Reload this Page >

Pat Sajak to retire after 2023-24 season of Wheel of Fortune

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Pat Sajak to retire after 2023-24 season of Wheel of Fortune

Old 06-28-23, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,166 Likes on 842 Posts
Re: Pat Sajak to retire after 2023-24 season of Wheel of Fortune

They could have gotten a comedian which would have been better than Seacrest.
They don't want to change what the show is. Sajak has hosted 7000 shows and likely has never said anything that made a viewer LOL.
Old 06-28-23, 11:17 AM

Received 879 Likes on 577 Posts

I would have voted for Andy Richter... at least it would keep him from playing the game.

Old 06-28-23, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
No, they only work a few days a month and shoot 5 to 6 episodes per day. I have a friend who works on Wheel and Jeopardy. They are months ahead.
Pat Sajak worked every other Thursday and Friday, taping six episodes per day.
Wheel of Fortune also taped only nine months out of the year.

4 days a month x 9 month a year = Pat Sajak worked 36 days per year

https://www.outkick.com/pat-sajak-ha...k%20per%20year.

There's lots of time for American Idol, the NYE show and the radio shows.
Old 06-28-23, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Pat Sajak worked every other Thursday and Friday, taping six episodes per day.
Wheel of Fortune also taped only nine months out of the year.

4 days a month x 9 month a year = Pat Sajak worked 36 days per year

https://www.outkick.com/pat-sajak-ha...k%20per%20year.

There's lots of time for American Idol, the NYE show and the radio shows.
ok but what about all those times he and Vanna had to travel to exotic and not so exotic places so they can recreate the set and film the shows in Denver or Fiji or wherever. It must have been so grueling
Old 06-29-23, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 282 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Iíve seen some people want her to take over as host, but sheís not much younger than Pat. So it wouldnít really make sense long term.
CBS did a story on Vanna three years ago. The hosting gig made her nervous
and she wasn't exactly clamoring to do it again...

Old 06-29-23, 12:55 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Vanna White Threatens To Quit 'Wheel Of Fortune' If She Doesn't Get Hefty Raise: Report

The venerable game show co-host has threatened to quit if she does not receive more than double her $3 million salary to get closer to the $15 million annual pay of outgoing host Pat Sajak, TMZ reported Thursday. The entertainment outlet cited ďsources with direct knowledge of the negotiations.Ē

White has pulled down the same annual wage since 2005, Puck reported. Sajak announced earlier this month that heíll retire after his upcoming 41st season. White has been at his side since 1982. She hosted the show temporarily in 2019 while Sajak recovered from surgery.
Old 06-29-23, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let her go. Start fresh with a new team. There are a million beautiful women who would do the job for half of what White makes now.
The following 3 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
etching (06-30-23), JeffTheAlpaca (06-29-23), Sonny Corinthos (06-30-23)
Old 06-29-23, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,961 Likes on 2,024 Posts

This is probably the worst time to for her try to leverage whatever clout she has for a bigger raise. She's sixty-six years old, and with Pat leaving, it presents an opportunity for them to put together a new team or just have a single host.

Not to mention that, since they've gone digital and no longer has actual letters to turn, her presence there is pointless other than thirty seconds of small talk with the host.
Old 06-29-23, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan
White has pulled down the same annual wage since 2005, Puck reported. Sajak announced earlier this month that heíll retire after his upcoming 41st season. White has been at his side since 1982. She hosted the show temporarily in 2019 while Sajak recovered from surgery.
This just goes to show you what a piece of shit Sajak is. He should have used his clout to get her a pay raise while he was still host.
Old 06-29-23, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69
This just goes to show you what a piece of shit Sajak is. He should have used his clout to get her a pay raise while he was still host.
Do you involve yourself in how much your co-workers are paid?

He's not responsible for her life, and he has no obligation to give a damn about how much she gets paid.

She's a grown woman, who has been rich and famous for over 30 years, she's not competent to run her own life? She doesn't have a lawyer and an agent?
Old 06-29-23, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 301 Likes on 221 Posts

I donít know (or care to know) the relationship between Pat Sajek and Vanna White. Without additional info I canít see where it would be Sajeks responsibility to get White a raise but also canít see how him doing so would be looked at negatively by anyone. Thereís been several times when famous cast members used their leverage or status to get coworkers better conditions. Hell this also happens not infrequently among non famous people. I canít remember a single negative comment about anyone doing so in entertainment or actual life.
Old 06-29-23, 08:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
This is probably the worst time to for her try to leverage whatever clout she has for a bigger raise. She's sixty-six years old, and with Pat leaving, it presents an opportunity for them to put together a new team or just have a single host.

Not to mention that, since they've gone digital and no longer has actual letters to turn, her presence there is pointless other than thirty seconds of small talk with the host.

Wait itís all digital now? Like she just points to a digital board now?
Old 06-29-23, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nesbit
I donít know (or care to know) the relationship between Pat Sajek and Vanna White. Without additional info I canít see where it would be Sajeks responsibility to get White a raise but also canít see how him doing so would be looked at negatively by anyone. Thereís been several times when famous cast members used their leverage or status to get coworkers better conditions. Hell this also happens not infrequently among non famous people. I canít remember a single negative comment about anyone doing so in entertainment or actual life.
Do you realize that you completely flipped the meaning of the discussion?

joeblow said that Sajak was a piece of shit for not advocating for White. You are saying that it would have been a positive thing for him to do so.

Those are not the same thing. Trying to help someone when you have no responsibility to do so can be a nice thing, but it is not necessarily so.
And not helping someone when you have no responsibility is just neutral.
The default setting for humanity is minding your own fucking business.

Like I said White is an adult. She can advocate for herself, if she needs to be advocated for. And I guarantee you, she has people on her payroll that are supposed to be advocating for her.

The truth is, for 40 years, she has been making millions for doing a job a trained monkey could do. She's also known for 40 years that she is in a profession that values youth. But she was the luckiest woman on the face of the earth, because the people at WoF were content to keep her in her job -- Don't fix what ain't broken.

She never demanded more because she knew they didn't really need her. Now she thinks that with Sajak leaving, they'd be willing to pay her to stay around for the sake of continuity. They should just dump her ass.

And as for Sajak. How do we know that he doesn't hate her guts? How do we know that he doesn't think that she was being grossly overpaid with $3 mil? Maybe he has spent the last 20 years praying that she would give them a salary ultimatum, and end up getting the boot?
Old 06-29-23, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
joeblow said that Sajak was a piece of shit for not advocating for White. You are saying that it would have been a positive thing for him to do so.

Ö.

The default setting for humanity is minding your own fucking business.
These two things are not contradictory.

You made it sound like Sajek would be stepping on Whites toes or acting out of line if he advocated for her getting more money. I disagree. People do that all the time.

I donít know what planet you live on where people minding their own business is the default but it canít be this planet where weíre on post 89 discussing pat fucking sajek retiring and youíre wildly speculating on the workplace behavior of multiple strangers. I mean come on.
Old 06-29-23, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 792 Likes on 644 Posts

Let her go. Start fresh with a new team. There are a million beautiful women who would do the job for half of what White makes now.
Paige Spiranac could take over Vanna's job

The following users liked this post:
bchbdaddy (06-29-23)
Old 06-30-23, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 282 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Wait itís all digital now? Like she just points to a digital board now?
Yup, could replace her with a AI bot and nobody will notice
Old 06-30-23, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you involve yourself in how much your co-workers are paid?

He's not responsible for her life, and he has no obligation to give a damn about how much she gets paid.

She's a grown woman, who has been rich and famous for over 30 years, she's not competent to run her own life? She doesn't have a lawyer and an agent?
I'm just reminded of the Friends situation, which went something like: The different cast members were paid differently depending on who producers liked best. One of the popular friends threatened to quit unless they all got a raise and were paid equally. They all ended up getting a million an episode or something like that after that.
Old 06-30-23, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

These two things are not contradictory.

You made it sound like Sajek would be stepping on Whites toes or acting out of line if he advocated for her getting more money. I disagree. People do that all the time.

I donít know what planet you live on where people minding their own business is the default but it canít be this planet where weíre on post 89 discussing pat fucking sajek retiring and youíre wildly speculating on the workplace behavior of multiple strangers. I mean come on.
Two things not being contradictory do not mean they are the same thing. Helping someone can be a positive action, and not helping someone can be a completely neutral inaction. When there are 20 cars stopped at a red light, and there is a homeless guy standing there with a "Please Help" sign, are all the people in those cars bad people if none of them give the guy money?

People do lots of shit all the time that is none of their fucking business. Again, she is grown adult with professional representation. She can handle her own shit. And if she can't, that's her own problem. It's not Pat Sajak's place to run her life.

Do you think people speculating about people they have never met is the same thing as actively involving yourself in an attempt to alter the life of a coworker?

One of my coworkers is experiencing complications from surgery on his leg. The extent of my involvement in his personal business is to inquire about his health and express sympathy. It's not my place to give him a bunch of half-assed medical advice. And it sure as fuck is not my place to show up at his doctor's appointments and ask if I can join him in the exam room.
Old 06-30-23, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Didnít say they were the same thing man. Not even reading the rest because iím not continuing an argument in the pat sajak retirement thread for all of the reasons.
Old 06-30-23, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I'm just reminded of the Friends situation, which went something like: The different cast members were paid differently depending on who producers liked best. One of the popular friends threatened to quit unless they all got a raise and were paid equally. They all ended up getting a million an episode or something like that after that.
Well, it was not based on who the producers liked best, it was based on which characters from the ensemble were considered more vital to the show's popularity, and de facto leading characters (Ross and Rachel) and who were supporting characters (Joey and Phoebe).

And yes, they made an agreement to sort of unionize and go forward as a team of equals. Good for them. That was a decision they made. Another possible decision would have been for them each to act as individual entities with their own individual agency, which is what happens on almost every other TV show.

Do you think Hugh Laurie and Olivia Wilde were paid the same salary on House? Should David Faustino been paid the same salary as Ed O'Neill on Married w/ Children?
If David Faustino or Olivia Wilde threatened to quit lest they get raises, were Hugh and Ed obligated to advocate for them?

Seinfeld is one of the most lucrative syndicated TV shows in existence. Of the hundreds of millions of dollars, that cable channels and Netflix pay to run the show, creators/producers Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld participate in those profits, while Jason Alexander, Michael Richards, and Julia Louis-Dreyfuss do not, and just make actors' residuals Should Seinfeld have given his castmates an ownership stake in the show? That would have been a really nice thing for him to do.
Old 06-30-23, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn’t say they were the same thing man. Not even reading the rest because i’m not continuing an argument in the pat sajak retirement thread for all of the reasons.
You should read the rest.
Old 06-30-23, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

K i did. Have a nice one.
Old 06-30-23, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

K i did. Have a nice one.
Enjoy your holiday weekend if you have one.
Old 06-30-23, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I donít but i do just work a 3 day work week so every weekend i donít volunteer to work overtime on feels like a holiday.
Old 06-30-23, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it was not based on who the producers liked best, it was based on which characters from the ensemble were considered more vital to the show's popularity, and de facto leading characters (Ross and Rachel) and who were supporting characters (Joey and Phoebe).

And yes, they made an agreement to sort of unionize and go forward as a team of equals. Good for them. That was a decision they made.
Yep. And I stand by the fact that if I knew my co-worker hadnít gotten a raise in almost 19 years, and I could EASILY have used my clout to force the company to cough up some more money, I would have gladly done so. And I will absolutely 100% judge people who think differently. But thatís just my opinion, and who cares what I think? I know shitty Pat doesnít.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.