Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So You Think You Can Dance 2024 (Fox)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-04-24, 10:27 PM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Wow I had no idea this was coming back especially since it has been thrown out in the summertime as filler for the past few seasons like yesterday's trash.

Given all the recent press about Nigel Lythgoe and Paula Abdul I figured that we had seen the last of this show but here we are with a new revamped version!

So far the best thing they have done is get all new judges. And here's a new idea....they actually have dance experience instead of being hacks and wanna-bes (Jo Jo Siwa, Leah Rimini, Matthew Morrison)

I love that they brought back Allison and Comfort who were probably two of the most beloved and favorite alumni of regular viewers like myself. I don't think Max Chermicovsky (sp?) had any connection to this show previously but he obvs has dance skills from Dancing with Stars and his own dance career. All respected and talented people who are qualified to judge.

So far I'm loving this reboot(?). Smart of them to keep Cat Deeley for something to carryover from the past seasons and she really does a great job as host and giving the kids a sympathetic shoulder to cry on. Looking forward to see how this season goes!
Old 03-04-24, 11:31 PM

Received 816 Likes on 531 Posts
Re: So You Think You Can Dance 2024 (Fox)

Comfort is only there for the audition phase.

The live shows will have JoJo Siwa judge with Allison and Maxim. From what Iíve seen, they will start the live shows with a Top 10.

Heres a press release about the format of Season 18!

So You Think You Can Dance is back and better than ever! Season 18 will infuse a new format reflecting the authentic experience of building a successful career in dance, as so many alums have. Each week, contestants will compete in new, intense dance challenges that will give them a real taste of the career, from performing in a music video or a football halftime show to going toe-to-toe on stage with a Broadway performer. In the end, it will be up to the judges to decide their fate. Eliminations will take place weekly, with the Top 3 finalists competing in the season's spectacular finale, but only one will win the $100,000 grand prize and be crowned the winner of So You Think You Can Dance Season 18. This season will also debut a documentary-style look at the contestants' dynamics, following them throughout the competition as they go through their personal and competitive journeys.
Old 04-17-24, 10:12 PM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: So You Think You Can Dance 2024 (Fox)

They have ruined this show. It's not even Jo Jo Siwas fault altho she certainly doesn't help.

It's basically all judge-centric now and you don't really get to know any of the dancers because they are gone before you even know their names. Why make a big deal about them all living together and then show nothing about them at the house? Why point out you have this big beautiful dance studio space you created for the show and then only use it to show them doing 1 minute solos to determine who goes home?

The idea of different challenges each week sounds promising. This week's was music video shoot. But all you do is watch 5 minutes of them learning choreography to use in the video. We don't even see the entire video! Then we spend 10 minutes of the judges repeating the same agonized phrases over how hard it will be because they are all so good. There are only 10 chosen to go on so of course they are all good at this point. I don't understand why they revamped things. The way it originally worked seemed more fair to all of the dancers who each came from different styles. They all had to learn other styles and we got enjoy professionally choreographed routines that made the show worth watching each week. This is just boring and stupid. Id rather watch reruns of old seasons than this.

Since everything appears to be shot in Atlanta Im guessing the only way they could produce the show was to promise to create it as cheaply as possible and it shows. It's too bad Nigel got booted off for his sexual harassment issue (allegedly!) because I would have loved watching him grimace at how awful they have made this show. I think this was always a. labor of love for him and now it's a shadow of itself. Even Cat Deeley is wasted hardly seen. She could've just phoned it in and done voiceovers.

I'll continue watching because I am a huge fan of dancers and choreography which we rarely get to see done well. The dancing is still amazing and they still feature some of the best people in the business even it is chopped up filet mignon being served to us as dog food.