Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Good Bye Dreamcast - Welcome PS2

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-01, 10:43 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodbye Dreamcast -- Hello PS2

I buckled under the pressure from my son and traded in my Dreamcast system (with 15 games) at Babbages. They gave me $306 in store credit for everything. (Right now they have a promotion to give an EXTRA $2 per used game). I used the credit to purchase a PS2.

I felt a little sick as I traded the DC in, but I feel very comfortable with it now. Since the Dreamcast has no future, it made it easier to do. And I'm very confident that the PS2 games will grow quickly in number and quality. It should be a very viable system for years.

So far we purchased FIFA Soccer, SSX, and an ATV game. They look very good graphically and are fun to play. Are there some other games out now or soon that anyone would recommend? Thanks!

P.S. I also plan to get an Xbox in November.

[Edited by mikesu on 04-13-01 at 08:45 AM]
Old 04-13-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Madden is good if you like football. there is some controversy over the 2 baseball games, triple play and all star baseball. i have triple play and like it. i also like quake 3 and swing away golf. between work and school i haven't had alot of time to go rent a bunch of games and test them out.
Old 04-13-01, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just have to say that even though the DC "has no future", it's still a GREAT system. My SNES has no future, but I play it all the time.

Anyway, I would reccommend getting TTT, ZOE (if you don't mind a rather short game), and Onimusha
Old 04-13-01, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I have learned to never get rid of a console and it's games.

I've traded in about 4 consoles, and I deeply regret every one. I've since repurchased an SNES and some of my favorite games for it.

I've learned to never do that again especially with the Dreamcast games.
Old 04-13-01, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Indeed - my DC is a keeper - even thinking about getting another in case this one wears out... would hate not to be able to play all the great games I've stockpiled through the years...
Old 04-13-01, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

big mistake turning in the DC - there's a bunch of great games on the horizon. Plus, there's almost nothing right now on the PS2.
Old 04-13-01, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought a PS2 the past week too, but I kept my DC. There's too many games I want to get before they stop making them. Crazy Taxi 2, Beach Spikers, Virtua Tennis 2, NFL/NBA/NHL 2K2 and more! Plus rumors of Streets Of Rage, Shinobi and Toe Jam & Earl sequels.

So far I've tried FIFA, SSK and ATV on the PS2. I didn't like SSX at all, ATV is great and so is FIFA.
Old 04-13-01, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Nothing wrong with getting a PS2, but you should never get rid of the old console IMO. I still have all of the consoles I have bought and from time to time I love to go back and replay them.
Old 04-13-01, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Dude.. never go in for those trade in scams. its just a total rip. they give you penny on the dollars for what the value of the game console is.. and even more so for DC. that system is just awsome. And getting rid of 15 games?!?! jesus! the horror. I would have just kept the dc and saved cash for the PS2. there is so many DC games that will forever be classics. Hell i still play my saturn, nintendo, snes and genesis. they have games that will never be seen on another system and it is worth every penny i paid of the system to keep it for my enjoyment.
Old 04-13-01, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure the age of your son but Onimusha is a very nice game. Mature though with violent content.

Madden is definitely a lot of fun if you like football games. Probably be able to find a cheaper used copy too.

Anyone who has a PS2 should at the very least rent ZOE so they can play the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo. It's unf***ing-believeable!!!
Old 04-13-01, 08:53 PM

I have to agree.. never get rid of your consoles.

I have about nine or ten now and although they are not all hooked up I do go back to the others from time to time.
Old 04-14-01, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dude, what a big mistake! I absolutely love my PS2 but i would never trade my DC, ever! You should of just kept it and saved up for a PS2 later on. I once sold my Sega CD and what a big mistake that was, it took me a couple of years to get it back. Well you will no doubt enjoy your PS2, its the best, but youll miss your DC. You'll regret it when Shenmue 2, Sonic 2, Crazy Taxi 2 and others come along. Youll see.
Old 04-14-01, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That was the dumbest mistake I've heard in a while. WHY DID YOU DO THAT!
Old 04-14-01, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why don't you guys back off some. What's done is done and it can't be undone. If he's happy with his decision (which he already stated he is) then so be it. The man asked for some game recs plain and simple. Can't any of you do that without personal insulting, being judgemental, or replying based solely on the fact he got rid of a Dreamcast!?! Don't pretend to know all the circumstances and don't be so quick to judge on the very little info. you have. It's obvious some of you guys don't have a lady in your life. If I told my wife that regardless that I had a DC +15 games I was going to buy a PS2 AND also buy an X-Box in November...I'd be out on the street.

In short...lay off. Either answer the question or don't bother replying.

Mikesu: I hope none of these postings would discourage you from posting further. Most of us enjoy answering the questions actually posed.
Old 04-14-01, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I personally wouldn't get rid of my DC but I think in your case it was the best move.
Old 04-14-01, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by KnightSkywalker
I personally wouldn't get rid of my DC but I think in your case it was the best move.

Same here.....I am keeping my Dreamcast for Shenmue and Code Name Veronica.....and....

Shenmue II
Alone in the Dark
Old 04-14-01, 10:51 AM

Karma, while I agree with the heart of your reply, I don't think it's out of bounds to reply and comment on anything in the original post, even if it's not answering a specific question.

It sounds to me like the decision to turn in the DC was based on the fact that it has no future, which, IMO, is rather faulty logic. Who cares if the DC has no future? Does it make the existing games, many of which are arguably AAA titles, any less fun? I would guess that this person is going to miss their DC in the future, and I would suggest that that person strongly consider re-purchasing a DC while they are still available if that's the case.

Now, as far as the original poster's question goes, I cannot answer that. I have yet to purchase a PS2 because I simply can't find anything out for it yet that makes the system a justifiable purchase. However, it does sound like you've picked up what I've heard are the better games out for the PS2 so far (SSX, ATV) and I'm sure those will keep you busy!
Old 04-14-01, 11:23 AM
Cool New Member

I appreciate the feedback. I anticipated that I would get some strong reaction to dropping the DC. I understand that to some a video game system is a very sacred thing. I don't have that strong of ties. I liked Tony Hawk 2. But PS2 is getting Tony Hawk 3 so I think I'll be satisfied. I never really got into Shenmue or Code Name Veronica (sorry). Crazy Taxi was okay for me, but my son (10 years old) didn't like it much. We both liked Sonic Adventure. Jet Grind Radio just sat on the shelf. The most played games were Demolition Racer, NBA2K1, Rayman 2, and Fur Fighters. Rayman and Fur Fighters is coming to the PS2. There are also some basketball games on the horizon for PS2. Personally, I'm waiting for Halflife -- which is coming to PS2 soon. My son is really looking forward to 18 Wheeler, which is being produced for the PS2 as well.

So, based on our tastes and preferences, it appears that PS2 is fine for us. Although I'm sure we would have played the DC occasionally after buying a PS2, I think that it would soon just gather dust, especially when the games stop being produced and the Xbox is purchased. I know this makes a few of you wither in agony and cry out in distress, but that's the reality for us.

As I mentioned earlier, we are trying to also save up for an Xbox, which is looking very good at the moment. I think that in 8 months, having a PS2 and Xbox will just about cover the gaming world and provide for as much video game entertainment as we could take.

By the way, are there any opinions on "Time Spitters" for PS2? It looks like a GoldenEye kind-of game. My son wants Army Men: Air Attack 2. Thanks for the feeback.
Old 04-14-01, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by mikesu
By the way, are there any opinions on "Time Spitters" for PS2? It looks like a GoldenEye kind-of game. My son wants Army Men: Air Attack 2. Thanks for the feeback.
I appreciate your candid reply to the above comments including mine. I was not trying to make you feel bad just that in my opinion it would have been better to keep the DC. I do however respect you decision and why you made it. You are probably right when you say the PS2 and X Box will cover most of ones gaming needs especially as Sega is going to produce games for both.

As to your question above. I don't own Time Splitters but I have palyed it a few times. It was developed by the same people who made Golden Eye and so has a good pedigree so to speak. It's a very good game although it is more fun in multiplayer then single. Plus it has a cool level editor too. If you like first person shooters then you can't really go wrong with Time Splitters. I have not played Army Men:Air Attack 2 but it has not been getting favorable reviews so you might want to rent it first.
Old 04-14-01, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Karma
Why don't you guys back off some. What's done is done and it can't be undone.
Haha geesh, you guys act like he traded in one of his children or something. Some people can't afford to keep all of their systems, and some people don't ever go back and play older games again. And some people aren't spoiled kids who's parents buy them anything they want (not saying anyone here is).

BTW, some folks in here with 9 or 10 systems - anyone have a Neo-Geo system to sell? Preferably the double-speed CD system with some arcade sticks? I have mucho cash...
Old 04-14-01, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by naitram
Haha geesh, you guys act like he traded in one of his children or something. Some people can't afford to keep all of their systems, and some people don't ever go back and play older games again. And some people aren't spoiled kids who's parents buy them anything they want (not saying anyone here is).

BTW, some folks in here with 9 or 10 systems - anyone have a Neo-Geo system to sell? Preferably the double-speed CD system with some arcade sticks? I have mucho cash...
Looks like someone's living in the past.
Old 04-14-01, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Originally posted by naitram

Looks like someone's living in the past.
Hell...for that matter...anyone have an old Sega CD.....Jaguar....Atari 5200...

j/k naitram.....

I will be hanging onto my Dreamcast without a doubt...as I posted earlier...for the games I currently have for the system....and a big reason will be Shenmue II which should be released in the fall!!!
Old 04-15-01, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I traded in my super nintendo and sega genisis to got my N64 in 96 and do regret it. I am hanging on to all I have now. My PS, N64, DC, and my PS2.
Old 04-15-01, 12:53 PM

Why don't you guys back off some. What's done is done and it can't be undone. If he's happy with his decision (which he already stated he is) then so be it. The man asked for some game recs plain and simple. Can't any of you do that without personal insulting, being judgemental, or replying based solely on the fact he got rid of a Dreamcast!?! Don't pretend to know all the circumstances and don't be so quick to judge on the very little info. you have. It's obvious some of you guys don't have a lady in your life. If I told my wife that regardless that I had a DC +15 games I was going to buy a PS2 AND also buy an X-Box in November...I'd be out on the street.

In short...lay off. Either answer the question or don't bother replying.

Mikesu: I hope none of these postings would discourage you from posting further. Most of us enjoy answering the questions actually posed.

I agree. Actually... I agree with what he did. I too got rid of my Dreamcast. I sold it on Ebay for more than I paid for it. I just don't like the system and have no regrets.
Old 04-16-01, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL everyone talking about regretting trading in there systems. The truth is i do to :-) I wish i never got rid of NES. I had a huge library of NES games a long time ago and traded them in for Genisis and Games. Then i sold that genisis and stuff for when i got PS THen i traded with a guy online my PS for his N64 which i still have and wont get rid of ever because of WWF No mercy and the Bond Games. I also have DC which i will hold onto because of Shen-mue, Virtua Tennis and a few others. I bought a PS2 exactly a month ago and i have no regrets about getting it. But i still regret getting rid of that NES till this day. I miss Punch out :-) I rebought genisis off ebay with 32x and a load of games a few months back and i enjoy it a lot. Playstation 1 I never regretted getting rid of it. The games on it never excited me. BUT since they play on PS2 i Picked up Medal of honor 1 +2 and will probably pick up some of there collector series games which are $19.99:-)

Capt

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.