Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S2E09) -- "Subspace Rhapsody" -- Musical episode -- 8/3/23

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S2E09) -- "Subspace Rhapsody" -- Musical episode -- 8/3/23

Old 08-02-23, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

SUBSPACE RHAPSODY ó An accident with an experimental quantum probability field causes everyone on the U.S.S. Enterprise to break uncontrollably into song, but the real danger is that the field is expanding and beginning to impact other ships ó allies and enemies alike.

Written by Dana Horgan & Bill Wolkoff. Directed by Dermott Downs.

Old 08-03-23, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S2E09) -- "Subspace Rhapsody" -- Musical episode -- 8/3/23

Wife and I have a TV date night built around this.

Personally, we have absolutely adored this season.
Old 08-03-23, 10:00 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 590 Likes on 338 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S2E09) -- "Subspace Rhapsody" -- Musical episode -- 8/3/23

This was a bit boring at times for me, and I love musicals. That said, it was a clever way to wrap up some of the storylines quickly without it seeming rushed. Also, Celia Gooding has a fantastic voice. The whole cast is good but she stood out.

The highlight for me was
Spoiler:
the Klingons singing a boy bank number

Old 08-03-23, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

I am not a fan of musicals and this episode did not change my mind about the genre. I appreciate the effort and the voices though.
Old 08-03-23, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 240 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
This was a bit boring at times for me, and I love musicals. That said, it was a clever way to wrap up some of the storylines quickly without it seeming rushed. Also, Celia Gooding has a fantastic voice. The whole cast is good but she stood out.
Gooding was nominated for a Tony for Jagged Little Pill, so no surprise.

I loved it, and chuckled at the two references to Buffy's musical episode.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (08-03-23)
Old 08-03-23, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Christina Chong has a music video out:

Christina Chong's YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/@christinachongx
Bandoman (08-03-23)
Old 08-03-23, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 684 Posts

This show is just an absolute delight. I mean I literally had tears of joy watching this episode. So great to see the behind the scenes as well. Watch the Ready Room! I had no idea Celia Rose has a grammy! It really seems like the executives and producers are much more open and willing to work with the cast and their strengths. They really seem to get along as a cast as well.

OMG The
Spoiler:
Klingons!!!
That was worth the price of admission alone. When Una said nobody wants to see them sing or dance I was hoping we would get to. And sure enough.

Also that opening theme! That's two specially produced opening theme songs this season.

Couple things to nitpick though. I didn't like the way they did the lip syncing. I don't know what it was, I think most of them did the singing themselves right? But it just looked fake. Maybe because it was a weird mix of acting and singing but not being quite broadway? I also thought the songs were fine but didn't really connect with any of them like a typical musical until Celia's number towards the end. That was really good. And the finale too.
Old 08-04-23, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,044 Likes on 641 Posts

Uhura was great, and I thought La'an sounded good, too. Fun episode, and they used the plot device to spend a lot of time on relationships. I liked the scene between La'an and Kirk and the revelation that he has a partner that is pregnant (that's a reference to 'David' from ST3, right?).
Bandoman (08-06-23)
Old 08-04-23, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,295 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Uhura was great, and I thought La'an sounded good, too. Fun episode, and they used the plot device to spend a lot of time on relationships. I liked the scene between La'an and Kirk and the revelation that he has a partner that is pregnant (that's a reference to 'David' from ST3, right?).
Yes. Carol Marcus and their son David.

That news kind of threw a damper on their relationship. However we know Kirk "stays away" from David... am I assume also Carol due to how they wanted David raised so I guess there's an opening there for something to happen.

We knew Chapel with going to go to Korby and fall in love with him based on canon so her leaving is not a surprise. I'm going to assume it's just going to happen between seasons though so she's back next year.

Was nice to see everyone get a song. That was fun. Episode ran a bit long for me.. I would have liked to see the songs cut down about 50%. But I'm not into musicals.

Overall, however, I really enjoyed the episode and this season.. one episode to go!
Old 08-04-23, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,376 Likes on 937 Posts

K-Pop Klingons were worth the price of admission. Wasn't a fan of the episode, but I totally appreciate how they moved several plot points along. ​​​​​
Old 08-04-23, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 628 Likes on 504 Posts

I think this will go down as one of those love it or hate it episodes. I didn't enjoy it at all, but I have a general disdain for musicals. Just not my cup of tea. Wish they would have done a real comedy episode this season instead of this.

But I echo what Deftones said. At least they moved the plots forward.

That being said, I can only imagine William Shatner doing a Star Trek musical number.
Old 08-04-23, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

Loved it, fantastic episode. I enjoy this cast so much. Every episode has been strong this season

Last edited by stingermck; 08-04-23 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-04-23, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I think this will go down as one of those love it or hate it episodes. I didn't enjoy it at all, but I have a general disdain for musicals. Just not my cup of tea. Wish they would have done a real comedy episode this season instead of this.

But I echo what Deftones said. At least they moved the plots forward.

That being said, I can only imagine William Shatner doing a Star Trek musical number.
Boimler and Mariner says hi.
Old 08-05-23, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In my head canon Sam Kirk isn't part of the whole subspace phenomenon and is just going with it and singing of his own accord.
Old 08-05-23, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 628 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Boimler and Mariner says hi.
Good point.

OK - a 2nd comedy episode.
Old 08-05-23, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really a spoiler since I don't know anything beyond this episode.
Spoiler:
but is anyone else pretty worried about Pike's girlfriend?
Old 08-05-23, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 481 Likes on 332 Posts

I'm not a huge musical fan but I enjoyed it more and more as the episode went on. Love this show.

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Does this count?

Old 08-05-23, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Spoiler:
Did you see the preview for next week's episode?

Old 08-05-23, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 481 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Did you see the preview for next week's episode?
Damn... I knew the season was going to end on a dark note but...
Old 08-05-23, 06:58 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Spoiler:
yeah, she might as well of pulled on a red shirt after they talked about planning their vacation and then said she had a priority 1 mission
Old 08-05-23, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Getting back to "Subspace Rhapsody," I overall liked the episode, but was sort of let down by it.

The standard that this episode is going to be judged against is "Once More with Feeling," and it didn't really live up to that one in any way. While both episodes were thematically similar with the musical being used to examine the romantic relationships between the characters, OMWF did this much better and delivered more gut punches.

OMWF also just had better, more memorable songs and more variety in the genres is presented. BH didn't really do this outside of the Klingons doing a boy band/K-Pop number when we would have been expecting some kind of heavy metal Klingon opera piece. No wonder they were so mad about the whole thing.

I was surprised to hear Carol Marcus (and David, indirectly) being brought up. I'm sort of shocked that a continuity wonk like me never considered where Carol fit into Kirk's timeline here, but this if he was in his mid-twenties in Wrath of Khan, then he would be born around this time.

Since we already know it doesn't work out with Kirk and Carol, I wonder if this is really the end of the La'an/Kirk thing. While having those two together is something that pushes canon, I did mention previously that it opens up (not to mention foreshadows) a really dark potential plotline that would be really interesting, not to mention heartbreaking, to play out.

All in all, if I were to give "Once More with Feeling" an A/A+, I think "Subspace Rhapsody" would probably get a solid B. Or maybe a B+ upon further viewings. A musical episode was always going to be more difficult to pull off on Star Trek than Buffy the Vampire Slayer since Buffy is, by nature, more irreverent and based in magic whereas Star Trek is based in science.

But I'm still glad they went there.

Old 08-06-23, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts

It was a fun episode - not as amazing as Once More, but continued this show's pretty amazing second season. I'm just sad we're already at the finale.

The only note that DIDN'T work for me in the musical was the Klingon bit, actually. It was just SO silly that it took me right out of the episode for a second, it almost felt like an old MAD magazine bit. C'mon, of COURSE Klingons would rock out to heavy metal or opera, not some twee boy band bop.
Old 08-06-23, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

It was fine. Didnít love it but didnít hate it.

Maybe Christine leaving is what causes Spock to go all cold.

A bit disappointed they didnít allow somebody to sing a riff ďCaptain, thereís Klingons on the starboard bow.Ē

Also, Iím sure Lower Decks probably address this, but a lot of this crew seems to have swanky quarters. I canít imagine everybody has such spacious digs with a window.
Old 08-06-23, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I also think they missed an opportunity to have a different themed credit sequence, more like the stuff we saw in the episode preview, and, again, more in line with OMWF.

They also should have used Roddenberry's lyrics to the Alexander Courage theme in the credits.
Beyond
The rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 08-06-23 at 08:54 AM.
tanman (08-06-23)