Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sympathizer (HBO) - limited series - S: Robert Downey, Jr., EP: Park Chan-wook - premieres 4/14/24

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Sympathizer (HBO) - limited series - S: Robert Downey, Jr., EP: Park Chan-wook - premieres 4/14/24

Old 02-15-24, 10:18 AM

Received 4,682 Likes on 3,170 Posts

The Sympathizer, the new @HBO Original Limited Series from Robert Downey Jr., Park Chan-wook and a24, and based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, premieres April 14.

Based on Viet Thanh Nguyen’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel of the same name, The Sympathizer is an espionage thriller and cross-culture satire about the struggles of a half-French, half-Vietnamese communist spy during the final days of the Vietnam War and his resulting exile in the United States.

Park Chan-wook and Don McKellar co-showrun and executive produce. The cast is led by Hoa Xuande, Fred Nguyen Khan, Toan Le, Ky Duyen, and Sandra Oh; and star and executive producer Robert Downey Jr., who plays multiple roles.
Old 02-16-24, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts
Re: The Sympathizer (HBO) - limited series - S: Robert Downey, Jr., EP: Park Chan-wook - premieres 4/14/2

This looks interesting, I saw this image floating around from the trailer which just reminds me of Tropic Thunder.

Old 03-28-24, 10:07 AM

Re: The Sympathizer (HBO) - limited series - S: Robert Downey, Jr., EP: Park Chan-wook - premieres 4/14/2

Old 04-14-24, 07:58 AM

Premieres tonight.
Old 04-16-24, 09:32 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 270 Likes on 205 Posts

Looks like this one may have as much draw as The Regime just had

I thought it was interesting.

There's a lot of time jumps back and forth so you do have to pay attention.
Old 04-16-24, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

This was fucking bad ass! Wow, those final minutes were beyond harrowing. Looked and sounded great in 4K DV/Atmos, too. RDJ was sleazy as hell.

For those that read books, there's a sequel book called The Committed.
Old 04-18-24, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

I enjoyed the first part, interested enough to keep watching.

I was surprised during the end credits to see Don McKellar is Park Chan-wook's collaborator on this. He's had quite an eclectic career.
Old 04-20-24, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 868 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I was surprised during the end credits to see Don McKellar is Park Chan-wook's collaborator on this. He's had quite an eclectic career.
Wonder if McKellar wrote Sandra Oh's part with her specifically in mind - since they starred together in his excellent Last Night which he directed.

Odd that even though she's shown in the trailer and her name is credited, Sandra Oh's not listed in the cast on IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes.