Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E01 & E02) - “Lost / Found” & “Revenge / Justice”- 6/4/24

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E01 & E02) - “Lost / Found” & “Revenge / Justice”- 6/4/24

Old 06-07-24, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,229 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E01 & E02) - “Lost / Found” & “Revenge / Justice”- 6/4/24

Old 06-07-24, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E01 & E02) - “Lost / Found” & “Revenge / Justice”- 6/4/24

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Negative reviews bring in the views.

. That's it. I think you've cracked it.

Other than the shit finale, I loved Ahsoka while the content creators pretty much shit on it and that's probably because they slept on Clone Wars.

Rogue One was amazing film with a large ensemble (diversified) cast and yet there was zero hype around that. You had a MEXICAN and woman as the leads and not a peep about it when that film premiered. Same for Andor, which is probably the best live-action content D+ has produced so far. Zero hype around that.

Is the SW hate justified... idk?
  • Mando S3 was complete shit.
  • Obi-wan was dogshit... although the film recut by Kai Patterson is canon for me.
  • Boba Fett was horseshit.
  • The Sequel Trilogy gave us Ben Solo and then shit on him, Luke Skywalker and Finn. Then they recycled ideas/content from the original expanded-universe novels. Honestly, the Sequel Trilogy should've focused on Ahsoka and the Ghost crew.
  • The Galactic Starcruiser hotel gave fans the finger and is now closed.
I am not exactly referring to SW specifically more like the US in general, and actually agree with most of your above assessments. People have always had somewhat divisive opinions since TPM, but it just seems to me that TLJ is the movie that opened up the floodgates, and by that point a certain individual had been in office long enough to make certain people feel more comfortable in releasing toxicity.
Old 06-07-24, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,813 Likes on 2,734 Posts

I mean for this show, you have an LGBTQ lead actor and showrunner. So those people with an agenda say, oh it’s just more “Woke” agenda stuff from Disney. And they probably never even clicked play.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (06-09-24)
Old 06-10-24, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Hmm, unfortunately, found the 2 episode premiere quite boring.

The main characters all seem like fan film low budget characters.

Fight choreography was ok, except for the slow motion sequence. Hate slow motion fights. But at least it was brief.

The Olega padawan is trying to gain intel (with his binoculars) across the street in plain view Like 20 yards away!

Director is a fan of The Fugitive? Classic scene recreated at the cliff edge.

never thought about it that way, but that could be true
Also found it boring for the majority of the first two episodes

4.4 on IMDB.
I did not care for the last sequel trilogy, but I still watch almost everything SW that is not a long-ass cartoon.
Did enjoy Ahsoka, but some parts were confusing. I have not finished watching Rebels and Clone Wars yet..

Did not like they showed so much of two major fights in the trailer and the special preview after AOTC in theaters that happened in the first 2 episodes.
Spoiler:
They killed off Master Trinity way too fast. I know she shows up in flashbacks, but still.

Not sure how I feel about daggers vs. lightsabers. The writing is kind of blah, but I will continue to watch and see if it gets better with a different director.
But I have a bad feeling this series is going to have more lows than high parts.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 06-10-24 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-10-24, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,229 Likes on 946 Posts

There was an article in Deadline where they posted how fans are upset about the physics of the show. The fire that was put on the ship and whatnot. Yet fans of SW have no problem with laser blasts or sonic thrusters making sound in that same vacuum of space.
Old 06-11-24, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 321 Posts

I've found the show to be fine so far. I did cringe when the master Jedi took poison after being in a zen trance for a decade. That made no sense...but I've come to accept the nonsense with Disney Star Wars.
Old 06-11-24, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I mean for this show, you have an LGBTQ lead actor and showrunner. So those people with an agenda say, oh it’s just more “Woke” agenda stuff from Disney. And they probably never even clicked play.
Same shit was said about X-men '97 and yet that series absolutely killed it.

Beau Demayo, the showrunner is Gay and had an onlyfans.

They also made character non-binary and some how turn said character into the ultimate-cameo-badass.

Why did it do so well?
  • Great Writing
  • Amazing fucking characters and voice cast.
Old 06-11-24, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 321 Posts

When I was a kid and watched Empire Strikes Back, I didn't care who Luke, Lando, Han or Leia fucked. Still don't. I feel like Star Wars is a show that doesn't need sexual orientation to be a plot device that moves ANY portion of the plot along... especially when the plot is kinda iffy already.
Old 06-11-24, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
When I was a kid and watched Empire Strikes Back, I didn't care who Luke, Lando, Han or Leia fucked. Still don't. I feel like Star Wars is a show that doesn't need sexual orientation to be a plot device that moves ANY portion of the plot along... especially when the plot is kinda iffy already.
Same.

It would be like trying to insert a massive sex scene in the middle of Predator or Aliens.

I just want to be entertained with :
  • Great Writing
  • Amazing fucking characters
Old 06-11-24, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Same.

It would be like trying to insert a massive sex scene in the middle of Predator or Aliens.

I just want to be entertained with :
  • Great Writing
  • Amazing fucking characters
And this show does not cover those 2.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapasu:
Abob Teff (06-14-24), JoeySeven (06-12-24)
Old 06-11-24, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,202 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
The casual love triangle was a lot of fun in the first two until Lucas ruined it with his ridiculous sibling storyline.

And yes, on the monkey bars and on the tire swings, we had rabid discussions as kids about whether Han or Luke was going to win Leia's heart and marry her. When we played Star Wars, the girl got to play Leia would get to pick who she wanted as Han or Luke. It was a quick way to know who she fancied!

The big rumor on the playground was Yoda's, "There is another", statement was going to be Luke and Leia's kid long before ROTJ came out.

So, we didn't know about "fucking", but we definitely recognized the possible love stories going on. And I, and my fellow classmates, were 7 in 1980 when Empire was released.
Old 06-11-24, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

No episode 3 thread? Maybe it’s for the best. I stopped watching episode 3 after 15 minutes. I can’t believe this, but I might stop watching a Star Wars live action show. Not sure if I want to resume watching yet.

This show is TERRIBLE.
Old 06-11-24, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

Where is the discussion for episode 3?

Half through the episode and it may truly be the worst piece of disposable content yet, and that's saying something.

Last edited by Artman; 06-11-24 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-11-24, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

"Whatever's in your heart, you must say the opposite." Saying that to a child?

Edit: Seriously? This tells you everything folks. Sad to see...

Last edited by Artman; 06-11-24 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-11-24, 11:49 PM

Received 834 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman

Half through the episode and it may truly be the worst piece of disposable content yet, and that's saying something.
Here you go.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/65...6-11-24-a.html
Old 06-12-24, 06:28 AM

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,206 Posts

No episode 3 thread? Maybe it’s for the best.
Originally Posted by Artman
I never understand why instead of making a comment like this, people don't just make the thread.
Old 06-12-24, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 509 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I never understand why instead of making a comment like this, people don't just make the thread.
Especially to just complain about the episode.
The following users liked this post:
Cusm (06-13-24)
Old 06-12-24, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don’t create the new thread because I know some members enjoy starting the thread each week. They have a certain template / format that the first post is setup as. It may include a promo pic, a promo article, links to previous episode threads, etc.

So I just respect that and let the member start the thread.
Old 06-14-24, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 882 Posts

Director is a fan of The Fugitive? Classic scene recreated at the cliff edge.
I had the exact same thought, only it was the audience screaming "I DON'T CARE!"
The following 2 users liked this post by Abob Teff:
joe_b (06-14-24), MLBFan24 (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
My friends said the key to enjoying it is to look at it as more of something along the lines of Law and Order as opposed to Star Wars, and through that lense it actually works.
I was actually hoping for a good Star Wars mystery, but you made a more adequate comparison. Law and Order is not a good show. It is "mysteries" for people who want to feel smart and like soap operas. Don't get me wrong, it had its good runs, but it is a good match for this show. It is not a mystery when you beat the audience over the head with tired tropes and easily predicted cliches.
Old 06-14-24, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
There was an article in Deadline where they posted how fans are upset about the physics of the show. The fire that was put on the ship and whatnot. Yet fans of SW have no problem with laser blasts or sonic thrusters making sound in that same vacuum of space.
Coming back to this because I was watching a Youtube video that dropped this nugget: (Sorry, I laughed . . . )

Fire in The Acolyte doesn't need oxygen like it does in in other shows because it no longer has the patriarchy holding it back. You go Girl Fire!

Last edited by Abob Teff; 06-14-24 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-14-24, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just realized this is not even called Star Wars.

It’s officially just called “The Acolyte”.

Maybe that’s why it doesn’t feel like I’m watching a Star Wars product. It all makes sense now.
Old 06-15-24, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
If they had, they would have realized the show is not the "woke agenda" but a watered down kung fu movie.