Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How messed up was "Starship Troopers" tonight on FOX?Anybody watch the whole movie?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How messed up was "Starship Troopers" tonight on FOX?Anybody watch the whole movie?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-01, 01:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just how messed and censored was "Starship Troopers" tonight on FOX? Anybody know? I swear they cut the shower scene?Did they? Also the swear words were pathetic! Especially Patrick Muldoon with the brain bug ! He was supposed to say the F word there not "stinking" !I swear with the ads on TV this movie was hurried along too damn fast!It felt like a 90 minutes instead of a 2 1/2 hour movie!

So did anyone turn in to see how messed up this movie was for TV?Anybody?
Old 02-24-01, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They chopped out a lot of the early part of the film, and some of the training (it seemed). But it played pretty brisk, and I didn't mind the "lack of cuss words".
Old 02-24-01, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually, the ending with Zander and Carmen seemed to have gotten cut up a bit as well. But I was amazed at some of the gross out scenes were left in this edited version.
Old 02-25-01, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
But I was amazed at some of the gross out scenes were left in this edited version.
Besides the puke scene I dodn't remember much else that was gross. The live ammo drill was surprising but in slow mo that rubber head looks far more funny than anything else. A
Old 02-25-01, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was surprised they left the "knife in the hand" part in (when they're training, and the commander or whatever throws the knife at that really blonde guy.
Old 02-25-01, 11:43 AM
Banned

I watched it while at work (bartending in a hotel lobby) and it actually drew a little crowd. about 10-15 people actually sat and watched it until the end (not bad for tips).

Although I obviously perfer the original version, it was still fun to watch.
Old 09-14-19, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: How messed up was "Starship Troopers" tonight on FOX?Anybody watch the whole movie?

I am replying to this thread from 2001 just to state: this is one of the most underrated movies ever made.

But more importantly, the book is one of the most prescient, exciting, and depressing books ever written.

So, watch it, and/or read it, and/or ignore this...carry on.
Old 09-14-19, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: How messed up was "Starship Troopers" tonight on FOX?Anybody watch the whole movie?

The first time I saw this movie in the theaters back in the day, I thought it was "Beverly Hills 90210 in outer space".

The subsequent times I saw this over the years since then, I thought it looked more and more like a subtle satire on militarism.
Old 09-14-19, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
The first time I saw this movie in the theaters back in the day, I thought it was "Beverly Hills 90210 in outer space".
Old 09-14-19, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

The subsequent times I saw this over the years since then, I thought it looked more and more like a subtle satire on militarism.
That's exactly how my group (we went to see it on a work 'movie day') described it.

I actually said the same to a friend, last night, when we were talking about it.

That being said, I do enjoy it, in all its cheesiness. I still love the effects, too.
Old 09-14-19, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Crap if I knew this was on tonight I def would have watched it.
Old 09-14-19, 11:34 PM

For anyone who strives to find deeper meaning in Science Fiction, you could do worse than Starship Troopers, though the book is very different from the movie. Both great in their own way.

If you want to read something that will move you to tears (and why wouldn't you?) check out the book "Forever War." A parable about futility.

The more TV I watch lately, the more I appreciate the written word. That's not to say I don't enjoy the great shows we have these days, there's just room for both....
Old 09-15-19, 01:48 AM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Aaron Amos was like the OldBoy prototype.
Old 09-15-19, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by cowtown
If you want to read something that will move you to tears (and why wouldn't you?) check out the book "Forever War." A parable about futility.
Joe Haldeman, right?

I think I have a copy, but I've never read it... (I really should.)
Old 09-15-19, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by William Fuld
Funny that he got banned with 4,999 posts. Just needed one more...
Old 09-15-19, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by William Fuld
As in somebody who writes in a style of a naive teenager talking?

Old 09-15-19, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by cowtown
For anyone who strives to find deeper meaning in Science Fiction, you could do worse than Starship Troopers, though the book is very different from the movie. Both great in their own way.

The more TV I watch lately, the more I appreciate the written word. That's not to say I don't enjoy the great shows we have these days, there's just room for both....
I've always found most scifi stuff on tv and movies, ends up being a huge disappointment. I recently went on a long rant about this in the killjoys thread, in regard to tv on bluray shows turning to shit.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/62...-thread-5.html

I don't read as many scifi books as I use to. Though I do agree scifi was frequently a better read, than watching it on tv. (Even when the "science" is questionable in hindsight, such as the premises underlying Asimov's Foundation).
Old 09-15-19, 12:22 PM

Crap if I knew this was on tonight I def would have watched it.
Yeah you missed it by 18 years, but I'm sure your local video store would have it on tape if you need it.

Though I do agree scifi was frequently a better read, than watching it on tv. (Even when the "science" is questionable in hindsight, such as the premises underlying Asimov's Foundation).
I'm with you there on the funky science. The Expanse does this too with Epstein Drives and drug cocktails that allow living in 0 gravity, but is still a pretty great show...even better than the books IMO, but I don't feel the books are as great as most people seem to. I'm consistently blown away by the technical quality of TV shows these days.

I'm excited/cringing to see how Amazon does with Consider Phlebas. Iain Banks is one of my favorites, and the news that some of his stuff will finally be on the screen is awesome, but I'm not sure how they're going to translate it over.... People said the same thing about GOT so maybe it will be spectacular.