Tonight's Sopranos [Spoilers ahoy!]

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tonight's Sopranos [Spoilers ahoy!]

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-01, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what'd you think about tonight's show?

I thought the rape scene was just a little too graphic. I know the show is supposed to be realistic, but they could have at least had the camera move away just as they don't usually show bullets entering into someone's body.

I'm a bit fachlempt, discuss amongst yourselves.
Old 03-18-01, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I gotta say, that rape scene was pretty horrifying for being on TV, even HBO. I don't know how any of the actresses who play the victims of rape actually get through the day of shooting the scenes, from all different angles (depending on the shooting script). That have to be a hellish day on the set for Lorraine Bracco.

The writers needed some way for Melfi to stay because as it was being written, she really didn't have any professional reason to see him due to everything they've tried. Behavioral therapy is the next step for Tony, but Melfi's ulterior motives now make her want him in her back pocket, so when she is ready to direct her anger, Tony will be there, as the pit bull, to tear Rossi's nuts off.

I wonder if that rape was instigated by someone trying to get to Tony. We'll just to have wait and see.

What's kinda of interesting to me is how quickly time flies through one episode. Tonight, we went through almost 3 weeks of Tony time.
Old 03-19-01, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that I'm as big of a Sopranos fan as there is, I'm from Jersey & live right near where a lot of the show shoots & Gandolfini even shot a commercial a couple of weeks ago for my school's football program show I really support the show but this episode sucked. I don't know if it was written by a different person but the writing was horendous. I don't mind cursing at all, but the show is really overusing the F word & just using it in really awkward places where there is just no need, like Melfi's son coming in & literaly saying it every other word. My least favorite character has always been Melfi, but the only good aspect of her character is that she is the only moraly decent character on the show. I hope she doesn't use Tony for revenge b/c then every single character on the show is pretty much evil & to me then there is no balance, you must have some moraly redeeming characters.

Also the show is getting to the point that the only scenes I care about are the one's w/ Tony in it, I can't stand to watch scenes w/ Janice, Melfi, or his wife, & the Joey Pantaliano's characters is just a Richie Apriele wannabe & the best character potential on the show in Furio is never used. Oh well, hopefully next weeks will be better.
Old 03-19-01, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree with "Sessa" more. While the scenes with Tony in them are definitely a highlight, I think the success of "The Sopranos" is largely due to the overwhelmingly strong work of the supporting cast. How could you possibly get through an episode without the irrational antics of Janice? (I just about died laughing when I heard her pathetic re-creation of "Satisfaction" on the guitar last night.) Or the increasingly bad Pacino impressions of Silvio? Or Paulie's superstitious mumbo-jumbo? Or "Baby Bing's" slack-jawed space-cadet stares? Or Christopher's sloppy, monster bong hits? Or Adriana's trailer-park fashion sense? Or Svetlana's (!!!) pouty, cigarette-breath, mangled insults? (Just call me de facto President of the Official Svetlana Fan Club.) Or Carmela's shrewish judgmental tirades? "The Sopranos" has a rock-solid all-around cast that create a realistic micro-cosm of what the modern-day mob might be like in central Jersey. I think anyone that discounts this significant asset is just plain off their rocker.
Old 03-19-01, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Grunter, I absolutely love the cast, the show IMO is the greatest casted T.V. show of all-time & next to Furio, Silvio & Pauly are my favorite characters & read my post again ,I never said once in my post the cast was bad, I just I don't like Melfi or Janice or any of the new guys. The actress that plays Janice is amazing but I hate the character. My complaint is who the episodes are focusing on this season. Pauly & Silvio are nothing more than the comic relief, Furio has such potential but is barely given screen time(although I think that will change eventually), Pantaliano's(sp?) character is nothing more than a replacement antagonist for Richi Apriele(who was probably my favorite character of all 3 seasons), Chris I like but not his fiancee, & I absolutely hate the shrink, just my opinion but her angle on the show has been done to death. The kids are O.K. but I don't like Meadow & of coarse Junior is magnificent but we really haven't seen him this season.

It's jsut my opinion but the my favorite parts of the show are Gandolfini & the writing & I just don't like the direction so far of the characters. To much cursing for no reason & the show needs balance, some morally decent characters. W/ the exception of Melfi right now every single character on the show is a dark, malicious character.

Despite my complaints Sopranos is by far still the best show on T.V., just given the first 3 episodes to me, the cast has not been as stong as the first 2 seasons.