Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Manhunt (Apple TV+) - John Wilkes Booth / Lincoln limited series - premieres 3/15/24

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Manhunt (Apple TV+) - John Wilkes Booth / Lincoln limited series - premieres 3/15/24

Old 03-14-24, 08:43 AM

Received 4,689 Likes on 3,177 Posts

A conspiracy thriller about one of the best known but least understood crimes in history: the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. This is the astonishing story of the high-stakes hunt for John Wilkes Booth. Manhunt, a limited series, comes to Apple TV+ March 15.

Based on The New York Times bestselling and Edgar Award-winning nonfiction book from author James L. Swanson, “Manhunt” is a conspiracy thriller about one of the best known but least understood crimes in history, the astonishing story of the hunt for John Wilkes Booth in the aftermath of Abraham Lincoln’s assassination. The seven-part limited series stars Emmy Award-winning actor Tobias Menzies (“The Crown,” “Game of Thrones,” “Outlander”), and is created by Emmy nominee Monica Beletsky (“Fargo,” “The Leftovers,” “Friday Night Lights”), who also serves as showrunner and executive producer. Emmy nominee Carl Franklin (“Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story,” “One False Move,” “Devil in a Blue Dress”) directed the first two episodes and is also an executive producer on the series.

Starring alongside Menzies are Anthony Boyle (“Tetris,” “The Plot Against America”), Lovie Simone (“Greenleaf”), Will Harrison (“Daisy Jones & The Six”), Brandon Flynn (“13 Reasons Why”), Damian O’Hare (“Hatfields & McCoys”), Glenn Morshower (“The Resident”), Patton Oswalt (“A.P. Bio”), Matt Walsh (“Veep”) and Hamish Linklater (“The Big Short”).

“Manhunt” is produced by Apple Studios and co-produced by Lionsgate Television, in association with POV Entertainment, Walden Media, 3 Arts Entertainment, Dovetale Productions and Monarch Pictures. Monica Beletsky, Carl Franklin, Layne Eskridge and Kate Barry executive produce. Swanson, author of “Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer” also serves as executive producer alongside Michael Rotenberg, Richard Abate, Frank Smith and Naia Cucukov.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 09:24 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Manhunt (Apple TV+) - John Wilkes Booth / Lincoln limited series - premieres 3/15/24

The book was fantastic, so the source material is there. Looking forward to this
Old 03-14-24, 09:31 AM

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,174 Posts
Re: Manhunt (Apple TV+) - John Wilkes Booth / Lincoln limited series - premieres 3/15/24

I absolutely love the book. It's especially excellent on audio, read at a breakneck speed like a mustery thriller. Truly, the whole book is written as compelling as a series of relentless chase scenes all strung together, very compelling reading. I'm sure the series can't keep up that pace because it would be exhausting as a viewer, but as a reader I loved it.
Old 03-14-24, 11:22 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I absolutely love the book. It's especially excellent on audio, read at a breakneck speed like a mustery thriller. Truly, the whole book is written as compelling as a series of relentless chase scenes all strung together, very compelling reading. I'm sure the series can't keep up that pace because it would be exhausting as a viewer, but as a reader I loved it.
Well said - it truly is a page-turner for the reasons you mention. Glad to see the author, Swanson, was involved with this series as one of the executive producers.
story (03-15-24)
Old 03-14-24, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 206 Posts

I will probably watch this at some point but for some reason this does not seem that it would be as exciting as you guys make it out.

Now I am interested for sure.
Old 03-15-24, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Might have to check this one out. It is a story that has a lot of moving parts beyond the main assassination. I only recently stumbled across the name Boston Corbett and was surprised to learn he was the man who shot and killed John Wilkes Booth. Given his role in such a famous historical event it was surprising his name has been largely forgotten over time. Reading more about this unusual figure's life was just as fascinating from his religious beliefs to surviving the notorious Andersonville and the aftermath of the Wilkes manhunt.
Old 03-15-24, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Turns out that one of my Facebook friends, who I worked with previously, was the visual effects post producer of this series. He just made a post saying that he worked on this from January of last year and finished last June during the strikes. So this show was filmed awhile ago.
Old 03-18-24, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 612 Likes on 442 Posts

The first epsiode certainly wasn’t that.
Snail’s pace.
Maybe even slower.
Old 03-18-24, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
The book was fantastic, so the source material is there. Looking forward to this
Originally Posted by whotony
The first epsiode certainly wasn’t that.
Snail’s pace.
Maybe even slower.
I loved the book too. Read it in under two days, I couldn't put it down. I had hoped they would eventually make it into a movie at some point. I caught the first episode and it did nothing for me. Tobias Menzies and Lili Taylor aside, it's not very good. I don't mind that it's slow, it's just not exciting like the book in any way. And what the hell is Patton Oswalt doing in this? He's terrible and needs to stick with stand up.
Old 03-19-24, 08:17 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 590 Likes on 338 Posts

I never read the book, but the first episode has me hooked.

The guy who plays Booth was Croz in Masters of the Air.
Old 03-19-24, 08:40 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 271 Likes on 205 Posts

This is just a weirdly cast series. Patton Oswalt as Baker and Matt Walsh as Mudd are odd choices.

It is slow so far.

Old 03-19-24, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

The book was great, I read it when David Simon was attached. Patton Oswald sticks out. Matt Walsh blends in to the era, except the guy he’s playing was like 32.
Old 03-19-24, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
The book was great, I read it when David Simon was attached. Patton Oswald sticks out. Matt Walsh blends in to the era, except the guy he’s playing was like 32.
Yeah, Walsh was an odd casting choice too. But nowhere near as bad as Oswald. The book was so thrilling and the show is not. There is just no spark. The acting feels so bland and one dimensional overall.
Old 03-19-24, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

I thought the first two episodes were good. I checked out the book from the library, so I will knock that out before the series comes to an end.
Old 03-25-24, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
This is unrelated except for the Manhunt title. I couldn't find a thread on it but I've been watching the Manhunt about the Unabomber from 2017 and holy cow is it good! Sam Worthington is really terrific as the lead profiler. I knew him from Avatar and that one Terminator but his work in this stands high and above. A lot of great work from the other actors too. The episode titled "Ted" is really heartbreaking and captivating. I remember the coverage at the time and the controversial decision to print the manifesto, the first crazy images after the arrest and hearing some of the details afterwards but this makes it all extremely compelling.
You mean this show thread? The last post was from 2020. I requested a Mod move your comment since it's unrelated to this topic.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/64...hris-noth.html

Last edited by DJariya; 03-25-24 at 10:43 PM.
philo (03-26-24)
Old 03-25-24, 10:41 PM

Received 818 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
You mean this show thread? The last post was from 2020. I requested a Mod move your comment since it's unrelated to this topic.
I moved it. 😉
DJariya (03-25-24)
Old 03-26-24, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I moved it. 😉
Thanks.
That thread didn't show when I did my Advanced Search of this forum. I searched "manhunt" and then "unabomber" with thread only results and nothing showed. Of course now that my post has been moved the thread appears when i search.
Ok I see what I did wrong. My option had "A year ago" selected.
Goldberg74 (03-26-24)
Old 04-19-24, 11:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 271 Likes on 205 Posts

Finished the finale tonight. Thought it was fine overall.

Menzies was the best part.
Old 04-20-24, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Enjoyed it. Threw me off that it was only 7 episodes.