Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Mirror (Netflix) - Season 7

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-21-23, 10:50 AM

Received 4,689 Likes on 3,177 Posts

“Black Mirror” is coming back for a seventh season, Variety understands.

The hit sci-fi show created by Charlie Brooker returned to screens earlier this year after a four-year hiatus, garnering record viewing numbers on Netflix. According to the streamer, it reached the Top 10 in 92 countries and spent 4 weeks in Netflix’s global top 10 English-speaking TV.

No casting has been confirmed yet for Season 7 but Variety understands the show is set to go into production later this year with Brooker, Annabel Jones and Jessica Rhodes believed to be returning as executive producers. Plot details and number of episodes are still being kept under wraps.

Season 6, which consisted of five parts, featured a host of A-list names including Salma Hayek, Annie Murphy, Aaron Paul, Josh Hartnett and Paapa Essiedu among others. Season 5 was comprised of only three instalments and starred Andrew Scott, Anthony Mackie, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Topher Grace and Miley Cyrus.

The rights to “Black Mirror” are complicated, which partly accounted for the delay between Seasons 5 and 6. Brooker and creative partner Jones left their production company, the Enedemol Shine-backed House of Tomorrow, in January 2020 to set up shop at Netflix under a new production banner called Broke and Bones. But under the terms of their deal the rights to “Black Mirror” stayed with Endemol Shine, which was acquired by Banijay Group in 2020. Banijay Rights licenses the show to Netflix.

The dystopian series has often been credited with predicting the future in the most depressing ways. The most recent season, which dropped in June, opened with an episode about a streaming service called Streamberry which was co-opting people’s lives in real-time using AI to turn them into shows for its platform. Brooker told Variety the episode was written before AI program ChatGPT became national news (both the WGA and SAG-AFTRA negotiations included permitted use and scope of AI).

“I worry for a living — it’s generally what I do— and I’m very worried about AI and the use of ChatGPT and things like that,” he said during a London rally in support of the writers strike earlier this year. “That’s a particular concern to me, so that’s why I’m here.” When asked if the episode was therefore another example of “Black Mirror” predicting the future he replied: “Unfortunately, in this case.”
https://variety.com/2023/tv/global/b...-7-1235774423/
The following users liked this post:
andicus (11-21-23)
Old 11-21-23, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 242 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Black Mirror (Netflix) - Season 7

Hope this is better than the last one which was a disappointed for me.
Old 11-21-23, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 481 Likes on 332 Posts

Great news... 3/5 episodes in season 6 were really good.
Old 03-14-24, 01:24 PM

Received 4,689 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Charlie Brooker's dark, satirical anthology series will return in 2025 with six brand new episodes, including a sequel to the sci-fi adventure USS Callister...

Black Mirror is returning to the USS Callister, the setting of one of its most highly-regarded episodes.

Netflix confirmed Season 7 of Charlie Brooker and Annabel Jones’ anthology today and delivered a teaser that will delight fans.

“USS Callister will return… Robert Daly is dead, but for the crew of the USS Callister, their problems are just beginning,” said the tease, revealed at Netflix’s See What’s Next Event in London.

USS Callister was the first episode of the fourth season of Black Mirror – the second on Netflix – and starred Jesse Plemons, Cristin Milioti, Jimmi Simpson and Michaela Coel.

The Emmy-winning instalment was penned by Brooker and directed by Todd Haynes and followed Daly (Plemons), a reclusive but gifted programer and co-founder of a popular massively multiplayer online game who is bitter over the lack of recognition of his position from his coworkers. Telling a tale that evoked themes of fragile masculinity and the dangers of technology, Daly takes out his frustrations by simulating a Star Trek–like space adventure within the game, using his co-workers’ DNA to create sentient digital clones of them, with terrifying consequences.

No more details were incoming about the return of the Callister but Netflix said Brooker will create the latest Black Mirror series and EP with Jones and Jessica Rhoades. Brooker and Jones’ Broke & Bones outfit continues to produce and Banijay Rights is distributing.

The previous sixth season of Black Mirror featured the likes of Salma Hayek, Myha’la Herrold and Aaron Paul.
https://deadline.com/2024/03/black-m...ix-1235858404/
Old 03-14-24, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,823 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Hope Milioti is back for the Callister sequel.
Old 03-14-24, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 481 Likes on 332 Posts

Woohoo! Can't wait.
Old 03-14-24, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 186 Posts

I'll take all the Black Mirror I can get, bring it on!
The following users liked this post:
andicus (03-14-24)