Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Bodies (Netflix) -- S: Stephen Graham -- Mystery Time Travel Limited series -- Premieres 10/19/23

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bodies (Netflix) -- S: Stephen Graham -- Mystery Time Travel Limited series -- Premieres 10/19/23

Old 10-19-23, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Four detectives, living in four different eras, find the body of the same murder victim in London's Whitechapel. They soon come to realise their investigations have them central to a mysterious conspiracy spanning over a 150 years.

All 8 episodes are up today. I guess this is Netflix's new event series.

Old 10-19-23, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Bodies (Netflix) -- S: Stephen Graham -- Mystery Time Travel Limited series -- Premieres 10/19/23

Trailer looked good. May check out but I should finish some other in progress items first,
Old 10-23-23, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: Bodies (Netflix) -- S: Stephen Graham -- Mystery Time Travel Limited series -- Premieres 10/19/23

This was very good. Nice easy binge watch.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (11-28-23)
Old 10-23-23, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,002 Likes on 721 Posts

My wife bailed after 2 episodes. I'll probably stick with it just to see where it's all going.
Old 10-24-23, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 366 Likes on 280 Posts

Oof, dumping this after 15 minutes into the 2nd episode.

It was described as time travel, but I donít see any. Boring and just slogging through the same story in four different time periods.
Old 10-24-23, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Iím two episodes in and liking it. I agree there isnít a lot going on in the two oldest periods, but things pick up in the Ďpresentí and future periods at the end of ep 2. Will finish it out.
Old 10-30-23, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still have two episodes to go, but this series is definitely interesting and takes some unexpected turns. Some Iím not as sold on, but curious to see how it wraps up. I have a few theories, but weíll see if they pan out.

The production quality is well done, and I did NOT see some of the plot twists coming which I greatly appreciate.
Old 10-31-23, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished up the series and enjoyed it. A few thoughts on the ending

Spoiler:
  • I did suspect Maplewood would have to go back and live with her disability. Seemed to follow from the conversation with her brother. However, didnít really see what happened to her; although more on that laterÖ
  • It seemed too convenient that one conversation from an informed Hillinghead changed Elliasí mind so quickly. I figured Maplewood would have to setup a counter long game.
  • It was interesting to see how a few tweaks adjust the overall trajectory.
  • I did noticed during the 1941 montage there was a poster for a Polly concert!
  • If everybody affected just disappeared then I donít understand how Maplewood was in 2023 at the end. I wonder if the throat sequence and marking means everybody split into threes meaning there were multiples? Also, does that mean they all went into the future too?
  • Also, if it was all a circle, it begs the question of how it all startedÖ

Iíd actually be interested to do a rewatch in the future to see if I pick up on new details. I may actually seek out the source material first to give it a read through.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (11-28-23)
Old 11-01-23, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Just finished up as well.

Masterful storytelling and one of my favorite series this year. Comp!ex, fascinating and always engaging.
Old 11-01-23, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 240 Likes on 143 Posts

I started this the other night expecting to watch one episode and kept going. Only haven't finished because I had somewhere to be last night. Excited to get home this evening and finish it. Much better than I was expecting.

"t was described as time travel, but I don’t see any."

So, the fact it was the same body in all four time periods didn't immediately ring to you as time travel? It was pretty obvious.
Old 11-28-23, 08:42 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 590 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Finished up the series and enjoyed it. A few thoughts on the ending

Spoiler:
  • I did suspect Maplewood would have to go back and live with her disability. Seemed to follow from the conversation with her brother. However, didnít really see what happened to her; although more on that laterÖ
  • It seemed too convenient that one conversation from an informed Hillinghead changed Elliasí mind so quickly. I figured Maplewood would have to setup a counter long game.
  • It was interesting to see how a few tweaks adjust the overall trajectory.
  • I did noticed during the 1941 montage there was a poster for a Polly concert!
  • If everybody affected just disappeared then I donít understand how Maplewood was in 2023 at the end. I wonder if the throat sequence and marking means everybody split into threes meaning there were multiples? Also, does that mean they all went into the future too?
  • Also, if it was all a circle, it begs the question of how it all startedÖ

Iíd actually be interested to do a rewatch in the future to see if I pick up on new details. I may actually seek out the source material first to give it a read through.
I compeltely agree that
Spoiler:
it seemed far too easy to change Elias Mannix's mind - just one conversation with a man he was about to kill to prevent him from interfering?

Other than that, this was a terrific show.
Old 01-05-24, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,044 Likes on 641 Posts

^Yeah, that spoilered part bugs me. Felt way too easy and convenient.

Also, I felt the pacing of the show could have been better. Maybe cutting some unnecessary scenes, and editing the various stories together differently would have helped.

Otherwise, I liked this show. It was an interesting mystery to start with, then a challenging problem for the characters to solve.
Old 01-10-24, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 206 Posts

I am 3 or 4 in...meh so far.

Another series where getting people to answer a fucking question takes episodes. So tired of that.
Old 01-10-24, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,002 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer

Another series where getting people to answer a fucking question takes episodes. So tired of that.
How else do you expect the streaming services to take a movie idea and stretch it into a full series?!
Old 01-10-24, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by d2cheer

Maybe itís backloaded, but itís largely a self contained story. Youíll get answers to questions. This isnít another Lost experience.
Old 01-14-24, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 206 Posts

I barely got through the last episode it took me a few starts and stops.

UGH

The reminded me of the series Dark for some reason, maybe the time travel. I didn't care for that one either.

Oh well.

True Detective starts today so I have high hopes for that one.

Old 01-18-24, 11:47 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I liked the series up until the last episode where they "broke the rules of time travel." I realize that time travel isn't real so it's not really clear what the rules are. But I can make the case that one of two things should happen:

1. If you go to the past and change something, it triggers an alternate universe and then anything can happen in the future based on the changes you just made. But if you go back to the future, you go back to this new future, not the old one you came from.
OR
2. Everything in the past is fixed. That is, if you go back to the past, you can do anything you want. However, you can't change anything from the way it was when you were in the future, because everything that happened has already happened.

The good (in my opinion) time travel shows establish their rules up front (or somewhere along the way) and stick to them. This one doesn't. Without giving away too much, I just don't think that making people who no longer exist "disappear" suddenly, or having people who exist in a changed present remember things from the other version are what should happen.

Just my opinion, of course. But I was disappointed in the ending. They got into a trap and cheated to get out of it.