Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Griselda (Netflix) -- S: Sofia Vergara -- From the makers of Narcos and Narcos: Mexico

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Griselda (Netflix) -- S: Sofia Vergara -- From the makers of Narcos and Narcos: Mexico

Old 11-30-23, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

GRISELDA

A new limited series starring and executive produced by Sofía Vergara, premieres globally on Netflix on January 25, 2024

Executive Produced by NARCOS & NARCOS: MEXICO showrunner & directing team Eric Newman and Andrés Baiz

About GRISELDA:

GRISELDA is inspired by the life of the savvy and ambitious Griselda Blanco, who created one of the most profitable cartels in history. In 1970s-80s Miami, Blanco's lethal blend of unsuspected savagery and charm helped her expertly navigate between business and family, leading her to become widely known as "the Godmother."

Starring and executive produced by Sofia Vergara, the dramatic limited series GRISELDA is created by NARCOS and NARCOS: MEXICO showrunner Eric Newman, who comes to the title alongside NARCOS director Andrés Baiz, who directs all six episodes. The series is co-created by Doug Miro, Ingrid Escajeda & Carlo Bernard and Executive Produced by Newman, Miro, Escajeda, Bernard, along with Vergara and Luis Balaguer with Latin World Entertainment. In addition to Vergara, the series stars Alberto Guerra, Christian Tappan, Martín Rodríguez, Juliana Aidén Martinez, Vanessa Ferlito and, making her on screen debut, Carolina Giraldo (a.k.a Karol G).

Series Credits:

Format: Limited Series, 6 Episodes x 1 Hour

Executive Producer & Star: Sofía Vergara

Created by: Eric Newman & Doug Miro & Ingrid Escajeda & Carlo Bernard

Executive Producers: NARCOS and NARCOS: MEXICO showrunner and directing team Eric Newman and Andrés Baiz. As well as Doug Miro, Ingrid Escajeda, Carlo Bernard along with Sofía Vergara and Luis Balaguer with Latin World Entertainment.

Director: Andrés Baiz (all episodes)

Co-Showrunners: Ingrid Escajeda & Doug Miro

Starring: Sofía Vergara (Griselda Blanco), Alberto Guerra (Dario Sepúlveda), Christian Tappan (Arturo Mesa), Martín Rodríguez (Rivi Ayala), Juliana Aidén Martinez (June Hawkins), Vanessa Ferlito (Carmen Gutiérrez)

Looks like it could be fun. Vergara playing a drug lord is definitely a departure.

This reminds me of the USA series "Queen of the South" with Alice Braga
Old 12-01-23, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 754 Likes on 550 Posts
Re: Griselda (Netflix) -- S: Sofia Vergara -- From the makers of Narcos and Narcos: Mexico

Just wondering why they didn't include this as a NARCOS series?
Old 12-01-23, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 389 Likes on 314 Posts
Re: Griselda (Netflix) -- S: Sofia Vergara -- From the makers of Narcos and Narcos: Mexico

Hell yeah! I loved the Narcos series and this looks very much the same.
Old 12-01-23, 09:54 AM

Received 4,689 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Just wondering why they didn't include this as a NARCOS series?
My best guess is that one of the three creators of Narcos (Chris Brancato) isn't involved in this and if they titled it as such they'd probably have to pay him. It's not the same production company either.

This is what Eric Newman said when asked. Didn't really directly answer.

Your next show, Griselda, centers on Griselda Blanco, a notorious cocaine trafficker played by Sofia Vergara. It’s similar subject matter to Narcos and comes from many on the Narcos team. Did you consider sticking Narcos in its title and making it part of that franchise?
It can’t help but be a bit of a cousin. It had a lot of the elements and felt like Narcos to us but we also wanted it to be Sofia’s party. She’s so good in it and it’s something that she’s been carrying around. To go back to your question about what appeals to me, or what the throughline is, it’s that kind of passion. There’s always someone in the equation — and I’ve been the person and I’ve also facilitated for the person — and here it was Sophia who was like, “I want to do this. I don’t know that I can do this but I want to try.” And I knew she could.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...er-1235558921/

Last edited by dex14; 12-01-23 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-01-23, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 754 Likes on 550 Posts

I guess the one thing is that the two Narcos series are interconnected. Maybe this one doesn't cross over into their world.
Old 12-01-23, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 875 Likes on 614 Posts

Sofía Vergara as Griselda Blanco? That's one hell of a stretch.
Aside from the differences in looks, her acting ability (or lack thereof) will make this a tough watch.

I highly recommend watching the documentary Cocaine Cowboys. It's so well done. The sequel Cocaine Cowboys 2 wasn't as good, but still decent.
Old 01-25-24, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Now up on Netflix
Old 01-27-24, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Halfway done. I've liked it so far.

I loved the quote at the start of E1: "The only man I was a afraid of was a woman name Griselda Blanco" - Pablo Escobar
Old 02-04-24, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 653 Likes on 503 Posts

This was only so-so. Although well acted, being only a 6-episode series really hurt it. It felt as if there was more story to tell but no real time to tell it. And despite her retaliatory hits, and bouts of paranoia, her menace felt rather neutered (especially given that quote by Pablo Escobar). I didn't hate it, but I expected more.
Old 02-05-24, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
This was only so-so. Although well acted, being only a 6-episode series really hurt it. It felt as if there was more story to tell but no real time to tell it. And despite her retaliatory hits, and bouts of paranoia, her menace felt rather neutered (especially given that quote by Pablo Escobar). I didn't hate it, but I expected more.

have not seen it yet but it sounds like it's trying to bridge the gap between too much and not enough and too many shows are guilty of going for 10 when 6 episodes will do. Not going to ask if a season 2 is possible as there is no way to do that without spoilers.

At least it will be a quick-to-watch series.
Old 02-06-24, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 628 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Sofía Vergara as Griselda Blanco? That's one hell of a stretch.
Aside from the differences in looks, her acting ability (or lack thereof) will make this a tough watch.
Yeah. Definitely a stretch.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I also thought it was so-so. Definitely rushed; should have been at least 8 episodes, if not 10.