Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Squid Game: The Challenge (Netflix) -- Competition show based on the TV series -- 11/22/23

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Squid Game: The Challenge (Netflix) -- Competition show based on the TV series -- 11/22/23

Old 11-12-23, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

456 real people.

4.56 million dollars.

SQUID GAME: THE CHALLENGE

PREMIERES GLOBALLY ON NOVEMBER 22 ON NETFLIX

New Episodes Premiering Weekly, Through December 6th

Synopsis: 456 real players will enter the competition show in pursuit of a life-changing reward of USD $4.56 million. As they compete through a series of games inspired by the original show - plus surprising new additions - their strategies, alliances, and character will be put to the test while competitors are eliminated around them.

Executive Producers: Nicola Brown (The Garden), Tim Harcourt (Studio Lambert), John Hay (The Garden), Toni Ireland (Studio Lambert), Anna Kidd, Stephen Lambert (Studio Lambert), Louise Peet, Nia Yemoh (Studio Lambert), Stephen Yemoh (Studio Lambert).

Production Companies: Studio Lambert & The Garden

Format : 10 episodes

This premieres in 2 weeks. I have to admit, it looks fun. I heard this was filmed in secrecy in the UK earlier this year. The prize money is huge.

The following users liked this post:
kahuna (11-12-23)
Old 11-12-23, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,051 Likes on 742 Posts
Re: Squid Game: The Challenge (Netflix) -- Competition show based on the TV series -- 11/22/23

Shit.. Does this mean the series is not coming back, and it's just this?

Unfortunately, this doesn't interest me, at all.
DVD Polizei (12-10-23)
Old 11-12-23, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Squid Game: The Challenge (Netflix) -- Competition show based on the TV series -- 11/22/23

Originally Posted by andicus

A 2nd season of the scripted version is still planned. When it will get made is unknown.
Old 11-12-23, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,051 Likes on 742 Posts

Okay, that's good to know. Thanks!
Old 11-12-23, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus

Conceptually, these reality game shows do interest me. However, based on the execution of most of them . . . not terribly interested. Unless they are really killing contestants. Then I will tune in to see the douchebags that always get cast in these things get knocked off en masse.
Old 11-16-23, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 112 Posts

I loved the original series so I’m intrigued by the idea of making it a real game where nobody dies. I’ll give it a chance.
Old 11-22-23, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

This is up today. 5 episodes are up.

Old 11-23-23, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk God

I watched the first two episodes tonight. It’s basically a reality competition game show based on the original show. The TV critics who have reviewed this so far seem to hate it. And the audience score is also terrible.

They started with 456 contestants. It’s now down to 118. Those who “die” are shot with a paint gun. Red Light, Green Light and the cookie challenge from the original show eliminated most of the contestants. There is a little bit of strategy involved and being a good talker and manipulator with how episode 2 ended and the phone call. I like the Mom and Son. The athletic guy who is a former football jock is kind of a cocky D bag.

I don’t fault anyone who has no interest as most of you probably have so many other things to watch that take bigger priority. I’ll try to finish this 5 episode batch and see if I feel like continuing when more episodes drop on the 29th.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-23-23 at 03:05 AM.
Old 11-24-23, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 364 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I watched the first two episodes tonight. Itís basically a reality competition game show based on the original show. The TV critics who have reviewed this so far seem to hate it. And the audience score is also terrible.

They started with 456 contestants. Itís now down to 118. Those who ďdieĒ are shot with a paint gun. Red Light, Green Light and the cookie challenge from the original show eliminated most of the contestants. There is a little bit of strategy involved and being a good talker and manipulator with how episode 2 ended and the phone call. I like the Mom and Son. The athletic guy who is a former football jock is kind of a cocky D bag.

I donít fault anyone who has no interest as most of you probably have so many other things to watch that take bigger priority. Iíll try to finish this 5 episode batch and see if I feel like continuing when more episodes drop on the 29th.
I gave up after the 1st episode.
Old 11-24-23, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

For a supposed unscripted reality show, it feels really scripted. I watched all five current episodes, the way people spoke was less actual speech and more written for them speech. Its weird how they all instantly bonded after only a day or two too.
kahuna (11-24-23)
Old 11-24-23, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Surprisingly enjoying this.
Old 11-24-23, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,172 Likes on 914 Posts

Excited for the second season of the scripted series but I donít have much interest in the reality show.
Old 11-24-23, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,271 Likes on 848 Posts

I watched the 1st episode, and I view it as a comedy. The game itself generates some tension (even if we've seen it before) but the rest is laughably bad. All the comments/dialogues are cliche, dumb and ridiculous. I mean "I love myself so much". Really? The only reason for me to keep watching is to laugh my ass off and I hope they all die and nobody wins.
Old 11-25-23, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,271 Likes on 848 Posts

To be fair, there's one thing this show does very well, they make it hard for you to guess who's next to be booted out. In the first episode you had a few interviews with some of the contestants. So as a viewer, you think, well if they bother doing segments on 4-5 of them, surely those are in for the long run. Nope! Well done.
Old 11-28-23, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 366 Likes on 280 Posts

I wasn't planning on watching this, but ending up doing so after visiting family, and we started watching it during Thanksgiving weekend. So dramatic haha, but well made.

I liked that the tug-of-war game was changed and made a twist.
Old 11-29-23, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

My wife commented wondering why everyone was so dramatic on the show. Potential for $4.5M would make me emotional too. AS eXcentris mentioned, I like how they interview random people to keep you guessing who is getting booted. I was certain a few people would be gone by the episode I'm on (episode 4) and others would be around for the long haul and have been proven wrong over and over.

I've randomly come across alot of contestants on TikTok talking about the show and one of them asked why so many peoples' hands were in their pockets during the red/green light game. Apparently the actual game took 4-5 hours (which makes sense as I assume they review footage to see who moved and that takes time) so they were standing still for a very long time. This also explains why so many people choose to lay down after running which I thought was a terrible tactic as it takes some time to drop and get back up. I'm sure that girl that stopped in a squatting position was dying after about 10 min.
Old 12-06-23, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Renewed for a 2nd season:

https://tvline.com/news/squid-game-t...ix-1235095082/
Boondock Saint (12-06-23)
Old 12-07-23, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 366 Likes on 280 Posts

Just finished, the editing for this was fantastic.

No ďwinnerís editĒ in the early episodes and even the final game had some great trick editing.

kahuna (12-08-23)
Old 02-12-24, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 175 Likes on 139 Posts

I was surprised how well this was done. I expected the overly dramatic confessionals, but what I didnít expect was how true they were to the show and the feel of the gameplay. Iíd definitely watch another season.