Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery (Paramount +) -- The 5th and Final season

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (Paramount +) -- The 5th and Final season

Old 04-14-24, 06:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (Paramount +) -- The 5th and Final season

First 2 were ok. 3rd episode, and we're back to suckiness.
Old 04-15-24, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 991 Likes on 716 Posts

What didn't you like about it? I liked Cruz doing a different part. Seemed like he was enjoying it. And it moved the overall plot forward.
Old 04-25-24, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty good episode this week. The fight between both Michael's could have been completely avoided if she just said like her mother's name or some shit. Same thing she did with the bridge crew.

How many months of prep do you think Book did to get that 6 pack for the 20 seconds of shirt off time?
Old 04-25-24, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 479 Likes on 331 Posts

Episodes 4 and 5 have been great.

Spoiler:
Nice to see the I.S.S. Enterprise again
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (04-26-24)
Old 04-28-24, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

Haven't seen Episode 5 yet, but I thought "Face The Strange" was one of the best episodes Discovery has ever done.
Old 04-28-24, 06:00 PM

Yes it was. If they can stick the landing for this season will go a long way to redeeming the show.
Old 05-01-24, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Writer's room for Ep 5:

"People love Star Wars. Fuck it, we're Star Wars now."

That being said, pretty good episode. It's kind of annoying when an overall mediocre show goes into its last season and all of a sudden has good ideas and writing. I want a spinoff with Booker and his cat going on privateering adventures for Starfleet. Character has grown on me.

Last edited by Noonan; 05-01-24 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-01-24, 06:37 PM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Writer's room for Ep 5:

I want a spinoff with Booker and his cat going on privateering adventures for Starfleet. Character has grown on me.
Every time I see that cat I get triggered by how ridiculous it is. I have a Maine Coon Cat and first of all they shed like hell so there would hair EVERYWHERE and secondly that breed of cat is very clingy and codependent with their owners. Mine literally walks right in front of me at all times until I trip or step on it and cause him to screech like a dying ostrich. Then it gets up and goes right back to walking six inches in front of me. And mine is a male so it's the size of young lion. It also has to lay on me or next to me always. So sorry Michael, that cat WILL be in bed with you and Booker.

I wish the writers would include some of the real world info about living with these cats but maybe by the 25th century they have solved all of these issues through 'Sphere' technology or something.
Old 05-02-24, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by bluesix
Every time I see that cat I get triggered by how ridiculous it is. I have a Maine Coon Cat and first of all they shed like hell so there would hair EVERYWHERE and secondly that breed of cat is very clingy and codependent with their owners. Mine literally walks right in front of me at all times until I trip or step on it and cause him to screech like a dying ostrich. Then it gets up and goes right back to walking six inches in front of me. And mine is a male so it's the size of young lion. It also has to lay on me or next to me always. So sorry Michael, that cat WILL be in bed with you and Booker.

I wish the writers would include some of the real world info about living with these cats but maybe by the 25th century they have solved all of these issues through 'Sphere' technology or something.
You do make some good points.
Old 05-02-24, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 238 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
Every time I see that cat I get triggered by how ridiculous it is.
Big assumption that it's 100% a Earth cat. lol
bluesix (05-04-24)
Old 05-02-24, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

Pretty meh episode this week after the 2 really good ones the past 2 weeks..
Old 05-02-24, 08:21 PM

Definitely meh episode.
Old 05-03-24, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always enjoyed the "mix in with locals" episodes of TNG. This one wasn't bad. Would have been nice of them to fix the towers all over the rest of the planet though.
Old 05-08-24, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 974 Likes on 681 Posts

I don't know. I actually really loved this episode. Felt like real old school Trek.

Episode 5 the Lock and Moll episode I guess I'm in the minority in that I thought it was just okay. Maybe I have to rewatch it again but I don't really get the set up for why they are so close. He was an ostracized prince and she was a rebel and they just fell in love? Ok.

Any why don't all the Breen look like Carrie Fisher?
Old 05-10-24, 05:38 AM

Episode 7 was good... in the endgame now.
Old 05-10-24, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the woman going to provide to the Breen? After the episode in the rift, they no longer had the clues. They didn't get the clue from that part and Discovery already has the next clue in the chain. How is she going to help them get the tech before Discovery, which can jump to any point in the universe in a blink of an eye? Other than that, the episode itself was pretty good.

I also don't get why they have the captain and commander teleport from the meeting room to the bridge when it's literally the next room over. Why does the ship even have doors?
Old 05-10-24, 07:55 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 590 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
What is the woman going to provide to the Breen? After the episode in the rift, they no longer had the clues. They didn't get the clue from that part and Discovery already has the next clue in the chain. How is she going to help them get the tech before Discovery, which can jump to any point in the universe in a blink of an eye? Other than that, the episode itself was pretty good.
From what Moll said apparently it's her right as L'ak's wife to accompany his body. Not sure what her plan is, but that's why the Breen had to take her. I'm also not convinced that L'ak is truly dead (just mostly dead?).

I also don't get why they have the captain and commander teleport from the meeting room to the bridge when it's literally the next room over. Why does the ship even have doors?
I was thinking that as well. They're all gonna get fat if they teleport everywhere all the time. Gotta go to the bathroom? *zap!*
Old 05-10-24, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I remember the part about their bond and her being able to go with the body but wasn't there also talk about Fleet being worried about her helping the Breen get to the tech? Or her telling the Breen she could help them get it? Maybe I'm misremembering.
Old 05-10-24, 08:07 AM

Yes there was talk... at least now the Breen have her and whatever she knows.
Old 05-10-24, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 174 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
From what Moll said apparently it's her right as L'ak's wife to accompany his body. Not sure what her plan is, but that's why the Breen had to take her. I'm also not convinced that L'ak is truly dead (just mostly dead?).
Her plan is to use the tech to bring back her dead husband. Both her and the uncle have an incentive to have him alive again. I guess she thinks the Federation won't do it (or might and put them in jail) because that would be the smarter play to make a deal with them. Of course that doesn't advance the plot. The Federation released her because they didn't want to start a war now and then still have to continue the search. Now they can continue the search, get ready for a war or prevent it.

What happened to the dead Breen's body?

Last edited by Kdogg; 05-11-24 at 04:18 PM.
Bandoman (05-10-24)
Old 05-11-24, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Still enjoying the show. However............ their security is awful at times. I know she had some implate that allowed her to do things without being directed. Think they would put some type of cuff on her that would not allow her to go beyond a given point without being teleported back to holding. Almost a thousand years later and they can't fix an organ from a stab wound or an overdose? Sometimes it feels like Voyager has stronger tech with only a thirty-year jump in Endgame.
Old 05-11-24, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,817 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
Almost a thousand years later and they can't fix an organ from a stab wound or an overdose? Sometimes it feels like Voyager has stronger tech with only a thirty-year jump in Endgame.
That's one of the problems with them making a 700-to-900-year jump into the future. It really doesn't seem that different when it should. Aside from using transporters to go from one part of the ship to another and some "programmable matter" that we rarely see, it doesn't seem all that different from what we saw in the TOS and TNG eras.
Old 05-11-24, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That's one of the problems with them making a 700-to-900-year jump into the future. It really doesn't seem that different when it should. Aside from using transporters to go from one part of the ship to another and some "programmable matter" that we rarely see, it doesn't seem all that different from what we saw in the TOS and TNG eras.
I know the burn set some things back yet there were still hundreds of years before that and 130 after. Even Picard has an artificial heart.

The stuff they are doing does feel like something we would see on Picard. Another 700-800 years after TNG should have a LOT more.

Old 05-11-24, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,817 Likes on 1,936 Posts

It also feels like, by the thirty-second century, they should have all of the galaxy mapped, so there shouldn't be much to actually explore by then.

It also seems weird that people could jump 900 years into the future and then just seamlessly blend in. It's like soldiers from the twelfth century showing up in the modern day and being given command of an aircraft carrier. Seemed like they adjusted really easily to all of the new technological, political, social, and scientific changes that would have occurred in nine centuries. It's strange to see them examining an "old" Soong-style android like they were intimately familiar with them, even though Data and Lore weren't created until nearly a century after they left the twenty-third century.
Old 05-12-24, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Uh duh, yea cause this shit isn't Star Trek folks......

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.