Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

New Star Trek TV Series - Looking Forward or Dreading?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New Star Trek TV Series - Looking Forward or Dreading?

Old 04-10-01, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since it's on UPN again, I'm pretty much dreading the idea of this new Star Trek series that's about to go into production.

Especially if--as it appears--the show takes place in the pre-Kirk'n'Spock era, AND they've completely trashed all historical continuity so that they can have an even earlier starship Enterprise ...

I'm worried about the new movie plans, too. While I'm not a complete Berman-basher like most Trek fanboys nowadays, I DO agree that prospects of the franchise really getting re-invigorated are almost NIL under his supervision.

Comments on either TV Show 5 or Movie 10?
Old 04-10-01, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would definitely check out a prequel series. That sounds like a great idea. We got a taste of it at the end of First Contact. I wonder how many years after First Contact it takes place. Go back to the basic premise of the original series and TNG. None of this space station or lost-in-space type stuff.

No comments about the movie, except to say that since it is an even numbered one, it should be good.
Old 04-10-01, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk God

I am not a big fan of prequels for a number of reasons. One is that when tv technology has changed you have the impression that the future had a technological lapse. For example, in the prequel, would they have analog clocks like the did in TOS? Of course not. Take a look at SW The Phantom Menace. Here we are left wondering if all technology goes down the tube in the future. Incredible technology in the first movie, and crap by the 4th. This is just nitpicky, but it is my opinion.

They must be true to the chronology of Trek to be very successful, IMO. That does not necessarily mean that we can't have an Enterprise, but would mean that the Capt. must be Pike or April, or have a very good reason why it is not. They should not introduce races that are "discovered" in TNG but are not around in TOS, etc.

Basically, I am sceptical, but look forward to any and all Trek. I thought they would do better by having the new show based on the New Frontier series by Peter David with Capt. Calhoun. That would be truly exceptional, allow for some good crossovers, and even contain some familiar characters.
Old 04-10-01, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If the rumors turn to be true about Scott Backula playing the lead role as captian, I'm there!
Old 04-10-01, 09:26 PM

I'm trying to be optimistic about it...
Old 04-10-01, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't like the idea of a prequel... we should be looking forward not backward... my ideal series would be set about 20 years in the future with some familiar faces promoted - set on the Enterprise G or H.
Old 04-10-01, 11:12 PM
Suspended

was never much of a trekkie but some of the shows have been cool, and I know someone that wrote and episode of Voyager

The prequel idea sounds interesting, and if the quantum leap guy is really in it then I'm sure it'll be great, but I know what with hollywood and all, they're not gonna stay true to stuff in the original series (Which I admit I never ever liked anyway), or they'll try and fail and it'll just look too high tech compaired to the old stuff.
Old 04-11-01, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I hope they put it into general syndication and not upn only. I get a upn station on cable but when I go to my parents I don't get any access to upn
Old 04-11-01, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The prequel concept has been pretty well debunked by most Trek fan sites. The names of the supporting cast members of that alternative "Enterprise" crew too closely resembled the names of the cast members of the Classic Trek seven. It was almost surely fabricated.

There have been way too many conflicting reports about whether Scott Bakula is onboard for the new season to really believe anything. Personally I loathe Scott Bakula and think his personality and acting style too closely resemble that other smarmy "sciffy" has-been: Dirk Benedict.

If all these rumors turn out to be true -- the series' abandonment to the UPN graveyard, the involvement of caterpiller-eye-browed Bakula and the continuity destroying "prequel" bandwagon-itis -- then I'm SO NOT THERE.

Trek deserves better than to re-hash tired "sciffy" concepts that were left on the pop culture rubbish heap more than two decades ago.
Old 04-11-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by grunter
Personally I loathe Scott Bakula and think his personality and acting style too closely resemble that other smarmy "sciffy" has-been: Dirk Benedict.
Good call. I also think of them in the same light as the guy from Newhart.
Old 04-11-01, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Once again, all this Prequel show stuff is still completely unconfirmed, and many non-raving fanboy sources state that it may be a studio planted rumor to throw fans off the details about the new show.

The Bacula casting (if its true) is a mistake. i dont like the idea of using a pretty well known actor, especially one who mainly known in sci fi circles as another character. i think the smartest casting decision they can make is get an unknown for the captain, and for supporting roles get some good character actors like Brad Douriff and Jeffery Combs (and the guy who played Garak), who proved to be great peripheral/guest characters on Deep Space and Voyager.

As far as if the prequel rumor turns out to be true, i dont have high hopes for it, because if there is one thing that plagues Trek its inconstancies and a prequel show would lean itself towards even more and have all the geeks throwing tantrums. i for one would be incensed if a new prequel show didnt keep up the fine "Classic Trek" tradition of objectifying women.
Old 04-11-01, 02:35 PM
Banned

no shatner, no good.
Old 04-11-01, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by iaido
i for one would be incensed if a new prequel show didnt keep up the fine "Classic Trek" tradition of objectifying women.
Agreed. A prequel show gone PC would be dreadful! We need miniskirts for all the ladies, and fu-manchu mustaches for all the Klingons!

Actually, I hope the prequel doubters have it right. NCC-1701-G or H sounds like our best direction.

Geek question: How would they number a prequel Enterprise anyway? Wouldn't they have to give it a new prefix so they could keep the traditional 1701?
Old 04-11-01, 06:41 PM
Banned

well for one thing, there were 2 captains of the enterprise before kirk.
Old 04-11-01, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would be called Enterprise like the space shuttle and even a Navy ship are called Enterprise.... It wouldn't necessarily be the traditional starship... thats what I got from reading the Prequel report, which, I wholehearedtly believed was a studio planned mis-direction. However, we ARE dealing with UPN, so you never know.
Old 04-12-01, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by dvdnaut
well for one thing, there were 2 captains of the enterprise before kirk.

Just of that particular Enterprise though. There were likely Federation ships named Enterprise before it.
Old 04-12-01, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Trekkin'

Chances are good that I will check it out UNLESS, when the official press releases hit; I see that they've already messed with the history. Life is too short for bad TV and there is already lots of good S/F on TV and more coming.

I've always liked Trek, started watching Classic when it first came out at a young age. Liked TNG and DS9, but stopped watching Voyager early on and never went back. I'm not overly impressed with Berman/Braga and they already lost their best writer, Ron Moore.

For those who say they don't like Classic Trek, that's cool, as long as you remember that without it, we wouldn't have Trek at all.

Old 04-15-01, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

they didn't fire rick berman, so I dread this new series. They REALLY need some new creative talent running star trek. The whole thing hasn't really changed much since TNG aired back in 1987. The only real difference is a drop in quality, otherwise it all looks the same.
Old 04-15-01, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm so torn over this. The title says it all. I guess I'm looking forward TO dreading it.

I sincerely hope its better than voyager! Did anyone else notice that season 2 or 3, like only 20% of the episodes actually happened?!?! The rest were dreams, or flashbacks, or alternate realities, or time warps, or blah blah blah... Thats when they lost me!

Hopefully This new series will break some new ground, and have a driving force and cast that make it worth watching every week!
Old 04-16-01, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some fresh blood on the creative team would be a great idea. Also, keeping the suits out of the creative process would help as well.
Old 04-16-01, 02:14 PM
Banned

i can't wait for the new series and hope its in the same time period as the kirk movies or voyager and doesn't have any babylon five-esque characters!
Old 04-16-01, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just because it's called "Enterprise" doesn't mean it has to be a Constellation class starship. Remember in the first movie when Decker was showing Ms. Clean around and he was in the lounge? "All the vessels were called 'enterprise'."

I'm sure they'll find a way to mangle this beyond belief, but I am looking forward to a return to the basics.

J
Old 04-16-01, 06:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

The original series had a 60s idea of "the future". Let's say that the reports are true and it is set in the time soon after first contact.

Unless they are utterly clueless they will recognise that they have an interesting challenge in getting something that "fits" between the Picard timetravel film (name eludes me) and the original series.

That gives scope for some creative retro-fitting which should be good to see. It won't be exactly steampunk or Brazil but could be quite interesting; especially as they have scope to lay intelligent groundwork for future events.

[Edited by benedict on 04-16-01 at 03:29 PM]
Old 04-16-01, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Avid fan - well you can't blame them completely for "ripping off" B5. I think what happened was they hired an EFX guy that had worked on B5.
Old 04-16-01, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The sure things in this world are:

1. Death.
2. The new Star Trek series will suck.
3. Taxes.

Do you really think there is ANY way it can be any good with the track record they have had since the mid-1990s? Keep dreaming. Even their best/most experienced writers (fallen out of favor with the ST regime currently in place) think the whole thing needs a LONG rest.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.