DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Exchange Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-exchange-forum-30/)
-   -   Question about packing games for mailing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-exchange-forum/326355-question-about-packing-games-mailing.html)

DaBargainHunta 10-27-03 06:08 AM

Question about packing games for mailing

I haven't sold or traded any games on here, Ebay, or anywhere else (though I've scored a couple of good deals here - thanks, guys), so I'm wondering exactly what the appropriate method for packing games would be?

Is a bubblewrap envelope good enough or would I need to use something more secure? I've mailed DVDs in a bubblewrap envelope in the past without any problems, but I'm asking because in case I ever do put anything up for sale/trade here or anywhere, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks!

bigdaddy1980 10-27-03 08:59 AM

I've always found a bubble-wrap envelope to be just fine for most games. But I guess it really depends on how delicate the item is.

Josh H 10-27-03 01:22 PM

Bubble wrap envelops are fine. Another good idea for games and DVDs is to put a strip of tape across the center of the disc, that will make it less likely to pop off and move around in the case getting scratched up.

cozmo 10-27-03 03:46 PM

Padded mailers are good too. :)

Bru 10-27-03 06:03 PM

I always use boxes. many times I have got broken discs, loose discs or crushed cases. boxes dont cost that much and not much to mail. media mail is usually as quick as priority and cheap. a boxed dvd with packing and delivery confirmation costs me under $2 , usually. also when sending a dvd take a paper towel, fold it up and stick it against the dvd in the case. it will keep it from comming off the hub.

hope this helps.

Groucho 10-27-03 06:07 PM

Bubble-wrap envelope...if it's good enough for the online game retailers, it's good enough for ME!

DaBargainHunta 10-28-03 08:15 AM

Thanks for the helpful feedback, guys. I have a couple more questions:

- Josh Hinkle, if I put a strip of tape (scotch, I assume) across the center of the disc and the disc somehow becomes loose, wouldn't contact with the sticky tape damage the disc?

- Bru, how exactly does putting a paper towel on top of the disc in the case make the disc more secure? That doesn't make sense to me (I'm not arguing with you, just wondering).

- I usually save the bubblewrap envelopes I get when I order something from an online retailer (because I trade with my online friends outside of ebay, this site, etc.), but I think read once that it's illegal to reuse those when mailing something out to someone else. Is that true, and more importantly, would anyone on here really care if I did that?

Thanks.

Josh H 10-28-03 10:36 AM

The tape (yes scotch) would in all likely hood remain on the top of the disc even if the disc popped off, so the chances of it getting sticky on the bottom are pretty slim. Plus scotch tape doesn't leave behind much sticky.

The paper towel folded up would keep the disc pressed in place, making it unlikely to pop off.

As for the envelopes, I've never heard of that being illegal and don't see why it would be. The only illegal thing I've heard of it taking priority mail boxes for the PO and turning them inside out and sending them media mail, UPS etc.