Reload this Page >

Favorite mistake made on a tv episode?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-12-23, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea(tv series)
Episode-Return of the Phantom(starring Alfred Ryder)

At the very beginning the Phantom is being chased down a corridor and he goes into a storage closet(where he is shot dead through the door by crew members of the Seaview).
As soon as they shoot through the door then you see many bullet holes but a second later the bullet holes are gone only to return. Then when the crew members open the door the Phantom falls face first to the floor. When he does this the door has no bullet holes on the other side of the door. Since this is also the ending of the original Phantom episode then I don't know for sure if this was all recreated or this existed on the original episode.
Old 06-12-23, 01:53 PM

Received 139 Likes on 104 Posts
Re: Favorite mistake made on a tv episode?

This was a syndication-only mistake: Angel S2E1 was filmed letterbox and had the sides chopped for its original 4:3 run. The opening scene has all the characters marching through a gym to fight a demon in hiding. There are mirrors all over the walls so Angel, being a vampire, can't be seen as the viewer's eye follows the gang along, not realizing they are watching the reflection until the camera angle changes and you realize Angel was there the whole time. This was all done with a simple trick of having the actor stand to the side and jump into the group at just the right moment. Later, when widescreen televisions became common, the station ran HD versions based on the original, full-letterbox shots, which meant that now you could see the actor waiting in the wings to hit his mark.
Old 06-12-23, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 256 Likes on 179 Posts

Not really a mistake, but glaring. The FBI was sponsored by Ford. Naturally the actors drive Ford vehicles. One episode had a scene at an airport. Big airport, LA or something. The parking lot is packed full. Every single car in the parking lot was a current model Ford.
Old 06-12-23, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,115 Likes on 808 Posts

On the TV series SOAP, Billy Crystal's character was a homosexual, but they had a storyline where he was going to get a sex change operation. Homosexuals and transsexuals are not the same thing.
Old 06-12-23, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,035 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
On the TV series SOAP, Billy Crystal's character was a homosexual, but they had a storyline where he was going to get a sex change operation. Homosexuals and transsexuals are not the same thing.
Isn't there an overlap, though, and wasn't Billy Crystal's character going to do it in order to marry his boyfriend (before he was dumped)?
Old 06-12-23, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 961 Likes on 732 Posts

This never made it to air, obviously, I saw it on one of those bloopers shows back in the day. But there was an episode of The Incredible Hulk where Bill Bixby's David Banner had befriended a woman who was being abused by her husband. Except when he has the heart to heart talk with her, with all the necessary gravitas, he keeps saying "your husband is an egg beater".

It's probably on YouTube somewhere
Old 06-12-23, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,358 Likes on 4,351 Posts

I did love that on Frasier, they had a visiting Sam Malone correctly point out that Frasier had told him that his dad was a scientist and was dead (and he never mentioned that he had a brother). Better than just ignoring in incongruency, which is what other shows would have done.
The following users liked this post:
Vipper II (06-12-23)
Old 06-12-23, 06:16 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
This never made it to air, obviously, I saw it on one of those bloopers shows back in the day. But there was an episode of The Incredible Hulk where Bill Bixby's David Banner had befriended a woman who was being abused by her husband. Except when he has the heart to heart talk with her, with all the necessary gravitas, he keeps saying "your husband is an egg beater".

It's probably on YouTube somewhere
3:10 here --
The following users liked this post:
Thos19 (06-15-23)
Old 06-12-23, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I did love that on Frasier, they had a visiting Sam Malone correctly point out that Frasier had told him that his dad was a scientist and was dead (and he never mentioned that he had a brother). Better than just ignoring in incongruency, which is what other shows would have done.
Considering the two Frasiers are completely different characters it makes sense that anything about the Cheers version would carry over at all.
Old 06-13-23, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 961 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
That's the one. I love how he's so serious in it.

For one that actually made it to air, in That 70s Show, when Donna was having her bachelorette party at the strip club, Kitty Forman (Debra Jo Rupp) gets up on stage and starts dancing with one of the male strippers. Mila Kunis is in the background just absolutely losing it with laughter.
Old 06-13-23, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Didn't they try to put a real rock on Curly's head when the Three Stooges were in prison and Curly said wait I'm no dummy that's a real one and Larry and Moe started laughing?
Old 06-13-23, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
This is called lampshade hanging, or just lampshade hanging.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...mpshadeHanging
Old 06-14-23, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 238 Likes on 142 Posts

The Starbucks cup in GOT was the first thing that came to mind, still makes me laugh.
Old 06-14-23, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 256 Likes on 179 Posts

This thread should require that you not only point out a glaring error, but give an explanation why it actually isn't an error. Like Marvel comics used to do in the letters pages to win a No-Prize.
The following 2 users liked this post by rw2516:
story (06-14-23), Thos19 (06-15-23)
Old 06-14-23, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts

On a Wonder Years episode taking place in 1969, there’s a Pole Position arcade game in the background with the big “ATARI” on the side modified to say “TATARI”.
Old 06-14-23, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
On a Wonder Years episode taking place in 1969, there’s a Pole Position arcade game in the background with the big “ATARI” on the side modified to say “TATARI”.
I imagine they would have to pay Atari to use their name. I'm sure they meant to alter it to save money. Not a mistake.
Old 06-14-23, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts

Read it again- the episode took place in 1969.
Old 06-14-23, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Also way too early for Pole Position.

I'll add one: a mistake that the producers were aware of but did it anyways. On Star Trek the Next Generation the episode Relics had Scotty rescued from the transporter pattern buffer after 70-some years. He comments that James Kirk himself probably pulled the Enterprise out of mothballs to rescue him.

A few years later, he shows up in the movie Generations and sees Kirk die when the Nexus hits the Enterprise B. The writers of Generations said they were aware this could cause a discrepancy with what he says in Relics, but didn't want to miss an opportunity to have Doohan onscreen one more time.

The explanation can be that Scotty's memory was a bit scrambled after being in the buffer for so long and didn't remember everything right away. It came to him later and that's why he was extra depressed later in the Relics episode.
Old 06-14-23, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Read it again- the episode took place in 1969.
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Also way too early for Pole Position.
There were no arcade machines like that until the 1970s. And I don't think they really took off until the late 1970s with games like Space Invaders. The Wonder Years was still set in the pinball era.
Old 06-14-23, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

i don’t have an example but the producers of Married .., with children knew they made a huge mistake by introducing Seven as a member of the cast/family. They rectified that mistake by making him disappear in the next season and putting his face on a milk carton.

Last edited by chowderhead; 06-14-23 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-15-23, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

I love how in season 4 of The Simpsons, when Homer goes to Lisa's parent-teacher night, he sits in the desk next to a man who is clearly supposed to be Ralph's father. Clearly, this was put in before they decided Ralph was Wiggum's kid later on that same season.

Old 06-15-23, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I love how in season 4 of The Simpsons, when Homer goes to Lisa's parent-teacher night, he sits in the desk next to a man who is clearly supposed to be Ralph's father. Clearly, this was put in before they decided Ralph was Wiggum's kid later on that same season.

Waylon Smithers was an African-American character in the first season.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waylon...ppearance).jpg

Old 06-15-23, 07:27 AM

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,171 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
i don’t have an example but the producers of Married .., with children knew they made a huge mistake by introducing Seven as a member of the cast/family. They rectified that mistake by making him disappear in the next season and putting his face on a milk carton.