Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E01 & E02) - “Lost / Found” & “Revenge / Justice”- 6/4/24

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E01 & E02) - “Lost / Found” & “Revenge / Justice”- 6/4/24

Old 06-05-24, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 411 Likes on 326 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E01 & E02) - “Lost / Found” & “Revenge / Justice”- 6/4/24

I have nothing good to say about Disney having an agenda. I get that it's business and they need to appeal to as many people as possible to maximize sharholder value. That said, if this show is good, I'll be happy regardless of the little barbs they throw out there... but the track record for their shows and especially movies is average or below, IMO. The Mandalorian S2 is about the best we've got so far with Andor being excellent but divisive. I think The Acolyte has promise because the child-centric show coming next doesn't appeal to me at all. I wish so much for an adult-themed SW movie or show... not sex but violence. More War in Star Wars.
Old 06-05-24, 10:56 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 988 Likes on 825 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Acolyte (S1E01 & E02) - “Lost / Found” & “Revenge / Justice”- 6/4/24

there was some really good action pieces in these two episodes and the assassin thing is so different than anything else the SW world has come up with. I thought the characters except for Osha/May were a little stiff. The young man Jedi and Sol were just not that interesting, but the similarities and differences were just enough to make this a very worthwhile show that I will stick with.
Old 06-05-24, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,746 Posts

I watched the first episode. Bummer they killed off Carrie-Ann Moss so soon, especially in the first act.

I wasn’t surprised by the twins angle. That fight sequence between May and Indara was actually shown as a sneak preview after The Phantom Menace re-release last month that I saw. But, they cut it off right as it ended.

I am a little surprised that Lee Jung-Jae (Sol) is able to act in English since he doesn’t speak a word in real life. Or at least in interviews he doesn’t speak any.

Old 06-05-24, 11:41 AM

Received 4,751 Likes on 3,218 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I am a little surprised that Lee Jung-Jae (Sol) is able to act in English since he doesn’t speak a word in real life. Or at least in interviews he doesn’t speak any.
He learned English specifically to take this role. I think he's doing pretty well considering.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
DJariya (06-05-24), VHS? (06-05-24)
Old 06-05-24, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,186 Likes on 923 Posts

I’m liking the Sol character. Was a bit worried they were going to kill him off right away too since he’s one of Mae’s targets.
Old 06-05-24, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
He learned English specifically to take this role. I think he's doing pretty well considering.
Agree. One review mentioned he delivered the lines phonetically, which stilted his performance - but I thought he did fine and emoted well enough when the scene called for it. The bald green Jedi (played by the showrunner's wife) gave the most wooden performance, imo - but that's in keeping with how most Jedi were portrayed in the prequels.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yord's boy-band hair was an odd choice
They gave him Killmonger hair, which has become a cliché in genre shows/comics/games at this point:

Last edited by joe_b; 06-05-24 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-05-24, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,186 Likes on 923 Posts

I actually thought Carrie-Ann Moss gave a worse performance. The opening with her seemed really forced and off kilter. That had me concerned for a bit. After her character gets killed off and we move on the show got better to me.
Old 06-05-24, 12:11 PM

^ Even her fight choreo came off stiff and overly rehearsed. I know it's supposed to be an homage to kung fu movies, but I heard someone mention that it looked unnatural because the shots seem to have been sped up in post.

Originally Posted by Rob V
I get that it's business and they need to appeal to as many people as possible to maximize sharholder value.
True... and they've clearly been doing it wrong for a while now. I've never seen a studio so negatively turn the tide of audience goodwill in such a short amount of time. Not just with Star Wars and Marvel, but all of Disney's recent output. The quality just isn't there.

Originally Posted by Rob V
the child-centric show coming next doesn't appeal to me at all.
I'm holding out faint hope for that, but a lot depends on casting. If they put a group of likeable kids together comparable to The Goonies or Stranger Things, they might have something. Adding Urkel to the cast (Jude who?) is also a plus.

Last edited by joe_b; 06-05-24 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-05-24, 12:18 PM

Received 845 Likes on 552 Posts

I’m gonna put this out there…
Spoiler:
… if Qimir (Manny Jacinto, who played Jason Mendoza from The Good Place) is really the big bad guy for show I’m gonna be impressed. 😉

Last edited by Goldberg74; 06-05-24 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-05-24, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 517 Likes on 361 Posts

Enjoyed both episodes. In for the series.
Old 06-05-24, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes. Looking forward to the whole story. From the trailer I had a feeling Carrie-Ann Moss would be killed. They should've May walking away with a lightsaber on the ground in the bar. June is going to be a good month for new shows.
Old 06-05-24, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

For the opening two episodes this didn't exactly come out swinging, nothing offensively bad but nothing remarkable either. I'm sure things will pick up but there just isn't any real energy or momentum so far.
Old 06-05-24, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Spoiler:
… if Qimir (Manny Jacinto, who played Jason Mendoza from The Good Place) is really the big bad guy for show I’m gonna be impressed. 😉

Yord is on my suspect list, which could explain why he stupidly put Osha on a prisoner transport ship instead of taking her in personally. He might have counted on the mutiny, which would distract the Jedi and buy Mae more time to finish off her hit list. Of course, something could have already happened on screen to debunk this theory - since my memory of it is already fading.

I believe Headland described the role of the acolyte as being in service to a Sith apprentice as they plot to overthrow their master... so the dollar store Darth Vader we glimpse at the end of the first episode might not even be the main baddie.

Last edited by joe_b; 06-05-24 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-05-24, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
When I first saw him I thought it was Ezra Miller

Wonder if Yoda shows up at the end
The following users liked this post:
Thos19 (06-06-24)
Old 06-05-24, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by VHS?
Spoiler:
When I first saw him I thought it was Ezra Miller
Me too. I had to do a double take.

Originally Posted by VHS?
Wonder if Yoda shows up at the end
I sure hope so, but he does pop up in the books very much so they might be very stingy with their use of him.
VHS? (06-05-24)
Old 06-05-24, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b
Yord is on my suspect list.
Good call.

There’s a theory going around that Yord might have been Ki-Adi-Mundi’s master… but his master was Yoda. I can see where people might be confused. 😉
Old 06-06-24, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I actually thought Carrie-Ann Moss gave a worse performance. The opening with her seemed really forced and off kilter. That had me concerned for a bit. After her character gets killed off and we move on the show got better to me.

Agree. I actually turned it off after the first ten minutes because that opening seemed like something out of a late 90s/early 2000s action movie. Then some friends whose opinions I trust said it was pretty good so I resumed and I am glad I did. I stopped after the first episode for now because I like to binge and it looks like this is a show where that would benefit. Just need to stay off the internet. The acting seemed a bit off at times, but not from the Squid Games guy, which is pretty impressive considering he learned English for this role.
My friends said the key to enjoying it is to look at it as more of something along the lines of Law and Order as opposed to Star Wars, and through that lense it actually works. My initial reaction was that it was good, not great, and didn't really feel like the Star Wars I'm used to seeing. But then I realized the time period in which it occurs and figured that was probably Headland's intention. Curious where she takes it. If the reason all of the haters are going nuts is due to
Spoiler:
force witches or something
, I really don't understand. They've been in the established canon for some time now, so it's not like the concept is out of the blue.
JeremyM (06-09-24)
Old 06-06-24, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

I enjoyed it overall, some things I wasn't wild about. The ONE thing that bothers me about Star Wars in general is how the force is so questionable. One scene a user can sense the entire universe, the next the can't sense the most evil being in the universe standing next to them, the series has used a lot of sloppiness writing the force. Saying that, I really disliked that someone trained as a Jedi now has no connection with the force, maybe this will get covered in a future episode. I did feel the low budget aspects mentioned earlier as well. Overall I enjoyed it and my complaints are minimal. I am afraid that a show featuring another female lead will just bring out the vocal haters more.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cusm:
Abob Teff (06-14-24), Dr. DVD (06-07-24)
Old 06-06-24, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,746 Posts

Acolyte has been review bombed on RT by the usual suspects. Can’t use that platform for viewer scores.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/st...he_acolyte/s01
Old 06-06-24, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
I enjoyed it overall, some things I wasn't wild about. The ONE thing that bothers me about Star Wars in general is how the force is so questionable. One scene a user can sense the entire universe, the next the can't sense the most evil being in the universe standing next to them, the series has used a lot of sloppiness writing the force. Saying that, I really disliked that someone trained as a Jedi now has no connection with the force, maybe this will get covered in a future episode. I did feel the low budget aspects mentioned earlier as well. Overall I enjoyed it and my complaints are minimal. I am afraid that a show featuring another female lead will just bring out the vocal haters more.
Yeah, that's been an issue for Star Wars for a long time.

There's a certain kind of "Force creep" going on where, with every new project, the Force gets more powerful and can do more things, but, at the same time, becomes more and more useless when they need to suppress it to move the plot along. And this even goes back to the OT.

It's like, in ANH, qe see some light telepathy (Jedi Mind trick), light telekinesis (Vader Force choking), and intuition (Kenobi feeling Alderaan being destroyed).

Then, in ESB, Yoda lifts an X-Wing out of the swamp, and Vader is able to send a bunch of junk flying around and Force choke a guy at a distance.

And in ROTJ, lightning shoots from the Emperor's fingers.

And then in the Prequels, Jedi are leaping through the air and using telekinesis to draw their lightsabers. And then there's the qhole "virgin birth" thing.

And then Mickey Mouse gets his paws on it, and it can be used to pull starships out of the sky, heal people from mortal injuries, and almost anyone can use it without training.

But all of that power and Vader still couldn't tell Leia was his daughter or the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy couldn't sense that they were sitting in the same room as a Sith Lord...
Cusm (06-07-24)
Old 06-06-24, 09:57 PM

In the High Republic era (notably Phase 2; 350-ish years pre-Rogue One) we learn how Jedha begins to fall after the attack of the Convocation of the Force (a gathering representatives from various Force-based religions, groups, and cultures) by an outside group with dark intentions led by a dark Force wielder.

So yes, there is a precedence set for groups of people to draw from the Force at different levels and through different means (including relics and artifacts).

And there is also a precedence set for Force users who willingly cut themselves off from the Force, then struggle to reconnect to it (like Osha). Remember that at the start of the Kenobi series, Obi-Wan had to shake off the rust before he could tap into it again at the level he had before.
Abob Teff (06-14-24)
Old 06-07-24, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
I am afraid that a show featuring another female lead will just bring out the vocal haters more.

Exactly. I feel a lot of the bombers and YouTube content creators had the outlines of their reviews written before they even saw a single minute of the episode. I'm not saying personal politics has anything to do with it, but I will say that it seems as though toxicity amongst fans has increased ever since TLJ and a certain individual got elected in 2016.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. DVD:
Cusm (06-07-24), JeremyM (06-09-24)
Old 06-07-24, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Acolyte has been review bombed on RT by the usual suspects. Can’t use that platform for viewer scores.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/st...he_acolyte/s01
I don't think anyone needs to use that platform when it comes to this series... period.

It's already been proven both sides can be manipulated.

Old 06-07-24, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I feel a lot of the bombers and YouTube content creators had the outlines of their reviews written before they even saw a single minute of the episode.
Same thing for the other side. Lucasfilm flew out a bunch of the social media influencers (all positive towards the company) in order to try and win the online reactions. A serious company that's confident in it's product doesn't do that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Artman:
bchbdaddy (06-08-24), candyrocket786 (06-07-24)
Old 06-07-24, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts

Exactly. I feel a lot of the bombers and YouTube content creators had the outlines of their reviews written before they even saw a single minute of the episode.
Negative reviews bring in the views.

I'm not saying personal politics has anything to do with it, but I will say that it seems as though toxicity amongst fans has increased ever since TLJ and a certain individual got elected in 2016.
. That's it. I think you've cracked it.

Other than the shit finale, I loved Ahsoka while the content creators pretty much shit on it and that's probably because they slept on Clone Wars.

Rogue One was amazing film with a large ensemble (diversified) cast and yet there was zero hype around that. You had a MEXICAN and woman as the leads and not a peep about it when that film premiered. Same for Andor, which is probably the best live-action content D+ has produced so far. Zero hype around that.

Is the SW hate justified... idk?
  • Mando S3 was complete shit.
  • Obi-wan was dogshit... although the film recut by Kai Patterson is canon for me.
  • Boba Fett was horseshit.
  • The Sequel Trilogy gave us Ben Solo and then shit on him, Luke Skywalker and Finn. Then they recycled ideas/content from the original expanded-universe novels. Honestly, the Sequel Trilogy should've focused on Ahsoka and the Ghost crew.
  • The Galactic Starcruiser hotel gave fans the finger and is now closed.

The following 2 users liked this post by candyrocket786:
bmoney1023 (06-07-24), Rob V (06-10-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.