Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Ahsoka (S1E08) - Finale - "Part Eight: The Jedi, The Witch, and The Warlord" - 10/3/23

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ahsoka (S1E08) - Finale - "Part Eight: The Jedi, The Witch, and The Warlord" - 10/3/23

Old 10-03-23, 06:29 AM

Received 4,682 Likes on 3,170 Posts

Old 10-03-23, 08:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts
Re: Ahsoka (S1E08) - Finale - "Part Eight: The Jedi, The Witch, and The Warlord" - 10/3/23

Huh. So that’s how that ended.
Old 10-03-23, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Ahsoka (S1E08) - Finale - "Part Eight: The Jedi, The Witch, and The Warlord" - 10/3/23

Well, that was one way to go. Way too little with Baylan and Shin. He went off to meditate or stare off into the distance and Shin is what? Space Road Warrior leading her band across the wastelands doing stuff? I really wish this wasn't volume based, it really showed in the saber fights being so constrained, they didn't really feel epic (like a finale should). So is season 4 of Mando going to become Rebels 2.0 leading into the movie or is there a season 2 in the works for Ahsoka?

Oh, undead troopers...sounds cool, but the execution was kind of off. I kept waiting for one of them to say braaaains!

All that being said, I did enjoy it overall, but I think I was expecting something more epic form the finale.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 10-03-23 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-03-23, 09:08 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 270 Likes on 205 Posts

So Baylan was seeking the Mortis gods?

I don’t know if they got a new stunt double, but that was the best light saber fight with adult Ashoka of the series, All season it looked like she was moving in slow motion until tonight
The following users liked this post:
whotony (10-04-23)
Old 10-03-23, 09:21 PM

Received 816 Likes on 531 Posts

My excitement ebbed and flowed this episode. One minute is was paced well, then it stuttered and felt off.

You could definitely tell when Rosario was “fighting” and when the stunt double was fighting. Took me in about of the fight.

Too little Baylor and Shin. This ep should have been 20 minutes longer and had them in it.

As was said before, this was one way to end it.

But this was just a battle and not the war.

Prediction: The WBWs will get them all home.
Old 10-03-23, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 358 Likes on 275 Posts

Great finale. Loved the series.

I was wondering the significance of the last line “shadows of starlight” and it looks like it’s Phase 3 of the High Republic comic series, which debuts October 4th. Timing on point.

I’m not familiar with Phase 1 and 2, since I don’t read comics.

Fantastic music too throughout the episode.
Old 10-03-23, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Great finale. Loved the series.

I was wondering the significance of the last line “shadows of starlight” and it looks like it’s Phase 3 of the High Republic comic series, which debuts October 4th. Timing on point.

I’m not familiar with Phase 1 and 2, since I don’t read comics.

Fantastic music too throughout the episode.
I didn't realize that was still around. I thought they gave up on that series given the overall response.

Overall, this was a somewhat predictable episode, but I'm wondering if there was more to Baylan's story and they cut it short because of Stevenson's death. It just felt incomplete.

I'm guessing were getting a Star Wars All Stars/Avengers Assemble film to wrap up this story in the near future.
The following 2 users liked this post by candyrocket786:
B.A. (10-10-23), MLBFan24 (10-05-23)
Old 10-03-23, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

It was an okay finale. The zombie troopers were hokey in their reanimation, but inconsistent as to how they all operated. I guess that whole army is a zombie army? There were those two shiny black metal guards that were basically skeletons underneath the armor, but strong as hell. Captain Enoch must also be a zombie.

The fight with Morgan and Ahsoka was pretty awesome. I like how the circular structure joined up with the imperial ship.
Old 10-03-23, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

There's going to be a lot of upset people after that episode

I loved it! I'm a huge fan of Rebels, though, so that's probably why. When Ahsoka asked "has this ever happened before?" I thought Ezra was going to say "Well, one time with Sabine..."

Agree there was too little Baylan , but unfortunately that may be all we get with the untimely death of Ray Stevenson. It just sucks all around, but there's not much else you can do.

Still wish we would have gotten a Freddie Prinze Jr. force ghost, and also we REALLY need to hear Zeb say "KID!" one more time when they reunite.

I hope this has a season 2, or the movie is actually a trilogy. I need more Rebels story!
miller_time22 (10-04-23)
Old 10-03-23, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Definitely a mixed bag.(as well as the series as a whole) I don't know why they didn't even try for a more satisfying conclusion, even with the intent of doing more. I'm not sure they've even earned it to keep this whole storyline going... sure, it's the one thing the die hard fans have at the moment to follow …but I have to say I'm not particularly excited about it going forward.
Old 10-04-23, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One other thing I was thinking about: What if instead of her lightsaber being destroyed, Morgan had actually cut off Ahsoka's hand? Poetry, rhyming and all that. It would have made the final fight seem a little more perilous. I mean we already knew Ahsoka had plot armor and wasn't going to lose.
Old 10-04-23, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Disappointing series. Better than Obi Wan and Boba Fett, but that's not a high bar to clear.

Cartoon level theatrics and storytelling through the entire series. Dumb ass villains with superior numbers and firepower who could have easily killed or at least crippled the heroes time and time again, but none of the baddies seem to be able to hit a target.

During the Morgan and Ahsoka duel the stormtroopers just stand there watching them fight. (Nice job, stormtroopers. You never miss an opportunity to prove how truly useless you are.)

Nice moment when Sabine decided not to desert Ahsoka and remain with Ahsoka on the planet.

However...

Ahsoka and Sabine stuck on a planet in a distance galaxy? No problem. I'm sure Dave Fioni will come up with some newfangled Force power which will teleport them back to wherever they need to go in the next series. Or maybe they can hitchhike with those space whales.

I'll stick with Andor.
Abob Teff (10-15-23)
Old 10-04-23, 06:09 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

I enjoyed the series but it is riddled with flaws.

the first being is that Ahsoka is the most boring character on the show. And Stephen Hawking would do better in the fight scenes than Rosario Dawson.

Never watched Rebels, and probably won't, so many of these characters mean nothing to me, especially Ezra.

I was kind of hoping there would be some resolution with the Baylen Skoll character, whom I thought was fantastic, even dying so that he wouldn't have to be recast in future seasons. But... alas, no.

But again, I did enjoy it more than any other show since Mandalorian season 2.

I struggle to remember where these shows fit in the timeline of the movies.

Is it possible we will get a young Luke and force ghost Anakin scene next season? I mean.... holy shit if we do. Might be a good way to set up an explanation as to why supposedly now good force ghost Ani never bothered to show up to Kylo Ren to set him on a better path which is still a plot point that bothers me.
Old 10-04-23, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 358 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchot

During the Morgan and Ahsoka duel the stormtroopers just stand there watching them fight. (Nice job, stormtroopers. You never miss an opportunity to prove how truly useless you are.)

I saw that too and remembered everything from every Star Wars film or TV series ever - stormtroopers miss a lot. And they didn’t want to risk shooting Morgan.

Or it was like the movie Undercover Brother and they just enjoyed the two ladies fighting
The following 2 users liked this post by MLBFan24:
Franchot (10-04-23), Why So Blu? (10-04-23)
Old 10-04-23, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I struggle to remember where these shows fit in the timeline of the movies.
Right after ROTJ... but Rebels was based just before Rogue One. As a matter of fact, you can see The Ghost (Sabine's ship?) in R1.
Old 10-04-23, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I'm guessing were getting a Star Wars All Stars/Avengers Assemble film to wrap up this story in the near future.
Kathleen Kennedy announced years ago at some D23 or investor meeting that yes, the Mandoverse will have a theatrical culmination that ties all the series (Mando, Ahsoka, Fett, Skeleton Crew) together for a finale

Last edited by GuessWho; 10-04-23 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-04-23, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Right after ROTJ... but Rebels was based just before Rogue One. As a matter of fact, you can see The Ghost (Sabine's ship?) in R1.
Mando season one was 5 years after ROTJ. We may be in the 6th or 7th year by now.

Rebels spanned several years but ended at the time of Rogue One.

Last edited by GuessWho; 10-04-23 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-04-23, 11:53 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchot
Dumb ass villains with superior numbers and firepower who could have easily killed or at least crippled the heroes time and time again, but none of the baddies seem to be able to hit a target.
That attack run by the 2 tie fighters was absurdly comical. On the first run, the T-6 was moving as fast the Noti crawlers and the ties barely disabled them. Then they missed again on the 2nd run where the ship was practically held up by faith. And both get taken down at the same time on the 3rd run

oh, and Thrawn after each skirmish and subsequent loss:
Spoiler:

The following 4 users liked this post by HN:
B.A. (10-10-23), Franchot (10-04-23), Unclejosh (10-14-23), Why So Blu? (10-04-23)
Old 10-04-23, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

Pretty meh finale. Overall it was a good series but definitely had some flaws.
B.A. (10-10-23)
Old 10-04-23, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It always gets me that some Star Wars fans can be so snobbish that they refuse to watch an animated series. Clone Wars and Rebels were great Star Wars stories. I enjoyed Ahsoka so much because it was essentially Rebels season 5. I mean the Star Wars series as a whole is a children's fairy tale, and we're grown men and women still watching it.
The following 5 users liked this post by JTH182:
B.A. (10-10-23), Goldberg74 (10-04-23), Meathead (10-05-23), milo bloom (10-19-23), The Cow (10-04-23)
Old 10-04-23, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
It always gets me that some Star Wars fans can be so snobbish that they refuse to watch an animated series. Clone Wars and Rebels were great Star Wars stories. I enjoyed Ahsoka so much because it was essentially Rebels season 5. I mean the Star Wars series as a whole is a children's fairy tale, and we're grown men and women still watching it.
It's not a refusal, but some initial things turned me off completely to SW animation - Darth Maul living (complete with mechanical spider legs!) I'm sorry but any credibility was just shot right then and there. And the style - certainly a 3D cell shaded approach for the ships and some environments would've been great but I would've been much more drawn to 2D animation for the characters. I know it's gotten better over the years, but I'd still much prefer a Ghibli looking animated show.

Interesting comment about this being Rebels season 5 - that's exactly my issue with it. Not only did it look and feel animated, but there was no attempt at it being a truly standalone mini-series for general audiences, which it should've been. Just fundamental things like set up and payoffs are just not present for the most part.

Finally, we don't just throw out any and all standards of filmmaking if something is aimed for a younger audience. Writing, acting, directing and overall craftsmanship should still matter to everyone.

Abob Teff (10-15-23)
Old 10-05-23, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
I think "snobbish" is a strong term. I did watch Rebels but not Clone Wars (except for some critical episodes my son deemed necessary). I wouldn't call either show very good in total... so episodes were better than others. Lucasfilm / Disney thrust this upon SW fans to expand the lore but have any of the cartoons been so amazing that they pushed the boundaries of either cartoons or story telling? Not in my opinion. Now when we see giant statues or owls on Ahsoka that make no sense, we know it must be due to a cartoon reference from 10 years ago that'll never be explained unless you watch that one episode.
Old 10-05-23, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 238 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
The Ghost is in Episode IX also.

Old 10-05-23, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

I think the series started off so damn good and ended on a way lower note. Baylan and Shin were the best part of the series to me. I never watched rebels so I wasnt attached to Sabine, Erza but they were cool in this.
Old 10-05-23, 06:11 PM

Received 816 Likes on 531 Posts

I have a theory… I think they were going to tell Baylan’s story more this season but after Ray’s death they re-edited his scenes down so they could include them in Season 2 without needing to recast his character.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 10-05-23 at 07:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Goldberg74:
B.A. (10-10-23), Thos19 (10-06-23)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.