Reload this Page >

Dark Matter (Apple+) -- S: Edgerton, Connelly -- Premieres 5/8/2024

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-11-24, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts

Dark Matter is a sci-fi thriller series based on the blockbuster book by acclaimed, bestselling author Blake Crouch. The nine-episode series features an ensemble cast that includes Joel Edgerton, Jennifer Connelly, Alice Braga, Jimmi Simpson, Dayo Okeniyi and Oakes Fegley. Dark Matter makes its global debut on Apple TV+ on May 8, 2024, premiering with the first two episodes, followed by new episodes every Wednesday through June 26.

Hailed as one of the best sci-fi novels of the decade, Dark Matter is a story about the road not taken. The series will follow Jason Dessen (played by Joel Edgerton), a physicist, professor and family man who one night while walking home on the streets of Chicago is abducted into an alternate version of his life. Wonder quickly turns to nightmare when he tries to return to his reality amid the mind-bending landscape of lives he could have lived. In this labyrinth of realities, he embarks on a harrowing journey to get back to his true family and save them from the most terrifying, unbeatable foe imaginable: himself.

Crouch serves as executive producer, showrunner, and writer alongside executive producers Matt Tolmach and David Manpearl for Matt Tolmach Productions, and Joel Edgerton. Dark Matter is produced for Apple TV+ by Sony Pictures Television.
Old 04-11-24, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts
Re: Dark Matter (Apple+) -- S: Edgerton, Connelly -- Premieres 5/8/2024

Apple has a strong track record with the sci-fi stuff, so I'll definitely check this out....though I'd still prefer it to be a continuation of the SyFy series.
The following users liked this post:
randian (04-12-24)
Old 04-12-24, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Ummm....

This isn't the Dark Matter I was looking for. There's a better Dark Matter that I wanted to see finished.
randian (04-12-24)
Old 04-12-24, 08:55 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts

Could be decent but I get Constellation vibes from the look of this which left a bad taste in my mouth. I like the two leads so I do still plan on checking it out.
Old 04-12-24, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 285 Likes on 237 Posts

The Syfy show Dark Matter was awesome and I always immediately think of that show when Dark Matter is brought up for discussion on a site like this one (lol at BFErik's post), but to Apple's credit, as note by Vipper, they have a pretty good track record when it comes to series like this so I will also check it out.
Old 04-12-24, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Apple has a strong track record with the sci-fi stuff, so I'll definitely check this out....though I'd still prefer it to be a continuation of the SyFy series.
See, I was just about to post the opposite... Apple has done an amazing job making me want to watch their Sci-Fi series, only to be left disappointed. Constellation and Invasion come to mind... the production and quality is always top notch though. I will give this a shot. I hope it's more Foundation than Constellation.
Old 04-12-24, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

The novel was OUTSTANDING. One of my favorites of the last 20 years. I so can't wait for this.
Thos19 (04-18-24)
Old 04-18-24, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
See, I was just about to post the opposite... Apple has done an amazing job making me want to watch their Sci-Fi series, only to be left disappointed. Constellation and Invasion come to mind... the production and quality is always top notch though. I will give this a shot. I hope it's more Foundation than Constellation.
Agree I have been disappointed by every one of the shows I have watched.

This will probably be a pass unless I get really bored with nothing to watch.
Old 04-18-24, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I've been disappointed with some of their output, but they've still put out some great sci-fi shows. Severance is one of my favorite first seasons of a show. Silo was great, much better than I would've expected from the premise. Shining Girls was quite good, though arguably less sci-fi than fantasy. I enjoyed the first season of Foundation, though I haven't found time to watch the second yet. Constellation is really their only significant disappointment for me, and even it started strong before turning into a pile of hot garbage.

All of that said, I'm quite tired of the trope of 'there are infinite universes, but our main character just happened to pop into one so similar to their own that it's hard to tell it's even different.' I'll give this a shot, but it will have a high hurdle to clear for me.
Rob V (04-18-24)
Old 04-19-24, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Ummm....

This isn't the Dark Matter I was looking for. There's a better Dark Matter that I wanted to see finished.
One of my most disappointing cancellations, and just as the show really opened up and got even more interesting
Old 04-19-24, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

This looks cool.
Old 04-22-24, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
One of my most disappointing cancellations, and just as the show really opened up and got even more interesting
Yeah, I'm sure that the creators of that show (who are still hoping to get a mini-series to complete the story) aren't happy about this. It's only been about 5 years since that Dark Matter was cancelled (and not due to poor ratings, either). It seems kind of odd for someone else to put out a series with the same name so soon.

This may be great, but it isn't the Dark Matter I was looking for.