Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E06) - “Teach / Corrupt” - 7/02/24

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E06) - “Teach / Corrupt” - 7/02/24

Old 07-06-24, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 743 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E06) - “Teach / Corrupt” - 7/02/24

Originally Posted by joe_b
Is that what happened? I just assumed the gopher finally informed him offscreen.
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
That or he realized that the bit droid was on a generic base and not the decorative one Osha had.
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
While I enjoy shows and movies that make you think and can have different interpretations, ones that simply have you guessing due to poor writing are not that.
This is an excellent simple example of that. In an 8 episode series they let this charade go on for the entire episode to ultimately lead nowhere. And the directing and writing is so poor that we don't really know how he finally knew. There was not character development. No intrigue. No tension. No questioning if Sol really knows but he's not letting Mae know? Is he playing her? Or is Mae playing Sol? Nothing. It's all a big nothing burger. They could have made it an incredibly tense episode. But nope they took the easy but confusing route. And left it to the beaver. But then didn't even have the beaver standing there with Sol at the end when he stunned her paying off the whole subplot of the beaver's quest to let Sol know. It's like the ideas are right there but the execution is just a jumbled mess.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (07-07-24)
Old 07-07-24, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

This guy probably does the best and most accurate analysis of modern Star Wars. Doesn't have any agenda, just calls it as he sees it.

​​​​​​
Old 07-08-24, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,056 Posts

I gotta disagree with some of these takes. There’s a lot of subtext in the older stuff that was never explicitly said onscreen and well before the internet existed. We had to figure it out just talking with other fans or reading it in movie magazines.

It’s not a plot hole just because they don’t say it out loud.
Old 07-09-24, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,330 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I gotta disagree with some of these takes. There’s a lot of subtext in the older stuff that was never explicitly said onscreen and well before the internet existed. We had to figure it out just talking with other fans or reading it in movie magazines.

It’s not a plot hole just because they don’t say it out loud.
I can absolutely agree with that. Let me add a litmus test for checking that, though . . .

Does the absence of more information make me curious about this world and leave me asking "What was the Clone War? Why did Obi Wan's padawan turn on him? How did the Jedi Order work when it was at its prime?"
OR
Does the absence of more information contradict what we know and leave me asking "What is happening? Why did they do that? How does a rock cave burn down?"
Old 07-09-24, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,056 Posts

A rock cave burns down the same way a rock castle would burn: all the flammable materials inside catch fire.

Old 07-09-24, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 945 Likes on 667 Posts

Both antagonists are written as calculated murderers right out of We Need to Talk About Kevin - but it seems we're expected to sympathize with them because they're commited to their ideologies, vulnerably expose their loneliness to the main heroine... and look good with their shirts (and everything else) off?.
Exactly!

Spoiler:

Old 07-10-24, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts

^ I get it, but we're never meant to sympathize with OT Darth Vader in a romantic bad boy way... and Padmé went from disbelief to repulsion when the truth of Anakin's actions became clear (though the Tusken child slaughtering might have been a clue that he wasn't marriage material).
Abob Teff (07-10-24)
Old 07-10-24, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts

^ I get it, but we're never meant to sympathize with OT Darth Vader in a romantic bad boy way... and Padmé went from disbelief to repulsion when the truth of Anakin's actions became clear (though the Tusken child slaughtering might have been a clue that he wasn't marriage material).
But we kind of are, though. By the time the PT rolled around, Lucas got it in his head that the Star Wars saga was the "tragedy of Anakin Skywalker" of something, and Darth Vader became the face of the franchise.

Which, I suppose could have been an interesting idea, but Anakin is just never a sympathetic character, at least after he hit puberty. He's entitled. He's kind of creepy. He kills a bunch of sand people, even the children. He's jealous and possessive. He turns on the Jedi for vague reasons. He hacks apart a dozen kids. Then he chokes his pregnant wife. He's just a... fucking asshole.

There are some interesting ideas in there, like the conversation he has with Padme about democracy, where he sort of tells her there should be dictatorship to force the people to agree, and that a democracy willingly becomes a dictatorship to thunderous applause are quite interesting. I know people hate on the focus on politics in the PT, but it seems like the most interesting, developed part of it.
tanman (07-16-24)
Old 07-10-24, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,330 Likes on 906 Posts

The key to Joe's statement is the "romantic bad boy way."

His helmet removal in ROTJ is meant to make us sympathize with him. Maybe I'm just an asshole though. I do NOT want redemption for a mass murdering, genocidal, power hungry, dictator, colonizer. I don't care how cute you think he was as a kid or if he was recruited by the creepy old man next door.. Some shit you just don't come back from, especially when you are painting your universe as the story of good vs. evil and dark vs. light.
joe_b (07-11-24)
Old 07-10-24, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 945 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
But we kind of are, though. By the time the PT rolled around, Lucas got it in his head that the Star Wars saga was the "tragedy of Anakin Skywalker" of something, and Darth Vader became the face of the franchise.
Exactly. The goal posts were are always moving. Even sympathizing enough to go along with Luke convincing Vader to return to the light in ROTJ (before there was a PT), was a big ask of the audience. He's a murderer through and through and stood by while Tarkin killed untold billions. Then you add in the Prequels (murdering children? Choking Padme? et al) and Clone Wars content and Anakin is not redeemable. So to say the Saga is Anakin's story is disingenuous.