Reload this Page >

Parish (AMC) -- S: Giancarlo Esposito -- Based on the UK series The Driver

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-14-23, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts

AMC Networks today released a first-look teaser trailer and photos for its upcoming action-packed drama Parish, premiering on AMC and AMC+ in 2024. The six-episode series stars and is executive produced by Emmy(R) and SAG(R) Award-nominee and Critics Choice(R) Award-winner Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Mandalorian).

Esposito stars as Gracian "Gray" Parish, a family man and proud owner of a luxury car service in New Orleans. After his son is violently murdered and his business collapses, an encounter with an old friend from his days as a wheelman resurfaces old habits, sending Gray on a high-stakes collision course with a violent criminal syndicate.

Shot on-location in New Orleans, Parish features a prominent ensemble cast of Zachary Momoh (The Nevers, Harriet, Doctor Sleep) as New Orleans-based Zimbabwean gangster The Horse; SAG(R) Award-nominee Paula Malcomson (Watchmen, The Hunger Games, Ray Donovan) as Parish's wife and mother to his two children, Rose; Skeet Ulrich (Scream, Riverdale) as an old acquaintance to Gray, Colin; Bonnie Mbuili (Invictus, Wallander) as Shamiso Tongai, The Horse's smart and protective older sister; Ivan Mbakop (Hawkeye, Red Notice) as The Horse's brother, Zenzo; Arica Himmel (Mixed-ish, Black-ish) as Gray and Rose's daughter Makayla; and Dax Rey (The Good Fight, Chicago Fire) as The Horse's son Luke.

Bradley Whitford (The West Wing, Get Out, The Handmaid's Tale) recurs as Anton, the charming and intelligent face of industrial business in Louisiana who covertly heads a criminal organization. His dispute with The Horse's human trafficking ring puts him at direct odds with Parish. SAG(R) Award-nominee Amanda Brugel (The Handmaid's Tale, Orphan Black) guest stars as Sister Anne, who has a mysterious past with Gray.

Parish is based on the hit U.K. series The Driver, created by Danny Brocklehurst and Jim Poyser. It's produced by AMC Studios, in association with A+E Studios and Thruline Entertainment. Brocklehurst serves as co-creator and executive producer. Eduardo Canto and Ryan Maldonado serve as showrunners and executive producers; Giancarlo Esposito also executive produces alongside Brocklehurst, Poyser, Jolyon Symonds and David Morrissey for Scribbler Films, Josh Kesselman, Danny Sherman, Barry Jossen, Tana Jamieson, Theo Travers and Red Production's Nicola Shindler.

6 episodes. Premieres in the new year.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-06-24 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-15-23, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Parish (AMC) -- S: Giancarlo Esposito -- Based on the UK series The Driver

Count me in for anythign with Esposito! Especially an action packed drama.
Old 11-15-23, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Esposito, New Orleans as a back drop? I'm in!
Old 11-15-23, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm in, but it was really weird hearing Esposito speak without that Spanish inflection that Gus had
Old 02-06-24, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Premieres March 31st on AMC and AMC+
Old 03-30-24, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk God

A courtesy bump. This premieres on Sunday on both AMC and AMC+ It will be up on AMC+ at 3am

Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times loved it.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/parish/s01

However, it's sitting at 27% through 11 reviews.
Old 03-30-24, 07:49 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

that sux. I don't think i've ever seen Esposito in anything remotely bad. i'll stick to 1st ep at least.
Old 04-01-24, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

I'm about a half-hour in and I'm thinking about deleting it. The pace just drags.
Old 04-02-24, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

I watched the 1st episode last night. It was alright. I wasn't blown away by it. The car/chase sequences were fine. But, this story seems to have been told before. I never saw the original UK series, so I can't compare it.

Former criminal trying to live a straight life with his family. A tragedy happens, he's hurting for money and he reluctantly goes back to his old ways. Esposito does have the gravitas to elevate material that isn't that interesting. I do think that Paula Malcomson is miscast his Gray's wife. Not really a big fan of hers. She was probably the worst part of Ray Donovan.

The execution scene was pretty gruesome though. It's a really short series, so I'll try to finish it up. But, I understand with so much on that this may not attract most of you. New Orleans is a great backdrop though.
Old 04-09-24, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

For anyone that wasn't feeling it the first episode, I thought the second episode was much better.