Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E05) - “Night” - 6/24/24

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-25-24, 07:57 AM

Received 880 Likes on 577 Posts

Star Wars: The Acolyte - "Night" (Season 1, Episode 5; Runtime: 34 minutes)
Writers: Kor Adana and Cameron Squires
Director: Alex Garcia Lopez
Description:
Spoiler:
In a dense jungle, the Jedi are put to the test when they confront a rising darkness.
If the episode starts with “Smile-o Ren” disappearing into thin air, I’m going to be miffed. We better get a good battle.

Season One Threads:
Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E01 & E02) - “Lost / Found” & “Revenge / Justice”- 6/4/24
Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E03) - “Destiny” - 6/11/24
Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E04) - “Day” - 6/18/24
Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E06) - “Episode 6” - 7/02/24
Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E07) - “Episode 7” - 7/09/24
Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E08) - “Episode 8” - 7/16/24

Last edited by Goldberg74; 06-25-24 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-25-24, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,694 Likes on 4,568 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E05) - “Episode 5” - 6/24/24

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

If the episode starts with “Smile-o Ren” disappearing into thin air, I’m going to be miffed. We better get a good battle.
Maybe it will open with him being found dead, seated in a chair. Because that's what the fanbase really wants to see!
The following users liked this post:
Goldberg74 (06-25-24)
Old 06-25-24, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E05) - “Night” - 6/24/24

I wanted to give this a shot, but the writing is beyond terrible, and the sets are even worst. Only cool shit about tonight's episode was Jecki.
Dr. DVD (06-27-24)
Old 06-25-24, 08:40 PM

Well, I was right about the name of the episode being "Night" and was glad for all of the action... but we all saw the results of this coming from a mile away.

But seriously, we longed for a good lightsaber battle and they delivered on that... and...
Spoiler:
I was sad to see so many Jedi fall.
Jecki held her own against Mae and even against The Stranger/Qimir.
Poor Yord went out the hard way.
And that Jedi kabob that we got early on... that was cool.

We'd have to be idiots to not see where this is going now.

I'm going to call it now, the name of the next episode will be:
Spoiler:
The Parent Trap

Oh the hilarity that will ensue.

The following 2 users liked this post by Goldberg74:
Dr. DVD (06-27-24), Why So Blu? (06-26-24)
Old 06-25-24, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts

Certainly the best episode, although the bar could not be any lower. By no means would I call anything good about the lightsaber battles.. but they were vastly better than the dialogue and acting, so they sort of win by default. I will say I'm impressed by how bad the editing continues to be - there are certain dramatic points that are natural spots to cut away, but they just continue to cut right in the middle of the oddest moments, losing what precious little momentum they might've been building.

Three to go, I do continue to watch for two reasons (1) it's a low time commitment, and I've got the baseball game on as well. And (2) I do believe in having an informed opinion, I make a point to read full articles, watch full interviews and watch a full show so I can take part in the conversation later from an informed pov.

Edit: OMG RedLetterMedia already has their review up! I was going to say after the series was over I was so looking forward to their reaction, lol.

Last edited by Artman; 06-25-24 at 10:02 PM.
JoeySeven (06-28-24)
Old 06-25-24, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 190 Posts

The Red Wedding of Star Wars television
Michael Corvin (07-01-24)
Old 06-25-24, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,084 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Certainly the best episode, although the bar could not be any lower. By no means would I call anything good about the lightsaber battles.. but they were vastly better than the dialogue and acting, so they sort of win by default. I will say I'm impressed by how bad the editing continues to be - there are certain dramatic points that are natural spots to cut away, but they just continue to cut right in the middle of the oddest moments, losing what precious little momentum they might've been building.
I thought some of the lightsaber stuff was pretty good--though not among the best of SW by far--but I agree with the rest of your post. The Osha/Mae scenes were terribly written and, yeah, I think the editing of this show overall is very poorly done.

Sad to see the death of Jecki, but at least she put up a good fight.

Osha should not have stopped Sol from killing Qimir. Especially just to swap execution by lightsaber to "oh, I'll put this light on his back so the native bugs will attack and kill him." That's better how? (and obviously it didn't work)

Last edited by Cellar Door; 06-26-24 at 03:58 PM. Reason: got Osha and Mae confused
JoeySeven (06-28-24)
Old 06-26-24, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts

When we see Osha waking up from being knocked unconcious at the beginning, I was sure the fight was already over and the writers had just skipped over it entirely. I almost turned the show off in frustration.

The one idea I sort of liked was having a character get killed by giant bugs that are attracted to light - but even this didn't fully pan out.

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Sad to see the death of Jecki, but at least she put up a good fight.
We barely spent any time with her, which is a shame because Dafne Keen is a decent actress and showed a fierce fighting style before being taken out a few seconds later. Wish there had been more character development there. The master reveal was predictable (though I doubt he's the final boss) and has little impact for the audience because we still don't really know this character.

Watching Stenberg act out a scene opposite herself only further illustrated how unsuccessful this show has been in making the sisters feel like unique individuals. People bitched about their similar hairstyles, but now we know why. As soon as Mae ignited the lightsaber, I knew she was trimming her locs and we were in for a cliché twin switcheroo story. I guess we'll just forget the characters didn't look identical at all as kids, since this identity theft is likely necessary for Sol to be killed without a weapon (something the writers have heavily telegraphed already).

Even at their worst, I never thought a Star Wars project would be compared to a CW network show - in look, acting and writing. This series reportedly had a budget on par with Dune: Part Two (which likely shot a comparible amount of footage before being edited down) yet you'd never guess that because so much here feels small and looks stagebound. They've taken many of the issues I had with the Kenobi series (that at least benifited from shooting on the Volume) and amplified them.

Last edited by joe_b; 06-27-24 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-26-24, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts

The whole series should've focused on discount Ezra Miller and Sol.

That duel was pretty badass.
Old 06-26-24, 07:39 AM

Whodathunk this series would hinge itself on a pocket droid and an otter (who can clearly sniff out that Mae replaced Osha).

🧐
Old 06-26-24, 12:50 PM

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts

Sometimes I think some of ya'll just want to complain to complain, lol. Aside from Empire, Star Wars has hardly featured award-winning storytelling/dialogue.

I thought the saber fights were really well done and Jecki's death was pretty brutal. I wonder what Osha's plan is now. Kill Sol and spend the rest of her days in hiding. I do like that the grand plan is pretty simple, he just wants freedom to be what he is. This keeps looping back to Yoda in Phantom on the arrogance of the Jedi to not be able to see things coming. I've enjoyed the series as a whole, it's not perfect, but it's pretty interesting to explore this era.
The following 3 users liked this post by SmackDaddy:
Cusm (06-27-24), JeremyM (06-26-24), tanman (07-06-24)
Old 06-26-24, 03:06 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,015 Likes on 849 Posts

the Sith guy is wearing the mask of the gimp from Pulp Fiction.
Old 06-26-24, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 825 Likes on 594 Posts

Whodathunk this series would hinge itself on a pocket droid and an otter (who can clearly sniff out that Mae replaced Osha).

🧐
Like shouldn't Sol be able to tell the difference? He, of all people, should be able to distinguish his former padawan. And he seemed to act out rather un-Jedi like, using his rage to fuel his fights. I guess we'll see what his dark side is in the coming episodes.

So the Sith's (or whatever his name is) helmet is made of beskar? You'd think he'd have full armor if that's the case?
Old 06-26-24, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,284 Likes on 989 Posts

Old 06-26-24, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
So the Sith's (or whatever his name is) helmet is made of beskar?
Nope. It's Cortosis armor -- it is lightsaber resistant and temporarily short circuits sabers, hence the sparking

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...Id2cKOT_glZZAE
devilshalo (06-26-24)
Old 06-26-24, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Like shouldn't Sol be able to tell the difference? He, of all people, should be able to distinguish his former padawan. And he seemed to act out rather un-Jedi like, using his rage to fuel his fights. I guess we'll see what his dark side is in the coming episodes.
In their defense, there's a tradition of this when it comes to Star Wars, where the Force can do this, but not that, and it's often random and plot dependent. Like Darth Vader can't tell Leia is his daughter while he's torturing her, how the Jedi couldn't get any Sith vibes off of Palpatine at all, but Kenobi can feel Alderaan being destroyed and Anakin and Obi-Wan could feel the assassination attempt on Padme while she slept.

The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
Cusm (06-27-24), Why So Blu? (06-26-24)
Old 06-26-24, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
the Sith guy is wearing the mask of the gimp from Pulp Fiction.
Darth Gimp has a nice ring to it.
Darth Tenebrous: Bring out the Gimp...
Old 06-26-24, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Sometimes I think some of ya'll just want to complain to complain, lol. Aside from Empire, Star Wars has hardly featured award-winning storytelling/dialogue.
Cool if people enjoy it, but there's no reason to settle for mediocrity because the franchise has now produced more clunkers than classics. This show isn't quit as stupid as Rise of Skywalker, but with the money and talent at Disney's disposal (not to mention a four year development window) they can and should be making more compelling stuff than this. That's the reason the brand is struggling, no matter how Lucasfilm tries to spin it.

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Nope. It's Cortosis armor -- it is lightsaber resistant and temporarily short circuits sabers, hence the sparking
It also works just like Magneto's helmet. Who knew sensing someone's mind through the Force could be blocked by precious metals?

Last edited by joe_b; 06-26-24 at 07:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by joe_b:
Abob Teff (06-26-24), Rob V (06-27-24)
Old 06-26-24, 07:23 PM

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Cool if people enjoy it, but there's no reason to settle for mediocrity because the franchise has now produced more clunkers than classics. This show isn't quit as stupid as Rise of Skywalker, but with the money and talent at Disney's disposal (not to mention a four year development window) they can and should be making more compelling stuff than this. That's the reason the brand is struggling, no matter how Lucasfilm tries to spin it.

It also works just like Magneto's helmet. Who knew sensing someone's mind through the Force could be blocked by precious metals?
Mediocrity compared to what? Yeah, "everyone" hates the sequels, but the prequels (100% Lucas) weren't exactly loved by any means and had some of the worst dialog and convoluted plotting in all of Star Wars, lol. I think the complaints of it looking like a "CW" show lead me to believe ya'll have been watching something different. It's not any worse/better than the shows that rely almost exclusively on the Volume. What do you want to see? Andor was some of the best Star Wars, IMO and people still complained. No matter what Disney does there will be a segment that just won't like it, not saying that's you, but as a whole there is an army of "fans" who just want to complain because it's not the exactly what they want.

As far as the helmet, some other discussions I've read note that the material does not stop Jedi from sensing/reading someone. But who knows, Jedi could never heal someone until they could, lol.
Old 06-26-24, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Damn, Yord and Jecki in the same episode? They were two of my favorite characters on the show. I know this show isn't high quality, but this episode did up the game. Best one so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by JTH182:
Abob Teff (06-27-24), Goldberg74 (06-26-24)
Old 06-26-24, 08:49 PM

Mediocrity compared to what? Yeah, "everyone" hates the sequels, but the prequels (100% Lucas) weren't exactly loved by any means and had some of the worst dialog and convoluted plotting in all of Star Wars, lol.
Compared not just to the best Star Wars has to offer (the original trilogy, Rogue One), but also current acclaimed genre fare like House of the Dragon and Fallout. They can't all be winners, but nothing about this show is lighting the critical and fandom scenes on fire because the mystery and plotting isn't super compelling. While the acting here isn't quit as stiff as the prequel trilogy, the plot is also fairly convoluted. The reason I prefer the prequels to something like this is at least there were clearer objectives (fall of democracy and rise of a dictatorship) that Lucas was putting across.

And yeah, the dialogue here can be completely nonsensical: "If you attack a Jedi with a weapon, you will fail. Steel or a laser are no threat to them." Oh, really? Tell that to Jedi Trinity and the wookiee. Or how about: "A Jedi doesn't pull her weapon unless prepared to kill." So not even to deflect blaster fire? Or if you're like Yord, you mostly use it as a flashlight.

I think the complaints of it looking like a "CW" show lead me to believe ya'll have been watching something different. It's not any worse/better than the shows that rely almost exclusively on the Volume. What do you want to see?
More scope to the Jedi temple? Or maybe opening up Coruscant to the level The Phantom Menace achieved a quarter century ago. Even something as simple as making it feel like they shot in an actual jungle instead of on a sound stage. If a Jumanji sequel with Kevin Hart can pull that off convincingly, why not a Star Wars project? It's a logistical reason because they shot in London and likely got a nice tax incentive, but it was always clear they were in a studio.

As far as the helmet, some other discussions I've read note that the material does not stop Jedi from sensing/reading someone. But who knows, Jedi could never heal someone until they could, lol.
We can only go off what was said, though Sol did mention he sensed something familiar.
"Show your face."
"And let you read my thoughts? No. No. No."

Last edited by joe_b; 06-26-24 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-26-24, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,330 Likes on 906 Posts

The Acolyte Episode 5: Better Call Sol

Synopsis: Echoes of Sol's secretive past in Albuquerque continue to ripple throughout the present. A recent clearance sale on red shirts does not pan out well for the CSI: Jedi landing party. More twinanigans ensue. (Guest star of the week: Weasel from The Suicide Squad.)
The following 2 users liked this post by Abob Teff:
Goldberg74 (06-26-24), tanman (07-06-24)
Old 06-27-24, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 769 Posts

So the Sith's (or whatever his name is) helmet is made of beskar? You'd think he'd have full armor if that's the case?
That was my first reaction as well. Sol can't identify life on the planet (the big bugs) or tell that his former student is the wrong twin. He has to be the worst Jedi master ever.
Old 06-27-24, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

After this one I'm on the fence about wither letting the last three build so I can binge watch, or just hate watching. The saber action was good, won't deny that part. But everything else really stretched the limits of believability, even for Star Wars. I am guessing Sol can't sense someone is not his old padawan and that Mae will be careful to not reveal that big a$$ tattoo on her forehead? Not to mention Mae seemed to change up her plan of surrendering about five times in three minutes. Discount Ezra Miller as the "sith" was so obvious I can only guess we were supposed to know a las Sidious=Palpatine from back in the PT days. I do remember many denying that rumor despite GL making it pretty apparent in one of the last shots of TPM.
Old 06-27-24, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,330 Likes on 906 Posts

Posted in the previous thread without knowing how the joke would play out . . . The Power of One! The Power of Two! The Power of Darth Manny!

Any one want to wager on the next three episodes being a courtroom drama? The Acolyte Episode 6: Law/Order

I am curious about the making of story behind this show. I think Headland has some great ideas, but the execution has been awful to mediocre at best. The really good ideas are hinted at and tossed aside in lieu of more YA storytelling and lazy ass writing on a few episodes. Was this her vision? Or was there tampering that tainted it?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.