course I've played Blair Witch - it was even worse than Nocturne, which wasn't good in the beginning. You're much better off playing Alone in the Dark.
Old 04-19-01, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by darkside
If you call clicking on static postcards a "game", then you may as well draw tic-tac-toe on walls instead and save yourself $29.

Have you ever played either game all the way through? There is a lot more there than a tic-tac-toe game. If you don't like the genre fine, but your attacks against both games are weak.
Old 04-20-01, 08:41 AM

My first reaction in replying to this thread was to suggest any of the South Park games released for the PC or consoles to date, since it's a complete mystery to me as to how these games were ever released. But now I see you mean "mystery" in a different way.