Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

My Undead Yokai Girlfriend (Prime Video)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-29-24, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Just stumbled on the trailer for this. It looks like it might be fun. Then again, I thought the same thing about House Of Ninjas.

College student Tadashi “Hachi” Inukai (Hayato Sano) is tired of feeling like a loser. But that all changes one day when he accidentally conducts a mysterious ritual he finds online, summoning a demonic yokai to the mortal plane, nicknamed Izzy (Ai Yoshikawa). Bonded by magic, Hachi and Izzy must figure out how to navigate life, love and murder.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-29-24 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-29-24, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: My Undead Yokai Girlfriend (Prime Video)

I watched the first episode and it's goofy fun. It's nothing groundbreaking, but the humour is good and the leads seem likeable. (I particularly like the cute, overeager novice cop.) The lead is your anime archetype loser, but the show doesn't beat you too hard over the head with the expected misery.
Spoiler:
And I like that he didn't waste too much time before getting laid.

The episodes also seem to be around 35 minutes. So this should be a brisk, fun watch.
Old 03-30-24, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

I'd probably check it out if it were animated. I'll see what reviews say before diving in.
Old 03-30-24, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'd probably check it out if it were animated. I'll see what reviews say before diving in.
I burned through 5 of the 8 episodes and have enjoyed them a great deal so far. This is more a goofy rom-com with spurts of action (I regretted it, the moment I typed it) and an underlying mystery. Overall, lots of fun.

EDIT: No major outlets seem to be covering this show. These are the few reviews I could find.

Decider : Stream It

Common Sense Media: 3 out of 5

A Good Movie To Watch: 7.8

Everything else I found were user review scores that hovered between 8.2 and 7.7.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-30-24 at 11:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (03-31-24)
Old 04-01-24, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Finished the season and enjoyed it overall. For anyone on the fence, worried about starting a show that may or may not get cancelled (who really knows these days?), the first season's arc is wrapped up by the end. However, it ends with enough threads that set up a second season. Hopefully they get one.

All in all, I am surprised this isn't based on a pre-existing property, as it very much feels like a live action anime.