Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What's with the Sopranos' Obsession with 'Gladiator'?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What's with the Sopranos' Obsession with 'Gladiator'?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-01, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
It was awful cool the first season when The Sopranos made a few scattered references to The Godfather Trilogy. You'd think that a bunch of New Jersy mobsters would look to those films with great reverence. In addition, Little Stevie does a pretty good Pachino. What's going on this season, though? Every episode has like three refernces to Gladiator. It's like they're obsessed with talking about and quoting this film. I think it's getting real old real fast. I wonder if HBO is trying to get them to hype the film (as it'll be an HBO exclusive in the upcoming months, and will be very exciting for the six people who subscibe to HBO and don't already own it on DVD or video). I guess it's not a big deal, but it is really distracting and rings false on a show that used to be very realistic.
Old 04-02-01, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
i think that when they were filming these episodes Gladiator was at the peak of its popularity. they try to keep the show fresh and "real" so by the time the show hits our tvs some of the episodes may be a little stale

I'm guessing
Old 04-02-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Gladiator = Rome = Italy = "the other side"
Old 04-05-01, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the references with Gladiator only come from Ralph Cifaretto, who is obsessed with the movie. I think he sees himself as Maximus. I don't think he will be around much longer though.
Old 04-05-01, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoiler:
I am going to have to disagree with that. From reading the Tv Guide article he has become the nemesis of Tony, so....Who knows?(i put the spoiler on because people can be sensitive)
Old 04-05-01, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally posted by Rider69
I think the references with Gladiator only come from Ralph Cifaretto, who is obsessed with the movie.
Not so. AJ describes movie scenes at the dinner table. One of Tony's henchmen was quoting dialogue in the season opener. Like I said in this thread, the references are getting out of hand here.