Star Trek: Discovery (Paramount +) -- The 5th and Final season

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (Paramount +) -- The 5th and Final season

Old 05-12-24, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 626 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (Paramount +) -- The 5th and Final season

Originally Posted by Bandoman
From what Moll said apparently it's her right as L'ak's wife to accompany his body. Not sure what her plan is, but that's why the Breen had to take her. I'm also not convinced that L'ak is truly dead (just mostly dead?).

I was thinking that as well. They're all gonna get fat if they teleport everywhere all the time. Gotta go to the bathroom? *zap!*

How does the thing on their shirt know where to send them?
Old 05-13-24, 07:25 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 605 Likes on 347 Posts

Excellent question. [insert treknobabble explanation here]
The following users liked this post:
whotony (05-13-24)
Old 05-13-24, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,963 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
How does the thing on their shirt know where to send them?
It's the same way the automatic sliding doors know when to open when someone is ready to walk through them after standing in front of them and giving several lines of exposition.
Old 05-13-24, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 626 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's the same way the automatic sliding doors know when to open when someone is ready to walk through them after standing in front of them and giving several lines of exposition.

I donít think thatís the same.
Those seem to be similar to any auto opening door that we have now.
Also it doesnít zap you to a specific location that you only have in your brain.
Old 05-18-24, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought that the perky blond librarian in "Labyrinths" was a Klingon, but she's the from same species as the Federation president Red Forman played in the The Undiscovered Country.

Too bad; I really like the idea of a Klingon being a perky blond librarian.
tanman (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,071 Likes on 768 Posts

I was 100% convinced the librarian was going to try to kidnap Book to keep at the library since he's one of the last of his kind. Similar to the TNG episode with Data in the same situation.
Bandoman (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 574 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I was 100% convinced the librarian was going to try to kidnap Book to keep at the library since he's one of the last of his kind. Similar to the TNG episode with Data in the same situation.
That did cross my mind too but I dismissed it pretty quick.
Old 05-20-24, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 742 Posts

I liked the library episode quite a bit. Mainly for the library set. I was all set to make a comment about how amazing the set design has been only to find out it was 100% a real place. Makes sense why it feels like it's a real lived in place. That place is absolutely gorgeous.
Old 05-23-24, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I enjoy this show yet every episode does not feel like it's 800 years after TNG.

TNG and later had Metaphasic shields that could handle the corona of a Star at like 1,000,000K. 800 years past TNG and they can't handle 3,000K? Feels like the ship should have some programmable matter to help with repairs. Yeah, I am nitpicking. Feels like if they do another Star Trek show next after TNG/ Picard yet way before Discovery they would have to act like Discovery is another timeline as there would basically hardly be any new tech over hundreds of years. Was not thrilled with the burn as it knocked the Federation down a lot. I would have likely made it more expansive after 800 years.

Still enjoy it, just picking at it
Old 05-24-24, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 204 Likes on 152 Posts

In the penultimate why are they sending in Breen redshirts? A probe, drone, rover, a viridium pack or anything like that would have been the first option.
Old 05-24-24, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

Not liking this season at all, should have ended this show sooner
Old 05-24-24, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This and season 2 have been the only ones I've enjoyed. Looking forward to the finale next week.
Old 05-24-24, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
Not liking this season at all, should have ended this show sooner
I'm doing okay with it yet the end of season four really felt like it could have been a series final. Or it could have with a couple of tweaks.
Old 05-24-24, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
I enjoy this show yet every episode does not feel like it's 800 years after TNG.

TNG and later had Metaphasic shields that could handle the corona of a Star at like 1,000,000K. 800 years past TNG and they can't handle 3,000K? Feels like the ship should have some programmable matter to help with repairs. Yeah, I am nitpicking. Feels like if they do another Star Trek show next after TNG/ Picard yet way before Discovery they would have to act like Discovery is another timeline as there would basically hardly be any new tech over hundreds of years. Was not thrilled with the burn as it knocked the Federation down a lot. I would have likely made it more expansive after 800 years.
Yeah, 800 years into the future (from the TNG era) here just doesn't feel that different from anything... they're still using dilithium warp drives, transporters, and all of the other stuff we're familiar with. Not to mention they should have the entire galaxy mapped out -- even accounting for the burn -- by that time, and I'm not really sure what Starfleet even does.

And that's another issue I have with both the first two seasons of DISCO and SNW, when they're dropping in races we didn't see until TNG like Cardassians, Bajorans, and Bolians. It just makes it seem like they didn't do much in the century between SNW and TNG. You'd think they would have made first contact with these races in the century between the eras. (DS9 had already retrofitted the Trills into the TOS era.)
Old 05-24-24, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, 800 years into the future (from the TNG era) here just doesn't feel that different from anything... they're still using dilithium warp drives, transporters, and all of the other stuff we're familiar with. Not to mention they should have the entire galaxy mapped out -- even accounting for the burn -- by that time, and I'm not really sure what Starfleet even does.

And that's another issue I have with both the first two seasons of DISCO and SNW, when they're dropping in races we didn't see until TNG like Cardassians, Bajorans, and Bolians. It just makes it seem like they didn't do much in the century between SNW and TNG. You'd think they would have made first contact with these races in the century between the eras. (DS9 had already retrofitted the Trills into the TOS era.)
Also, there is no transporter network or something that can go lightyears. Even before the burn that is still around seven hundred years of exploration and advancement and it kind of dropped off after a couple of things they could likely do on the Picard series. There are things I would have done differently. They still can transport through some things, sensors still don't work through dust. I know, tension for story reasons. I likely would have gone crazy with tech and the Federation (no burn)

No new drive tech in the 700 years before the burn? Okay..............sure. The show can be it's own thing they can't have all this cannon if they want to do other Star Trek shows before it. Plus the burn is depressing, anything they build up gets destroyed.
Old 05-30-24, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What an absolutely wonderful ending.

If you would have told me, in the middle of watching season 1, that STD would have one of the best series finales of all of trek I would have spit my synthehol out my nose.

Thereís something truly wonderful that streaming has opened up the traditional 45 minute time slot to allow episodes like this.

I absolutely loved the coda. Iím a real sucker for extension of stories like that and feel like thatís something that finales like Voyager are sorely missing. TNG and DS9 were great finales as well. Probably the only good ones before STD.

Give me a spin off of the Michael and Book show any day. Something in the style of the Wonder Years or Young Sheldon. 😆

Iím absolutely flabbergasted how well STD stuck the landing.

That ending though.
Spoiler:
Does that lead to the events of the Star Trek Shorts Calypso???

[/spoiler]
The following 2 users liked this post by tanman:
Bandoman (06-03-24), Meathead (05-30-24)
Old 05-30-24, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fantastic finale and season. It really redeemed the whole show for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Meathead:
Bandoman (06-03-24), tanman (06-04-24)
Old 05-30-24, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

That ending though.
Spoiler:
Does that lead to the events of the Star Trek Shorts Calypso???
Yes, accompanying Ready Room episode confirms.

Thought it was a great ending to a sub par, uneven season
Old 05-30-24, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Regarding "Calypso"...

Earlier this season, when we saw what would happen in the Breen won, I had sort of assumed that "Calypso" took place in that timeline.

The ending tonight, though, made me wonder just how they knew about "Craft" and how they knew that the Discovery would need to be at a certain place. Seems like a crazy big loose end there.

I also felt kind of bad for Zora.

And... as for the big reveal about Kovichs, that's been a fan theory for quite a while.

I was a bit let down by the climax of the season-long arc, though. It made a certain amount sense as to what the Progenitor's tech was, and how Burnham dealt with it, but it was very predictable and it felt anticlimactic. And Lak and Moll's arc just kind of fizzled out by the end; it felt kind of obvious that they were only included in the story to provide conflict and urgency and were then just handwaved away when they were no longer needed.

I guess I was hoping for something a little more esoteric and 2001: A Space Odyssey-ish.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 06-01-24 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-01-24, 06:36 AM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
Yes, accompanying Ready Room episode confirms.

Thought it was a great ending to a sub par, uneven season
I'm not familiar with Calypso and what happens. Can someone summarize? I'd love to know how things tie together.
Old 06-01-24, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bluesix
I'm not familiar with Calypso and what happens. Can someone summarize? I'd love to know how things tie together.
Do you have Paramount+? Look for Short Treks - Season 1 Episode 2. Only 18 minutes, well worth it.
Old 06-04-24, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Regarding "Calypso"...

Earlier this season, when we saw what would happen in the Breen won, I had sort of assumed that "Calypso" took place in that timeline.

The ending tonight, though, made me wonder just how they knew about "Craft" and how they knew that the Discovery would need to be at a certain place. Seems like a crazy big loose end there.

I also felt kind of bad for Zora.

And... as for the big reveal about Kovichs, that's been a fan theory for quite a while.

I was a bit let down by the climax of the season-long arc, though. It made a certain amount sense as to what the Progenitor's tech was, and how Burnham dealt with it, but it was very predictable and it felt anticlimactic. And Lak and Moll's arc just kind of fizzled out by the end; it felt kind of obvious that they were only included in the story to provide conflict and urgency and were then just handwaved away when they were no longer needed.

I guess I was hoping for something a little more esoteric and 2001: A Space Odyssey-ish.

I still don't get the connection to Calypso though. Why was Craft so important? How did the federation know about him and where to leave Disco? It's just a weird tie in that raises more questions than it answers. I did like the emotionality of both Calypso and Michael's last send off of Disco.

I agree that the ending of the progenitor's tech was pretty disappointing plot wise. It was pretty much the same as the original episode The Chase but that only took 45 minutes. Again I think Trek just doesn't work as well when it's solely focused on a single plot. But I really like how this season as well as the last season used the plot as a device to get to know the rest of the crew a lot better. The plot took a back seat to the characters and I REALLY appreciated that.
Old 06-04-24, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by tanman
I still don't get the connection to Calypso though. Why was Craft so important? How did the federation know about him and where to leave Disco? It's just a weird tie in that raises more questions than it answers. I did like the emotionality of both Calypso and Michael's last send off of Disco.
Kovich is a time traveler.
The whole Calypso thing feels shoehorned. It seems like they desperately just wanted to close that loop since somehow.
tanman (06-04-24)
Old 06-04-24, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Kovich is a time traveler.
The whole Calypso thing feels shoehorned. It seems like they desperately just wanted to close that loop since somehow.
Excellent. But I still don't understand why Craft is so important. As much as I love the connection I agree that it feels shoehorned in. I don't think Calypso needed a tie in. I think it stood on it's own perfectly fine as a What If? episode. They just didn't need to destroy Disco and it could have worked just fine thousands of years. But now this entire process was put in motion including a red directive just to put Disco in a place where the computer's AI could fall in love and then lose one soldier? Really it was worth all that? I still feel like I'm missing something.

And Kovich being Daniels is cool and all but again I feel like that' just an after thought. I seriously doubt it if Kovich was thought up as Daniels from day one.

But again, all this is fine because the actual plot took a back seat to the characters and the emotionality of the scenes. I don't care about the tie in to Calypso but I absolutely loved the short Calypso itself and getting to see Michael and Book in the future and their happy ending. And her son! That was awesome.
Old 06-04-24, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by tanman
Excellent. But I still don't understand why Craft is so important. As much as I love the connection I agree that it feels shoehorned in. I don't think Calypso needed a tie in. I think it stood on it's own perfectly fine as a What If? episode. They just didn't need to destroy Disco and it could have worked just fine thousands of years. But now this entire process was put in motion including a red directive just to put Disco in a place where the computer's AI could fall in love and then lose one soldier? Really it was worth all that? I still feel like I'm missing something.

And Kovich being Daniels is cool and all but again I feel like that' just an after thought. I seriously doubt it if Kovich was thought up as Daniels from day one.

But again, all this is fine because the actual plot took a back seat to the characters and the emotionality of the scenes. I don't care about the tie in to Calypso but I absolutely loved the short Calypso itself and getting to see Michael and Book in the future and their happy ending. And her son! That was awesome.
I don't know. TBA in a different series or book?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.