Reload this Page >

The Unpopular TV Show/Series Opinion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-07-23, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,158 Posts

I tried Search to see if we had one already and didn't find one. So barring DVDtalk's shitty Search screwing me, here it is.

-I'm only in season 1 but so far Star Trek TOS is a bit of chore to get through.
-M*A*S*H was great, and even as a youngster I watched it faithfully..... but allowing it to become the "Hawkeye/Alan Alda Show" was a misstep.
-Graham Norton is THE GREATEST Chat Show Host on Earth. Everyone else doing a chat show should watch him and learn.
-I think we need to find a happy medium between the New 10ep Series and 26ep Series format.
Old 08-07-23, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts
Re: The Unpopular TV Show/Series Opinion Thread

1 hour procedural dramas don't suck.

It doesn't need to be serialized with a deep mythology to be good or compelling.

6 episode "seasons" on Disney + suck. TV seasons should be at least 13 or more. Anything below that is a mini series.
Old 08-07-23, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 366 Likes on 280 Posts

Game of Thrones is overrated. Sure, when the writers had source material, it was fine. And then they had to write stories without source material towards the end.....
Old 08-07-23, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Game of Thrones is overrated. Sure, when the writers had source material, it was fine. And then they had to write stories without source material towards the end.....
This is the unpopular TV show opinion thread. If you said "man Game of Thrones really stuck the landing" or "hey it really took off after they ran out of book to adapt" then that would be something.
The following 4 users liked this post by fujishig:
bchbdaddy (08-10-23), BDB (08-09-23), PhantomStranger (08-09-23), tasha99 (08-26-23)
Old 08-07-23, 06:33 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

[QUOTE=DJariya; 6 episode "seasons" on Disney + suck. TV seasons should be at least 13 or more. Anything below that is a mini series.[/QUOTE]

In 2023 you're gonna have a hard time with anything going past 10 episodes a "season" unless it's an old Broadcast show already syndicated or sitcom. Even HBO cut down Winning Time to 7 episodes, The Idol was 5. Shows are just too expensive to keep going with those huge episode orders. With the strike dust settles, expect it even lower.

Im the opposite - very few shows need to be 22 long Some shows likes SVU just know how to do it so well at this point its still economical feasible. 8-10 is the new 13 and 15/16 is the new 22.
Old 08-07-23, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

The Idol was only five because it was a fucking complete mess and they had to reshoot many things, going significantly over budget.
Old 08-07-23, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
1 hour procedural dramas don't suck.

It doesn't need to be serialized with a deep mythology to be good or compelling.
I have to agree with that. Both can be great yet there are times I just want a complete story within the hour.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I tried Search to see if we had one already and didn't find one. So barring DVDtalk's shitty Search screwing me, here it is.

-I'm only in season 1 but so far Star Trek TOS is a bit of chore to get through.
I've seen EVERY other Star Trek show, many more than once. I still have not gotten through TOS. Two episodes in and it drags a bit.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (08-10-23)
Old 08-07-23, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

When all was said and done, "Twin Peaks" season 3 aka "Twin Peaks: The Return" on Showtime was a giant POS and an awful continuation of the Twin Peaks storyline.
The following 2 users liked this post by windom:
bchbdaddy (08-10-23), Josh-da-man (08-08-23)
Old 08-07-23, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
When all was said and done, "Twin Peaks" season 3 aka "Twin Peaks: The Return" on Showtime was a giant POS and an awful continuation of the Twin Peaks storyline.
I agree it was very disappointing. However, Part 8 - Gotta Light? viewed as a standalone film set in the Twin Peaks universe is among the best things Lynch has ever done. I don't need to see any of the other episodes ever again though.
Crocker Jarmen (08-08-23)
Old 08-07-23, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 754 Likes on 616 Posts

As a adult I can't watch sitcoms or shows with a laugh track and I feel I am being insulted.
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffTheAlpaca:
Giantrobo (08-08-23), stvn1974 (08-10-23)
Old 08-07-23, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I agree it was very disappointing. However, Part 8 - Gotta Light? viewed as a standalone film set in the Twin Peaks universe is among the best things Lynch has ever done. I don't need to see any of the other episodes ever again though.
Yeah, there was stuff I liked in there like that episode, but not sure really what it had to do with Twin Peaks. I liked seeing the old characters and some of the new ones. Certain scenes were good, but overall it added up to something that makes the whole Twin Peaks experience worse, IMO. If it had been called something other than Twin Peaks, I might have liked it more as some bizarre experiment from Lynch.
Old 08-07-23, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Originally Posted by fujishig
This is the unpopular TV show opinion thread. If you said "man Game of Thrones really stuck the landing" or "hey it really took off after they ran out of book to adapt" then that would be something.

I won't quite go that far but I will say that the last season isn't quite as bad as everyone says it is.

Now let me explain. I didn't watch GoT live like everyone else. I just never got around to it. I was definitely interested so I purposely went out of my way to avoid anything having to do with GoT. I finally binged watched it during the pandemic. So I didn't have all the years of built up expectations like everyone else had. I didn't have time to make my own theories on how the story was going to go only to be disappointed it didn't go that way. I just went right on through the entire series in a few months. Yes the last season was bad compared with the rest of the series. Mainly in that it was disappointing just how rushed it was. There was definitely potential there to go on for several more seasons and I was pretty mad when I found out it was really the show runners who wanted to end things. I thought it had gotten too expensive for HBO and they pulled the plug. It really doesn't flow as a series. The first few seasons goes by so slowly in terms of actual plot happening because there are so many story threads to go through. The build up was just so immense that when the resolution comes I don't know if anything they could have done would have lived up those expectations. But binge watching it for the first time it wasn't nearly as disappointing for me as it was for everyone else.
Old 08-07-23, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 346 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Part 8 - Gotta Light? viewed as a standalone film set in the Twin Peaks universe is among the best things Lynch has ever done.
Agree with this. Incredible episode.
Old 08-09-23, 04:54 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 255 Posts

My wife and I binge-watched Game of Thrones just recently. We both enjoyed the series even if it was a bit bloody at times (watching while we're eating dinner, wasn't quite as bad as watching The Walking Dead while trying to eat, but still...).

My only complaint is that I think that the time investment for watching Game of Thrones ended badly, a rather unsatisfying conclusion to an otherwise great series. I don't know how GRRM would have concluded things, perhaps we'll never know, but the writers could've taken a bit more time to write a satisfying conclusion. I felt let down.
The following 2 users liked this post by kd5:
PhantomStranger (08-09-23), Toby Dramit (08-09-23)
Old 08-09-23, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I won't quite go that far but I will say that the last season isn't quite as bad as everyone says it is.

Now let me explain. I didn't watch GoT live like everyone else. I just never got around to it. I was definitely interested so I purposely went out of my way to avoid anything having to do with GoT. I finally binged watched it during the pandemic. So I didn't have all the years of built up expectations like everyone else had. I didn't have time to make my own theories on how the story was going to go only to be disappointed it didn't go that way. I just went right on through the entire series in a few months. Yes the last season was bad compared with the rest of the series. Mainly in that it was disappointing just how rushed it was. There was definitely potential there to go on for several more seasons and I was pretty mad when I found out it was really the show runners who wanted to end things. I thought it had gotten too expensive for HBO and they pulled the plug. It really doesn't flow as a series. The first few seasons goes by so slowly in terms of actual plot happening because there are so many story threads to go through. The build up was just so immense that when the resolution comes I don't know if anything they could have done would have lived up those expectations. But binge watching it for the first time it wasn't nearly as disappointing for me as it was for everyone else.
Ha, still sounds like it was really disappointing just not as much since you were prepared. I'm also in the camp of "I don't absolutely revile it but man there was a steady drop in quality of the storylines whenever they branched out past the books." Like it doesn't make me sad like, say, the last episode of HIMYM.
Old 08-09-23, 08:44 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Showtime had initially ordered 9 episodes and Lynch threw a fucking hissy fit online and gave him 18. It was a complete POS and the only Twin Peaks was the last few episodes. I know people idolize this man who has done almost nothing in decades, and he sure did deliver a steaming pile of shit. Why was Agent Cooper acting like an idiot for 17 episodes? I donít remember. Terrible, terrible continuation. It should have been 6-8 episodes
bchbdaddy (08-10-23)
Old 08-09-23, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Breaking Bad is not in the top 5 of all time. It's a great show, but many are.
PhantomStranger (08-09-23)
Old 08-09-23, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Criminal Minds or now Criminal Minds: Evolution is one of the best 1 hour crime procedural dramas of all-time.
Old 08-09-23, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 841 Likes on 708 Posts

Like most, I agree the Simpsons fell apart after season 9 and by season 12 had become almost unwatchable. That streak ran all the way until things started turning around when the show went fully HD in season 20. There's a nice stretch of solid seasons from about 21 through seasons 25 or 26. Maybe not at the level of the Golden Age but solid, passable Simpsons. Then it quickly fell apart again and has become nigh unwatchable in recent seasons. Nothing after season 30 is redeemable.
Old 08-10-23, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

The Sopranos is boring and horribly written
Old 08-10-23, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

My wife recently discovered Jeeves and Wooster and kept trying to get me into it and I watch an episode and itís full of blackface and I told her that every single person on that show deserves death by cholera.
Old 08-10-23, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,038 Likes on 822 Posts

I agree with the "Breaking Bad is excellent but..." sentiment. It's a super cartoony show (which isn't bad in and of itself) and lost me for stretches of multiple episodes at a time. Of course, I was watching it week to week back then.

Also, the Tarantino episodes of CSI were awful, as was a vast majority of the series.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

-M*A*S*H was great, and even as a youngster I watched it faithfully..... but allowing it to become the "Hawkeye/Alan Alda Show" was a misstep.
-Graham Norton is THE GREATEST Chat Show Host on Earth. Everyone else doing a chat show should watch him and learn.
-I think we need to find a happy medium between the New 10ep Series and 26ep Series format.
I feel like these are fairly popular viewpoints, especially the 1st, 3rd and 4th.
Giantrobo (08-10-23)
Old 08-10-23, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by MR Round
The Sopranos is boring and horribly written
Old 08-10-23, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,158 Posts

The Sopranos glorified and normalized Organized Crime in much the same way Game of Thrones and related shows glorified and normalized incest. And yes, we all eat it up...
Old 08-10-23, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 578 Likes on 359 Posts

Well since there is a lot of Twin Peaks the Return hate going on I will say that you are all wrong and should be ashamed of yourselves. I think it is brilliant.

If Damon Lindelof was any less talented he would be JJ Abrams.

The Sci-Fi Channel shows such as Twelve Monkeys, Haven, Warehouse 13, Eureka and Continuum are better than most critically acclaimed shows that get nominated and win awards.

Grimm is also underrated.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.