Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy's Mom.... Why!?!?! [Spoilers]

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy's Mom.... Why!?!?! [Spoilers]

Old 02-28-01, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW! Last week when the focus changed from Buffy walking in the door to her "wide-eyed" dead mother lying on the couch, I was completely horrified. Honestly...let people get ripped apart by Vampires or Demons...that's not scary. Someone dropping dead of a brain anyurism is horrifying (because it's real!!!). I thought this show was supposed to be entertaining...not depressing and upsetting. It is supposed to be about hot chicks kicking butt and a bunch of tongue-in-cheek jokes...not death and special episodes.

I must say it was well put together. The whole silence thing made it very realistic. I just want to know why this happened this way and what the heck Joss Wheadon was thinking? If anyone has any insight to this whole "Buffy's Dead Mom" thing...please post.

Thanks
Old 02-28-01, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, Kristine Sutherland reportedly wanted off the show, and Joss wants an Emmy, so...

The death makes sense to me. It is a powerful way of illustrating that some things in her life are beyond even Buffy's control. And I'm sure it will create some interesting family angst, with Buffy having to care for Dawn. It also clears the way for her dad, Hank, to make an appearance, although I'm not sure if that is planned.

--Heather
Old 02-28-01, 11:16 AM

Thanks alot for giving a major spoiler away in your topic GRRRRRRR. I don't have the WB and have to get a friend to tape them for me and won't get to see the feb. episodes for another month. You know not everybody gets to watch an episode when it's on. Next time be a little more considerate and don't put any spoilers in a topic.

Clint
Old 02-28-01, 03:47 PM

Clint...in all due respect...If your in an area as such and do not have access to a major television network, you have no business wtching the show and also DUH, DON'T GO ON THE TV TALK THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't people discuss a baseball game the day after it's been on????? Don't people discuss the results of an election the morning after the totals are in????? GIVE ME A FRIGGIN' BREAK!!!!!!!!! OOOHHHHH Let's all cater to Clint and be real careful what we write on the INTERNET...he doesn't have t.v. and it may spoil something for him!!!! Well excuse me for posting a comment in a TV FORUM. It's not like I did it before the show aired (Then I could see you being mad). I am always a nice guy and real patient...but you buddy are a friggin' loser!!! If you love television so much and are afraid it may get ruined for you either: A) stay the hell off the internet. b) move to civilization!!!!!!!

Dude...you're a "tool".

And that's the bottom line...cause I said so!!!!
Old 02-28-01, 03:49 PM

Heather...thank's for the info...you "rock"...I just may love you (provided you really are a girl...not a dude named heather!!!)

Oh...by the way...Clint sucks...just in case you haven't heard.
Old 02-28-01, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by stupidheadmike
Clint...in all due respect...If your in an area as such and do not have access to a major television network, you have no business wtching the show and also DUH, DON'T GO ON THE TV TALK THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't people discuss a baseball game the day after it's been on????? Don't people discuss the results of an election the morning after the totals are in????? GIVE ME A FRIGGIN' BREAK!!!!!!!!! OOOHHHHH Let's all cater to Clint and be real careful what we write on the INTERNET...he doesn't have t.v. and it may spoil something for him!!!! Well excuse me for posting a comment in a TV FORUM. It's not like I did it before the show aired (Then I could see you being mad). I am always a nice guy and real patient...but you buddy are a friggin' loser!!! If you love television so much and are afraid it may get ruined for you either: A) stay the hell off the internet. b) move to civilization!!!!!!!

Dude...you're a "tool".

And that's the bottom line...cause I said so!!!!
stupidheadmike, I think your name says it all. Clint has every right to watch that show even though it isn't in his area. Your reasoning defies logic, are you trying to be Dr. Laura? You could have put the title for this thread something as "What's up with the latest episode of Buffy?". And by using spoiler space in the actual thread. By the way, grow up and have a nice day.
Old 02-28-01, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey stupidheadmike, first things first. This is the TVTalk forum, not the TV Spoilers talk forum. Second, many people have these things called VCRs, or Tivo or Replay. They do not watch LIVE television for whatever reason. I don't think a **SPOILER ALERT** in the thread title and using the spoiler code in your post would have been too hard, would it?

You wouldn't post spoilers in the title of a post in the At the Movies forum the day the film opened just because you saw it, or would you?

And you did fly off the hook a little too much. No need to resort to name calling. You're not just catering to Clint, you're catering to all of us. This is the way things "happen" on this forum, and it's not too much to ask to keep it that way. You want to start a spoiler forum somewhere, go right ahead.

[Edited by dbrink on 02-28-01 at 03:45 PM]
Old 02-28-01, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

stupidheadmike:

You should be careful not just about posting spoilers, but about making comments that violate forum rules, such as the above. Personal attacks can result in accounts being banned.

--Heather
Moderator, DVD Talk & Reviews forums
Old 02-28-01, 10:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DVDer
Well, Kristine Sutherland reportedly wanted off the show, and Joss wants an Emmy, so...

The death makes sense to me. It is a powerful way of illustrating that some things in her life are beyond even Buffy's control. And I'm sure it will create some interesting family angst, with Buffy having to care for Dawn. It also clears the way for her dad, Hank, to make an appearance, although I'm not sure if that is planned.

--Heather
I agree with DVDer! If the actress playing the mother wanted off the what a better way to do it! Even the causul viewer like myself knew the mom character was ill or dying!Besides Kristine Sutherland might of wanted to move on to movies,TV ads, made for TV movies(in other words Greener pastures!)Also was she in anything else besides Buffy at all these past few years? The death of the mom was more real than vampires and demons as we all have to face the fact our parents will die someday(or have for those on the board whose parent's are dead!)This episode was about Buffy confronting personel demons!
Old 02-28-01, 10:50 PM

I am not going to sink down to your level s&8t head mike. I was not rude in my message I don't think. You were very rude so I should not be surprised by you putting a major spoiler in your topic. It is just common courtesy to put spoiler space and not to put a spoiler in a topic. I have not gone in and read any Buffy threads on purpose so I don't find out anything. How could I not see the spoiler in your thread? Why should I not go to the TV Talk Forum just because you can't be respectful? I watch alot of shows and watch most of them the same week they are on and enjoy talking with people about them. Grow up dude and be more respectful to your fellow DVDTalkers. Thank you.

Clint

P.S. Hey Heather if you would ban him I would love you forever .
Old 02-28-01, 10:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DVDer
stupidheadmike:

You should be careful not just about posting spoilers, but about making comments that violate forum rules, such as the above. Personal attacks can result in accounts being banned.

--Heather
Moderator, DVD Talk & Reviews forums
Can one get "banned " by doing what he did?
Old 03-01-01, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Aaron Amos:

Can one get "banned " by doing what he did?
That depends on the circumstances and what exactly was said. Some members are simply warned via e-mail or on the forum, some are temporarily suspended, and some are banned. In my experience, it depends on:

a.) what negative things were said
b.) the circumstances around what was said
c.) and, depending upon the situation, a user's history

I don't know if what was specifically said in this thread would merit an administrator banning someone (I wouldn't think so, unless there have been previous warnings), but as I said, personal attacks can result in banning.

--Heather
Old 03-01-01, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

What is the proper amount of time to no longer be a spoiler?

As apoint of fact, we knew Mrs. Summers was dead at the end of last weeks episode, on Feb. 20th. I think spoilers suck, especially being on the West Coast, but I don't think we should take great lengths to disguise our discussions because Clint won't get his tapes for another month.

It's simply a matter or making this forum work and not be a place to wait to discuss current plot lines.
Old 03-01-01, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think it would take too much effort to avoid placing spoilers in subject lines. That, I believe, was what angered Clint.

As far as the (non-title) thread content itself, I always assume when browsing a forum or newsgroup that any TV-related thread I open could contain spoilers.

--Heather

[Edited by DVDer on 03-01-01 at 01:03 AM]
Old 03-01-01, 05:45 AM

To be honest with you, I don't think I did anything wrong by making my topic what it it was. How long after a show do i wait before its O.K. to discuss it openly. O.K., so if I had put more thought into it I probably could have been more considerate and not posted the fact that Buffy's mother is dead in the title. The reason for my reaction was due to Clint's reaction. I didn't post on here so I can be "scolded" by some dude without television. My assumption was anyone who was a faithful watcher of the show would have seen it already. I know I sound like a geek by saying this, but I make it my business to clear my schedule for "Buffy" being that I've gotten so into the show. A few years ago I started watching it after my sister told me "It has monsters and hot girls...the show was made for you!". Ever since then I've been hooked and watch it faithfully. How am I supposed to know that there are people who watch a show faithfully that they don't even get in their area????? I reacted to Clint's reaction. And if I can be banned for calling Clint a "tool"...then anyone who attacked me for attacking Clint should have the same warning. Anyway, this is what happens when people disagree. I meant no harm to Clint...I just wanted him to get real and see where he is being a little "whiny".

Look...I meant this thread to be informative..If I caused it to turn into anything else, I apologize. I just think Clint should realize that being he is not in an area that gets the show, he should stay away from Forums that talk about T.V. shows. In any event, if I need to post what way be considered a "spoiler", I will be as vague as possible in the title.

Thank You.

And Heather...thank you for trying help me in my point about it not being a "spoiler". That's all I was trying to get across (I was just a bit abrassive in my delivery).
Old 03-01-01, 05:47 AM

By the way...sorry for the way the last post was written...I wrote this in the few minutes Iof free time I have befor work....gotta go.
Old 03-01-01, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by stupidheadmike
I meant no harm to Clint...I just wanted him to get real and see where he is being a little "whiny".
Great apology

IMO clint was not at all out of line.

Too bad this whole thing turned negative,

but,

wouldn't it be cool if her mom came back as a vampire or demon and buffy had to stake her or chop her head off? what a conundrum. (sp?)
Old 03-01-01, 08:46 AM

Yes Heather , that is what angered me. Stupidhead you can post spoilers to your hearts content in the actual message in your thread. To post a major spoiler in the title that anyone opening that forum can see is just rude. If someone posted the shock ending of a movie that you were dying to see and hadn't seen yet in the title of a post in the DVDTalk Forum wouldn't you be pissed as hell? People don't do that in DVDTalk, why should you get to do it in TV Talk? What's the difference? That was my whole point. I was not opening any threads that were about Buffy. I could not help but see your message in the topic listings tho. I did have the WB but when WGN quit showing it I lost the WB in my area. I have called Directv upteen times asking them to add it but they still haven't. I have been a long time fan of Buffy and look forward to watching it. One of the things I most look forward to are the surprises. You took one of those away from me and it made me mad. Next time please do the nice thing and don't put a spoiler in the title of your post. That was all I was asking. I don't see why that is so hard for you to understand. I also don't think it is an unreasonable thing to ask.

Clint
Old 03-01-01, 02:59 PM

Clint, just for you I am going to mend my ways. I was a "spoiler-posting" idiot but have seen the light. Due to my ephiphany (that you helped me get to...thank you...thank you, Clint) I will lead a crusade against the inconsiderate habit of ruining everybody's t.v. experiences.

O.K....I've had enough of the sarcasm..it makes me "sleepy".

To be honest...I understand what you are saying...but...it is different with a movie. Not everyone sees a movie the day it comes out. This is because a movie runs for a few months then runs again on video. Once it has been on video for a while, I feel the topic of the ending is fair game. Like the end of "The Crying Game". Dude I never saw the movie and know the guy turns out to be a chick at the end (Uh oh...did I ruin something else for you?????). How do I know this...because after the movie has been out a while its like...if you haven't seen it by now...you had no interest in seeing it in the first place. In this case, I feel, posting the ending for discussion is fair game. Contrary to what you believe, I would not post the ending to "Hannibal" in the title of the thread (my user name is "stupidheadmike" because I like the funny name...not because I have a low mental capacity). When it comes to t.v, very few "faithful" fans of a show would go two weeks without watching the show. Though I am sorry that you had to see my post, I stand firm in the fact that I was not wrong. It is television and I reiterate my example of a baseball game or an election. Once it has happened...its news and no longer a secret. MOVIES ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DUE TO THE TIME FRAME IN WHICH WE AS MOVIEGOERS ARE GIVEN TO SEE A MOVIE. MOVIE=3 months (give or take a few months ...depnding on how good or bad the flick is) and TELEVISION = 1 night. You were unfortunate to stumble across the title of my post, but your situation is a rare one (in relation to how many fans already know what happened.). I have a hard time backing down when I know I'm right. Will I post what something was about in the title of a thread again? NO. Not because I feel it was wrong to do it, but because I don't want to waste my time having to explain the obvious to someone like yourself. Now stop pouting and go watch the episode...No matter what, it's still a great episode. And hey, maybe Heather is right..maybe Joyce will come back as a vampire. That would kick-ass!!!! Probably wouldn't be the most sensitive ending for this, but it would be rockin' none the less.

Heather, I'm trying to get a point across without offending Clint or anyone else (again). This was not my intention. Let me know if I am out of line with this post.

[WOW, I can't believe I went through all of this over an episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (I guess I just like a good debate...or I'm a geek loser...huh..whatever).]

[Edited by stupidheadmike on 03-01-01 at 01:05 PM]
Old 03-01-01, 03:06 PM

By the way, Heather...what is "IMO"??? I'm real new to this and don't got the lingo down.
Old 03-01-01, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
IMO=in my opinion
Old 03-01-01, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Like others above, I think this was a terrific way to handle the actress's departure, and a terrific episode. I don't think for a moment that it'll get any Emmy notice, but I wish it would -- this series has been sorely neglected.

Where's it going to go from here? I don't know, but it sure makes me wonder more than ever what they're going to do with her little-sister-the-key after the end of this season or major arc. Are they going to turn her into a "regular girl" -- or leave Buffy completely all alone in the world?
Old 03-01-01, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some of us actually tape a week's worth of shows to watch on the weekends when we have time. It's a shame that this thread has degenerated into one person trying to explain why it's ok to spoil other people's fun because it's just a TV show and not a movie.
Old 03-01-01, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just wanted to say that the spoiler should have been in the main body of the post, not the title. I know this has been said before, but when I first read the title I thought, "Great, now I know she's dead." I don't really watch the show, so this doesn't really effect me, but it does effect others.

Just because its on TV doesn't mean its news. I don't think "The Death of Buffy's Mom!" made the 11 O'Clock news.

Just my $.02

-CM-
Old 03-01-01, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Although this thread has degenerated, considering that Buffy's mom died a week and a half ago and the preview for Tuesday's ep talked about dealing with the death of a loved one... Unless you're two weeks or more behind, I can't see how this could come as a shock.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.