Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E07) - “Choice” - 7/09/24

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-09-24, 07:49 AM

Received 880 Likes on 577 Posts

Star Wars: The Acolyte - “Choice" (Season 1, Episode 7; Runtime: 43 minutes)
Writers: Charmaine DeGraté, Jen Richards, and Jasmyne Flournoy
Director: Kogonada
Description: A bitter truth is revealed.
Two more eps to go… and this ep should answer the age old question: “What really happened on Brendok?”

Season One Threads:
Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E01 & E02) - “Lost / Found” & “Revenge / Justice”- 6/4/24
Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E03) - “Destiny” - 6/11/24
Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E04) - “Day” - 6/18/24
Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E05) - “Night” - 6/24/24
Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E06) - “Teach / Corrupt” - 7/02/24
Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E08) - “Episode 8” - 7/16/24

Last edited by Goldberg74; 07-09-24 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-09-24, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,687 Likes on 4,564 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E07) - “Accept / Honesty” - 7/09/24

Episode title is actually “Choice”
The following users liked this post:
Goldberg74 (07-09-24)
Old 07-09-24, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

So is the witches' ability to turn into the smoke monster from Lost something from the cartoons or is it something new to Star Wars?
Old 07-09-24, 10:09 PM

Well that episode did provide some explanations to what happened 16 years earlier. But I’m still pretty confused.
At least I finally got to see some
Spoiler:
Jedi Wookiee combat. But I’m still pretty confused by that. I guess the witches were controlling him somehow?

Old 07-09-24, 11:10 PM

Re: Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E07) - “Choice” - 7/09/24

I “shazamed” the end credits track that was playing. Hmmm.

That episode was interesting, to say the least. Nice to know what happened.

Next week’s finale has a lot to accomplish.
Old 07-09-24, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Episode title is actually “Choice”
Thanks. Epguides had it listed as something else when I checked this morning.
Old 07-10-24, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts

Oy vey, where to begin? This is one of the most poorly constructed "mysteries" I've ever seen - period. Thematically, the show is a wishy-washy mess. The most egregious thing the Jedi did was hot-wire their way into the compound doors, so there was no need for such an intense cover-up with the Jedi Council. They acted with good intention (to prevent a possible ritual sacrifice) and had no cause to remove the twins against their will.

Everything else that happened was reactionary - from the moronic twink Jedi impulsively rushing to end the mission because he couldn't bear another day of wandering the forest with a metal detector, to Mae "accidentally" blowing up the whole compound with a tiny lantern. Seriously, I can't believe that was the actual catalyst - unless wookiee Jedi was planting explosives off-screen?

I can't even call what Sol did murder, since he was only impaling a puff of smoke at that point. Even then, it would likely be deemed self-defense. I noticed he again mistakes Mae for Osha in this scene, showing Sol never really could tell them apart. I know they explained the twins had identical symbionts (basically the same conciousness), but it makes his firm belief that only Osha was meant to be his Padawan even more confusing. I also noticed the writers purposely avoided saying midi-chlorian (because fans just LOVED that concept), instead referring to it as "M-Count". Cowards.

Do I assume correctly that Indara breaking "the power of many" hold on Kelnacca's mind was enough to make the witch cult just drop dead in unison? Convenient. Honestly, how the hell did they manage to make the whole situation even less clear after having us sit through yet another flashback episode that was obviously intended to fill in the blanks? Torbin may be an idiot, but nothing he did warranted spending years in repentance meditation and downing poison rather that telling the council what actually occurred.

Unless I missed her death, I assume Mother Koril will be back next week as the final boss. Oh, and playing a crappy R&B synth song over the end credits just added insult to injury. It's an out of place and embarrassing new low point for the franchise. More like something you'd hear while on hold with tech support.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-12-24 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-10-24, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I feel if someone did a fan edit of this they would want have to wait until episode seven to reveal all of this. It didn't even need to be a mystery.
Old 07-10-24, 03:02 AM

Like the Obi Wan series, I am firmly in the “this should have been a tightly edited 2.5 hour movie” camp.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 07-10-24 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-10-24, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,963 Likes on 2,025 Posts

This was the dumbest fucking thing since The Last Jedi.

The motivations of the characters are arbitrary and random, and other things like the fire just don't make a lick of sense. Mae lights a book on fire with a lantern in a metal reinforced cave and five minutes later the fucking mountain explodes? And Sol is hiding behind a tree, sees a little girl, and decides he's destined to be her master? I'd say that makes Sol into some kind of predator, but I just feel sorry for the actor and character because the writing is just so terrible. And are we supposed to sympathize with the witches, because they just come off assome kind of creepy cult that hides away from the outside world and brainwashes children.And it's like they've been goading the Jedi to attack them in self defense since they arrived.

This whole series just reeks of being written by a committee and corporate fiat, like it's a bunch of parts of various drafts cobbled together without any thought after a bunch of memos from "above" telling them to take this out and do this and do that and don't do that and why doesn't [x] do [y].

Like when Harlan Ellison was giving his pitch for Star Trek The Motion Picture to a Paramount exec, or Jon Peters wanting Kevin Smith to write polar bears and a giant spider into his Superman Lives script.

And they end with a fucking pop song? Dafuq?

Old 07-10-24, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,963 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
So is the witches' ability to turn into the smoke monster from Lost something from the cartoons or is it something new to Star Wars?
It think it's new. Keeps in the Disney tradition where each new project requires Force-creep, where the Force can be used to do more and more things.

The smoke monster powers seem similar to stuff we saw the Nightsisters do in Clone Wars, but there I think they could just cast illusions and control some kind of green mist, but I don't recall them actually turning into it. (I could be wrong, though.)
Old 07-10-24, 06:26 AM

Received 4,813 Likes on 3,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Like the Obi Wan series, I am firmly in the “this should have been a tightly edited 2.5 hour movie” camp.
That has been the case with most all Star Wars and Marvel shows. They are basically long movies broken up... not episodic television episodes.

I'm confused by this. What was even the point of showing the flashback in Episode 3?
Old 07-10-24, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by windom
Maybe it has something to do with that giant hole the coven was worshiping? I doubt the show will elaborate, since it's unlikely the story will continue (outside of a comic or novel three people will read) past next week anyway.
Old 07-10-24, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Mae lights a book on fire with a lantern in a metal reinforced cave and five minutes later the fucking mountain explodes?
She was standing next to a panel of electronics. My guess is the fire moved into the electronics built into the walls and spread throughout the cave as a chain reaction via that interconnected infrastructure.
The following 2 users liked this post by GuessWho:
Abob Teff (07-10-24), Goldberg74 (07-10-24)
Old 07-10-24, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 823 Likes on 593 Posts

So Mae and Osha aren't really twins, just a single entity split into two. At least they have a high midichlorian count like Anakin did, but it doesn't explain how they came into being.
Old 07-10-24, 09:40 AM

Star Wars Theory brought this up in his reaction to Episode 7: “Why did Sol use the Force to hold steady the parts of a bridge that weighed hundreds of pounds when he should have used the Force to pick up the two 50 pound girls and bring them to him?”
The following 3 users liked this post by Goldberg74:
Abob Teff (07-10-24), tanman (07-16-24), whotony (07-18-24)
Old 07-10-24, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
So Mae and Osha aren't really twins, just a single entity split into two. At least they have a high midichlorian count like Anakin did, but it doesn't explain how they came into being.
As opposed to Anakin?
Old 07-10-24, 10:13 AM

I know the actor who plays Sol is a badass, and the fact that he learned his lines phonetically in English is impressive. But his performance is really stiff and awkward. He's been asked to do too much. It just doesn't work.
Old 07-10-24, 10:52 AM

Received 4,813 Likes on 3,258 Posts

I know the actor who plays Sol is a badass, and the fact that he learned his lines phonetically in English is impressive. But his performance is really stiff and awkward. He's been asked to do too much. It just doesn't work.
I've been wondering if he even understands the lines being said to him by other actors in the scene because sometimes his reaction, or lack there of, just seems off.
Old 07-10-24, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,071 Likes on 768 Posts

Wait, really? It's like Quagmire in Candy Quahog Marshmallow episode.
Old 07-10-24, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,084 Likes on 668 Posts

I agree with all the complaints above. Another thing that isn't really explained well is why young Osha wants so strongly to be a Jedi in the first place, unless it's just the Force compelling her in some way, but there's no indication of that shown to us, is there? Presumably the witches that raised her have not spoken favorably about the Jedi to her, and this would be her first exposure to Jedi, and she's all "Yep, I want to be one of you guys. Take me away."

Sol confusing young Mae and Osha is funny since the actresses don't look that much alike. Was that scripted to try to sell us on them being identical?
Old 07-10-24, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The motivations of the characters are arbitrary and random, and other things like the fire just don't make a lick of sense. Mae lights a book on fire with a lantern in a metal reinforced cave and five minutes later the fucking mountain explodes? And Sol is hiding behind a tree, sees a little girl, and decides he's destined to be her master? I'd say that makes Sol into some kind of predator, but I just feel sorry for the actor and character because the writing is just so terrible. And are we supposed to sympathize with the witches, because they just come off assome kind of creepy cult that hides away from the outside world and brainwashes children.And it's like they've been goading the Jedi to attack them in self defense since they arrived.

This whole series just reeks of being written by a committee and corporate fiat, like it's a bunch of parts of various drafts cobbled together without any thought after a bunch of memos from "above" telling them to take this out and do this and do that and don't do that and why doesn't [x] do [y].

Like when Harlan Ellison was giving his pitch for Star Trek The Motion Picture to a Paramount exec, or Jon Peters wanting Kevin Smith to write polar bears and a giant spider into his Superman Lives script.
I don't have the hate for this show that many on the net have, but I think you nailed the overall issue with this show. I would add all the money they have spent on this production and it looks/feels like a 90s sci-fi production.
Abob Teff (07-10-24)
Old 07-10-24, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 823 Likes on 593 Posts

As opposed to Anakin?
But the witches seem to have some secret to how the two were made. Anakin may have been an immaculate conception, unless Shmi was also a night sister witch and just wished him into existence.
Old 07-10-24, 12:23 PM

It honestly kind of works for me. If anything, I think Sol shows too much emotion for a Jedi of this era - with the rest of them mostly being stone-faced and monotone.

As for the actor being a badass, I read that there were a couple assault charges (one where a woman was reportedly hospitalized) against him in the late 90s - as well as an interview from a decade ago where he apparently mentioned telling a deceased gay friend "Haven't you been that way enough?" and referring to their homosexuality as an "inconvenience".

That stuff seems to have mostly been swept under the rug by the progressive entertainment media - though it is ironic to see him working under a "woke" lesbian showrunner (who could possibly have a few skeletons in her own closet, being Harvey Weinstein's former personal assistant and all).

Last edited by joe_b; 07-11-24 at 10:46 AM.
whotony (07-18-24)
Old 07-10-24, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 423 Likes on 334 Posts

The guy playing Sol has done an admirable job - especially considering he learned English for the part. That said, they couldn't have found someone else? Anyone else to fill that role? Andrew Koji, from Warrior, could have been an excellent Sol considering his English, his acting chops and his martial arts skills.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.