Favorite man & woman couple in a TV commercial

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Favorite man & woman couple in a TV commercial

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-01, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like there are lots of most-hated commercial threads lately (for the record, I can't stand the little Pepsi girl ads).

On the positive side, who's your favorite man & woman couple in a TV commercial? (e.g., Jim Garner/Mariette Hartley in the old Polaroid ads)

My favorite is the elderly black couple in the Philips Milk of Magnesia commercials. The ones where she's always telling some third person about how the husband is irregular. Love his facial expressions.

Old 04-04-01, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bill Cosby/Jello
Old 04-04-01, 04:52 PM
Banned

Bob Dole
Old 04-04-01, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's a no brainer. The Taster's Choice couple. I loved those commercials.
Old 04-05-01, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Triple H and Stephanie McMahon
Old 04-05-01, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I second the Taster's Choice couple. What ever happened to them? How did the story end?

My vote for WORST couple goes to Teri Hatcher and what's his name in those Radio Shack commercials. Ugh. They have zero chemistry together.
Old 04-05-01, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Mr.T and Loni Anderson
Old 04-05-01, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jadzia!!!!

You do still exsist!!!!

I never found out what happened at the end of the commercials; I missed how they resolved it. The last one I saw, he found out about her son.

I do know that the actor in that is now Giles on Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Yum.

Old 04-05-01, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by elektra
Jadzia!!!!

You do still exsist!!!!

I know, I know. I have been busy with work and out of town so I haven't been posting as much lately.

Went to Las Vegas and stayed at the "Star Trek" hotel. Pikul & I shared a huge drink known as a "Warp Core Breach"

I also got to see Jadzia & Worf's wedding clothes at the museum!
Old 04-05-01, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, it was for work. All is forgiven.

Lucky sh*t! I want to go and check that out.
Old 04-06-01, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by Jadzia
I second the Taster's Choice couple. What ever happened to them? How did the story end?
Here's an excerpt from ENTERTAINMENT WIRE detailing the last commercial:

GLENDALE, Calif.--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--Oct. 22, 1997--After seven years and 13 episodes, the beloved Taster's Choice Instant Coffee commercial romance campaign is coming to a close, and the final chapter will be decided by the brand's loyal following.

The relationship between the sophisticated coffee couple has been brewing since the first spot debuted in November 1990, when the lovely female stranger borrowed a jar of Taster's Choice from her handsome neighbor. But will the unexpected visit of her dashing ex-husband cause her to wake up and smell the coffee?

This Sunday, Oct. 26, coffee drinkers nationwide will make the choice between "Michael" (the neighbor) and "Andrew" (the ex-husband) by redeeming the Taster's Choice coupon in their Sunday newspaper and voting for the lucky groom. The Sunday insert, which will be featured in 50 million daily newspapers across the country, asks: "Who will win her undying love? Is it Andrew or Michael? Their destiny is in your hands."

"For seven years our consumers have eagerly awaited the outcome of the romance between the Taster's Choice coffee couple," said Terri Johnson, communications manager, Nestle USA Beverage Division. "Because of the loyal following enjoyed by this campaign, we thought it fitting to let the people decide the fate of America's favorite commercial couple."

Is the bride planning for a Valentine's Day wedding with her sweetheart? Taster's Choice will announce the lucky groom in the Feb. 3, 1998 issue of Soap Opera Digest.

When last seen in Episode No. 13, the final ad in the Taster's Choice campaign, the woman was left in a quandary. Her ex-husband had made a surprise visit and stayed for a cup of Taster's Choice as she was getting ready for a night out with Michael.

When Michael arrived to pick up his date, he was taken aback at the sight of her ex-husband sitting in her living room drinking Taster's Choice (after all, it was Michael who introduced her to the aromatic coffee). Following an awkward introduction and some tense moments, the final scene showed Andrew calling his ex-wife the next day to apologize for his unexpected visit ...

"I'm sorry about last night," said Andrew. With an enchanting expression, she responded, "I'm not."

Now that Andrew is "in the picture," is she having second
thoughts about her relationship with Michael? Is her ex-husband her first and only true love? Or, will Michael be the lucky man? Will the strength of their seven-year courtship and the love they share for Taster's Choice endure this latest development?
"The relationship between the couple has reached its climax, so we wanted to give America the choice on how it should end," added Johnson. "Also, we look forward to unveiling a fresh, new, and equally exciting national advertising campaign for Taster's Choice in
1998."

An article from the March 17th 1998 Soap Opera Digest:

Anthony Head, for one, was anxious to resolve the caffeinated cliffhanger. Although the British actor is now starring as Rupert Giles on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, he still gets recognized from playing Michael in the commercials. "The last installment aired about a year ago," he relates, "and I fear it will be the last time we delve into these people's lives. My character had just met her ex-husband (played by Sharon Maughan's real-life spouse, Trevor Eve), which took our storyline into a new area. Trevor naturally shared his own chemistry with Sharon, so it was really easy for me to play feeling awkward and uncomfortable. We thought we were in for a feud. They had at least three more episodes planned. We were supposed to shoot two, and suddenly we didn't."

Taster's Choice conducted a contest that gave viewers the opportunity to decide whether Michael or ex-husband Andrew wouldwin the lady's love. In the February 3 issue of Soap Opera Digest, a Taster's Choice ad revealed
Spoiler:
that Michael was the winner, adding: "Rumor has it that they've eloped, and Michael is constantly showering her with affection, flowers and, of course, Taster's Choice." Talk about soap opera. Viewers on both sides of the Atlantic enjoyed this coffee klatch, complete with sexual tension, mixed signals and double entendres. "We really could have given fans a final episode," sighs Head.

Danny in Yorktown, VA.

Old 04-06-01, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now, wasn't that helpful!

Thanks for the update.
Old 04-06-01, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia

My vote for WORST couple goes to Teri Hatcher and what's his name in those Radio Shack commercials. Ugh. They have zero chemistry together.
I agree with both of these choices!
Old 04-06-01, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's kind of funny because the Terri Hatcher commercials are with her football husband, Howie Long.
Old 04-06-01, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by elektra
It's kind of funny because the Terri Hatcher commercials are with her football husband, Howie Long.

They aren't married. Don't know why you thought that.
Old 04-06-01, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No Kidding!!!!??? I thought that was her hubby. We were watching that commercial and someone said they were married. Just thought they were.
Old 04-07-01, 03:06 AM

Teri Hatcher has been married to actor Jon Tenney ("Brooklyn South") since 1994 and Howie Long to Diane Addonizio since 1982 according to ET ONLINE.

Danny in Yorktown, VA.
Old 04-07-01, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for clearing up my confusion. I do like those commercials.